How to start a stringing service

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by AdamMorin, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The WISE is better, it does a professional grade job.

DarthHowie likes this.
  2. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

mybadmintonstore ships internationally. I have looked at a couple things on that website and even in US dollars its cheaper then some things here. One Gamma flyclamp is $79.99CDN, apparently on mybadminton it is $48-$80 CDN for a PAIR, not just one. crazy. I may have to shop around for accessories and tools instead of trying to buy from 1 place. Save me hundreds of dollars probably.

3. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

Wise is a popular choice for inexpensive linear tensioner. A lot of people buy manual machine and than upgrade with Wise. However the usual recommended choice really is the more expensive Gamma 6004 upgraded with Wise (by the way clamping system with 6004 is much better than on all the cheaper machines). The upgrade from a smaller drop weight machine is really not the best choice as the base is much smaller and will not be solid upgraded with wise that will stick out like crazy. If you want to string a lot of rackets with it it will be less than ideal. Just look at this photo...
    Gamma-ProgressionII-602-WISE.jpg

Gamma ELS tensioner seems to me really good, not worse than Wise at all. Works really just fine. Surely more quiet and smooth than wise as linear tensioners have more mechanics in them. Some people don't like it as it is slightly less convenient because you have to go with a string around the gripper compared to just putting the string in the Wise, but I don't think it's a big deal, you get used to it very quickly.

Although, even though we know it is not true, but people always think that if you got an electronic machine your stringing is much better. Psychology... Much easier to impress customers with it when you starting. :cool: Saying it from personal experience ;).

4. stradrider

Yes, Wise does professional grade job, so does the Gamma. Not sure why the hate...

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Drop weight with upgrade option to electronic sounds good (or electronic with downgrade option to drop weight). At least if you have the electronic one, and if it needed a repair, you have the backup of going back to manual.

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    It's not hate, it's just a lot more expensive, when there's something better on the market.

Yeah, I don't think dropweight is going to be a hindrance to the flow of work when they're just starting out. It's a pretty sensible choice. I'll buy a WISE, one day. Maybe.

7. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

appreciate all the replies.

Yeah I am in a tough decision spot. Luckily I am in no hurry to make it!

If I go with the Progression II(drop weight) machine, it has no stand, minimal tools (2 awls and 1 plier). So I would be looking at:
    Machine
    extra tools (pliers, starting clamps ect)
    WISE upgrade
    extra clamps (fly clamps, possible fixe clamps)
    stand/base
    a cover would be nice to deter my kids

I would be looking at around $2200ish CDN at a MINIMUM, that doesn't include any shipping or importing costs on some little things(since its not a 1 stop shop for everything)

or

I could do the Gamma 6004 + WISE upgrade, the 6004 comes with literally everything I would need but fly clamps. Includes a stand, cover, tool tray, rolling base.

6004 + WISE upgrade + 2 fly clamps would put me at around $3100ish, but would include shipping and it would be a 1 stop shop in canada, so no additional taxes or fees.

So it's a tough call. Yes you save like $1000 (MAYBE depending on the costs of everything together) which is definitely not chump change. Or you pay the extra and get a deadly setup all in 1 shot, done deal, good forever with no headaches..

hmm....

8. stradrider

Surely if you have budget for 6004 + Wise, that will be light years ahead of the drop weight + wise. Clamping system will be way better than on cheaper machines and it is probably more important than the tensioner. No thinking twice about it.

9. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Yes, I guess if you factor in the fact that naturally all of the components become better quality the more money you spend.

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I think you need to factor how many string jobs you need to do to cover the cost. How much will you charge for labour? 15-20CAD?
    You only need 100-150 racquets. Probably pay itself off in a year.

11. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Yes, I will probably charge around 20cdn in labour. I will have to look into my connections to see how much I can do in a year. Worst case scenario it takes me 1.5-2years to pay it off. Then it's a money maker after that.
    The thing I am the most excited about is being able to string my own racquets. I love bg66um strings. They break like crazy though. So I can just restring myself.

12. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Is there any risk factor in the racquet if it is clamped properly? Should I start stringing on cheap racquets or can I just string my 250$ racquets right off the bat? No idea how to ease into stringing

13. stradrider

I had both and I can say that the difference is not progressive with the Gamma 6004. It is an entrance into the pro quality clamping system. Here is my experience.

