Next AGM Brings Possible New Scoring System & More

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Feb 13, 2018.

1. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Instead of compulsory attendance of all five Super 750 tournaments, I think BWF should require top players to attend only four out of five. It think that should make most people happier.

2. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Agree, I think the formula should be 3-4-3 (all super 1000 are compulsory, 4 out of 5 for 750 and 3 out of 7 for 500)

GareldR likes this.
  3. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Yes.

And for Super 300, I think BWF should require top players to compulsorily attend only one tournament per year, which must be outside your continent.

4. Master

Master Regular Member

Some documents available at http://bwfcorporate.com/about/forum-agm/

01. Order Paper - Notice of the BWF AGM on 19 May 2018.pdf [<--- Click to access the .PDF file]

The Council of the BWF proposes the following to the membership for approval.

4.1 Laws of Badminton – Clauses 7, 8 and 16

o Clause 7 – Scoring System
    o Clause 8 – Change of Ends
    o Clause 16 – Continuous Play

To approve amendments to the Laws of Badminton, Clause 7.1, 7.2, 7.4, 7.5, 8.1, 16.2 and 16.5 as below (amendments are in red).

It is proposed that these amendments to the Laws of Badminton will come into effect in week 50, starting Monday 10 December 2018.

Rationale

Given the analysis and testing on the proposed amendments, the BWF Council proposes this new scoring system because it will bring more peaks, provide more excitement and greater entertainment value for spectators and fans and it will also shorten the length of matches as described in the material on pages 13-24 of this annual report. [Read it here: BWF Annual Report & Financial Statements 2017.pdf]

The amendments to Clause 8.1 is a consequence of the amendments to the scoring system (Clause 7.1, 7.2, 7.4 and 7.5). The amendments ensures the continuation of the current principles for change of ends.

The amendments to Clause 16.2 and 16.5 is to ensure more efficient field of play management.

4.2 Laws of Badminton – Continuous Play, Misconduct & Penalties

To approve amendments to the Laws of Badminton, Clause 16.6.3 as detailed below - (amendments are in red).

It is proposed that this amendment to the Laws of Badminton will come into effect immediately.

Rationale

This is a clarification and it enables umpires to warn or sanction a player for inappropriate gestures that may not be offensive but are inappropriate for the situation in which the gesture is made.

4.3 BWF Statutes – Section 4.1.4 – Other Scoring Systems

To approve amendments to Other Scoring Systems and rename this as the Alternative Laws of Badminton as detailed below (amendments are in red).

It is proposed that these amendments to the Laws of Badminton will come into effect in week 50, starting Monday 10 December 2018.
    Rationale

This is a consequence to the change of the Laws of Badminton – Scoring System as detailed above in agenda item 4.1.

... to be continued below

pcll99 and samkool like this.
  5. Master

Master Regular Member

... continued from above post

4.4 BWF Statutes – Section 4.1.9 – Time-Outs and Advice

To approve a new section to the BWF Statutes which defines the procedures for Time-Outs and Advice (amendments are in red).

Rationale

The new section details how Intervals, Time Outs and Advice work operationally.

4.5 Laws of Badminton – Clause 9 - Service

To approve amendments to the Laws of Badminton to Clause 9.1.6 and 9.1.7 as below to take effect 10 December 2018 following sufficient time for testing of Fixed Height Experimental Law 9.1.6.2. (amendments are in red) …

AND

To mandate to Council the following:
    1. To make changes to the service height if the experience from international tournaments proves that this is more suitable.
    2. To reinstate Law 9.1.7 in case the experience shows the need to keep this rule related to the shaft and racket head pointing in a downward direction.
    3. To reject the new service height rules in case the experience with the rules are not successful, and revert back to the original service rules.
    4. To make any such changes in point 1, 2 and 3 above must be made and not again changed by Council latest by 10 December 2018.

Rationale

To make the service rules and the judging simpler and more objective to secure higher level of fairness in matches for the players.

For many years players especially, and to some extent service judges, have provided feedback that the service rules have been difficult to manage. This has been a key area of concern and many players (especially doubles players) have been struggling with the interpretation of these Laws. Furthermore the Badminton Association of Malaysia in May 2017 at the AGM, put forward a proposal to agree on a fixed service height at 1.10 m or whatever height was appropriate after having tested the system in tournaments. This proposal was accepted by the BWF AGM and preparations have been ongoing to introduce the test – giving players a transition period before starting the test and making sure that service judges were trained.

Changing to a fixed height provides the following:
    • Easier for umpires to determine the height (the bottom rib is not always easy to determine). This in turn will create consistency in the service judging, which is one of the things players have been requesting.
    • Possible to include tools to help service judges to assess the serve – which is difficult with a service height that can vary a lot depending on the height of the player. Presently, a conventional physical tool has been created for the experimental period, where the feedback from many service judges has been that this does make it easier for them to assess the serve.

The implementation date of 10 December 2018 has been proposed to give players a transition period to practice and get used to the new Laws. The service height Laws will continue as experimental laws until 10 December 2018. The implementation date is set, so the new rules will be implemented at the HSBC World Tour Finals in December.

Secondly, at the time of the AGM the Service Height rules have only been used for less than three months and Council wishes to be given a mandate to make any adjustments to the Laws in advance of the Olympic and Paralympic Qualification period starting in 2019, based on a greater time frame for the experimental Fixed Height Service Law.

4.6 Alternative Laws of Badminton - Service Laws

To approve amendments to the Alternative Service as detailed below (amendments are in red). This shall come into effect on 10 December, notwithstanding the delegation provided to Council to amend based on the Experimental Fixed Height Service Law implementation currently underway.