All the lower Gamma machines have simple mount system with quick action clamp bases. They are working well but have small problems that are going to annoy the hell out of you if you have to string multiple rackets at a time. The quick action clamp bases (it's the one with with large black handle) are well done however they are just a simple screw with handle (ok, there is a bearing inside and a spring so it jumps back when released). The switch action clamps as in 6004, I think would cost more than 500 usd for two if bought separately, have mechanism that locks the base at the desired tension, without so much force needed from you and, when adjusted, will not move at all when locked and yet easily can be moved with one hand when released. The quick action clamp cannot be adjusted to slide freely on the table, and as a result you have to use two hands to move it - it's every time you clamp the string... It makes huge difference when trying to reduce stringing time.

The quick mount system is not actually that quick also - there are three knobs on top, each support have to be tightened separately. The quick mount system have towers locked with a screw and can be moved only with a key. So no easy way to change to tennis or those crazy pear shaped badminton rackets. The 6004 self centering suspension mount have adjustable towers that move with the knob in the bottom and there is only one knob on top to tighten the supports (there is one more hidden knob inside the tower to move the center support but you will rarely use it since you can move the towers). It is so much quicker to position the racket correctly so that the supports are exactly in the right spot on the racket head with the 6004.

The way quick mount 3 upper top knobs made, with corners that are not rounded, they catch the string when threading the mains all the time (the quick action clamp handle does this too because of the hook shape). It gets really annoying, and even when you hold the string so it goes over them they still occasionally catch it (because there are three knobs!). On the more expensive machine the knobs are rounded and they rarely catch the string (still can happen on occasion... :rolleyes:).

I am not saying that quick mount system is bad, just (perhaps on purpose) made in a way that it is ok to string a few rackets but if you are going to string a lot you would really want to upgrade... So I am thinking, if you are planning to run a business, you would like to start there from the beginning, unless you can easy sell the cheaper machine so you can go up...

14. stradrider

There is always a risk when you learn how to string especially if you use higher tensions. You should do at least 10 cheap rackets with cheap strings starting with lower tension and than going up to make sure you don't damage anything. When you get hand of it you should try high tension, to test if there is something that can damage the racket. It can take up to 50 rackets perhaps before you do it really well... It's not just breaking the rackets, you can scratch the frame using awl or string mover, the string can break in the middle of stringing and as a result damage the racket near supports or possibly crack it.

It will take even longer time until you will get everything right so that you can say it feels awesome.

Remember it's the stringer who makes a good stringing, not the machine, and as any skill it takes time to master...

15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I wouldn't bother. From what you describe, if you are the only stringer for miles and miles across several communities, with a less than two week turnaround, racquets will come in pretty quickly. Unless you start breaking racquets :)

If you think you are going to be doing this for more than a couple of years, then buy the more expensive model. You can always sell second hand and recoup outlay if you decide not to continue .

Start off with cheaper racquets and your own ones and less than 25lbs tension. After 15-20 racquets, you will get the feel for it and gradually going higher.

16. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Well first thing is first. I will need to start saving some money over the summer!

17. chanman87

chanman87 Regular Member

Banker
    at the price u might as well get a set of Yonex Clamps (best in the business)
    if u r close enuff to the USA, i would suggest u just order a machine in the USA and pickup at a POBox or something. The markup for gamma machines in canada is stupid
    and order the clamps off amazon.com

18. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    The Yonex flying clamps are pretty cheap, they work well though.

If you get a machine with fixed clamps, you don't *need* flying clamps, they're just an extra tool.

The biggest thing you can do is get the bare essentials and just start practicing. Stringing takes time to learn. If you went out and spent £1500 on the best electronic machine and tools you could buy, truthfully, it won't make a huge deal of difference until you're capable at using them.

This is why I strongly recommend you get something with an upgrade path. You start that practice ASAP, and you can move into bigger things.

19. AdamMorin

AdamMorin Regular Member

Well unfortunately the CDN dollar is low right now. I prices out machines at 3 USA locations that they were more expensive, even before shipping and taxes when it crosses the border.
    I will have to buy canadian