Rationale

The alternative Service Laws may apply to contexts where proposal 4.5 above to Laws of Badminton to Clause 9.1.6 and 9.1.7 do not apply.

... to be continued below

6. Master

Master Regular Member

... continued from above post
    4.7 Approval of Amendments to the Constitution

To approve amendments to the Constitution as presented in Annexure B

Rationale

The amendments enhance the content of the constitution around key areas of the BWF’s work. The amendments also reduce repetition and increases clarity.

Therefore there are two types of amendments:
    • those that are substantive and
    • those that are more superficial in nature including sub-edits, amendments to enhance clarity of meaning of existing content and reduction of repetition of what exists elsewhere in the constitution.

The notes in Annexure B against the proposed amendments gives the description of the change and where appropriate, the rationale.

4.8 Approval of Amendments to the Constitution

To approve amendments to clause 35 and 35.1 of the BWF constitution.

Rationale

The amendments here retain the right of the General Meeting as the only body able to amend the Laws of Badminton, however, the amendments allow Council to amend any of the subsections to the Laws (formally Appendix).

The BWF rules and regulations have been restructured and the naming conventions have changed and they are now published as BWF STATUTES.

The subsections of the Laws of Badminton were previously called Appendix which are subsections to the Laws of Badminton and operationalize the wording of the Laws.

The Council has the authority to amend Recommendations to Technical Officials, to Appendix 4 (Vocabulary), to Appendix 6 (Additional Equipment for Para-Badminton) and to Appendix 7 Index to the Laws of Badminton.

Appendix of the Laws and now called Sections and currently consist of:
    Section 4.1.1. Instructions to Technical Officials (ITTO)
    Section 4.1.2. Variations in Court Equipment
    Section 4.1.3. Handicap Matches
    Section 4.1.4. Other Scoring Systems
    Section 4.1.5. Vocabulary
    Section 4.1.6. Imperial Measurements
    Section 4.1.7. Additional Equipment for Para-Badminton
    Section 4.1.8. Instant Review System

The amendments proposed therefore empowers the Council to be able to amend these Sections which are operational in nature.

The amendments proposed maintain the right of only a General Meeting to change the Laws of Badminton.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon

The above amendment is long overdue!

I wonder how this would work with the request for mop up and towel down.

#27 pcll99, Apr 14, 2018
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2018
  8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Time outs are a good introduction. Coaches cannot consult with the players at change of ends. If they do, will there be a warning?

9. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    damn right!
    the plan is to move the coaches away from the court. no more court side seating. now umpires will have to monitor players like in tennis, to make sure they are not receiving hand signals from their coaches during play.

it will be interesting to see which players/pairs begin to struggle without coaching between every point...

phihag likes this.
  10. Master

Master Regular Member

It's the time to use a wireless audio transmitter/receiver I think :D

11. phihag

phihag Regular Member

I am very surprised that BWF wants to prohibit coaching in intervals, too. What is the rationale for that? It's not saving time - professional coaches should leave the court in time (and virtually always do), and with TV the interval durations are fixed anyways. And I found it very interesting to hear what coaches have to say, particularly when the commentators can translate the languages I don't understand.

12. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    i never liked the forced 1 minute interval @ 11 to start with. it was a momentum killer.

in essence they are eliminating the forced interval @ 11. they aren't eliminating coaching, but rather, they are giving each player/pair the flexibility to get coaching when they want it, and also to get coaching if your opponent requests their break. i believe there is an allowance for 1 more time out during the 5th game, which can be requested by either side.

i like this upcoming rule change. it rewards athletic intelligence as individual sports should do.

13. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

ban the coaches from behind the court? yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeees

i love it!

i find them annoying when i watch on youtube and i found it even worse when i watched the Deutsche Meisterschaft live

14. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    I guess BWF's rationale for this is to level the playing field.

If a particular country has a lot of former Olympic and World Championship medalists as coaches, that country will continue its domination unless and until BWF does something. That day has finally come.

15. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

ohhh, we have a time out finallyy!!!?????
    yeayyyyy

Still hating the 5x11 system though

16. Phonjomtien

Phonjomtien New Member

11 point system is ridiculous. Often players can get a run of 4 or 5 points but under 21 points there is time to fight back. Under 11 point system pretty much game over making the game a lot less interesting to watch.

Sent from my U FEEL using Tapatalk

17. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    they have time to fight back in the 2nd game, 3rd game & 4th game. if they can't recover by games 3 & 4 they would have lost in 2 straight games anyway in the 21 x 3 format.

18. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Yes, why create extra steps if you want to make badminton more viewable? Just make it as simple as possible.
    Not sure about the 5x11 either, but we'll see. I do like the 1.15m service height, simpler and fairer than the previous rule, but don't like the tools yet.

19. Cesium

Cesium Regular Member

Web Developer
    In my opinion it is not the 21x3 format that is hurting badminton viewership. It's the sub-par commentary and camera angle. Neither of those highlights the essence of badminton, which is fast and explosive movement. Watching these tournaments, I feel like I'm watching a golf match, or a chess game. The commentary does NOT suit the sport that is being played.

With all these tournaments back-to-back, these matches are being pushed out like a factory assembly line. Of course, to a badminton enthusiast, having access to all these games is great. I personally cannot get enough of them.

But to the average viewer, these matches need to be packaged into a better, more lucrative product. Something that can be hyped, that can be marketed.

scamp, pcll99, OhSearsTower and 2 others like this.
  20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The recent Badminton Asia Championships were quite interesting The umpires were very proactive trying to reduce the time between points. You don't get much time to see a replay of the point... In fact no time at all.

However, I loved the fact that the camera zoomed in on the coaches and players interaction. And that you can hear them clearly talking with the body language.

stradrider likes this.