NEW: Fixed Height Experiment for Service

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by CantSmashThis, Jan 10, 2013.

1. ant01

ant01 Regular Member

The new rules seem a bit strange to me and I'm not sure these how calls can consistently be made. Although its amusing to see some Danish players semi-squatting to serve...but some players like Kamilla and Kolding didn't seem to change anything.

A couple of things that I saw today in All England R16 was that the height stick thing that the umpires use isn't fixed for courts 3 and 4. Courts 1 and 2 have 2 of those sticks, but 3 and 4 only have 1 so the service judge has to move it around manually which in my mind can lead to inconsistency.

Another thing that I saw was that some umpires are taller than others, so sit higher up. There was one service judge in particular who I noticed has to keep hunching quite a lot to watch the serves. If I remember right he was the one that was calling faults on the low backhand service on both Srikanth and Huang Yuxiang, so Srikanth just did a ladys style serve to the back in the end.

Still, the question in my mind is how can there be consistency in calling faults when there are factors like the above changing in each match?

Last thing that I remember is that Gideon got faulted once on the low serve and was pretty annoyed by it. Sukamuljo not faulted once from what I saw, and some players were doing drive serves. I have a few pictures of the above but can't upload for a few days.

2. OhSearsTower

OhSearsTower Regular Member

i tested the 1m15 on my wall

looks like I am serving clearly under the 1m15 mark

im 189cm
    115cm serve is absolutely fine. Player should stop crying and play a regular serve. period.

LenaicM and visor like this.
  3. Capnx

Capnx Regular Member

the best way is if you have a wall mirror or a tall mirror, just mark a line on the mirror with a line of tape at the 1.15m height and serve to the mirror. you can tell where your racket is making the contact whether if it's above or below the tape.

4. visor

visor Regular Member

It won't be accurate because you're looking down at the tape in the mirror.

5. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

Seriously can't they tape or paint something on the shuttle cork and have that detected by some sensor so they can accurately call the 1.15m or whatever height it is. It's outrageous because it all depends on how the service judge sees it and how he is sitting.

Last night one had a fixed upright stature while checking serves (CM vs AY) while another was leaning slightly to the opposite side (LCW vs LD) resulting in inconsistent fault calls.

6. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Best example of how to service judge with this new system goes to the morning session QF XD match. He's the only umpire I recall clearly lowering himself to the height of the lines to do Ti right.

Sent from my LG-H930 using Tapatalk

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The service judge in the mens doubles semifinal is also doing it properly

8. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Sadly I'm not watching atm and can't comment

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    The other thing is there are very few complaints from the players who are receiving about foul serves.

10. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Fantastic to see that as well. I think one of the few exceptions was Debby Susanto but the slowed down replays pretty much supported the decision of the service judge.

11. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Since badminton can't match the prize money offered in tennis despite both are siblings type of sports ,( hmm.... I mean both are racket sports).... I recommend Bwf changed the serves rules whereby now player can start their serves similarly like what tennis does.......and can jump also..... :):):)......player happy bcoz rarely no fault most likely.....bwf happy coz player happy

12. Slade

Slade Regular Member

13. amleto

amleto Regular Member

I'm sure the players wont find that distracting when the laser goes in their eyes!!!!

14. visor

visor Regular Member

Of course not... because after a few times into their eyes, their retinas will be zapped so much that they won't be able to see at all.

15. Slade

Slade Regular Member

Only if their eyes are at the 1.15 meter height, and it would be shut off as soon as the bird is struck.

16. GingerCorslette

That would distract their serving rhythms. They'd had to look and check if the serve is somewhere near that laser and get faulted before actually beginning the serve.

17. Phonjomtien

Phonjomtien New Member

I agree totally. Or why bwf can't introduce a service rule that is easily measurable by all. They've had long enough to consider. In the recent all England even the 152 cm Japanese players were confused about fault service calls. The umpire always stated too high whereas the players were asking about racquet direction. Was the ancillary rule racquet in a downward direction not implemented?

Sent from my U FEEL using Tapatalk

18. phihag

phihag Regular Member

It was; under the new rules there is no racket direction fault; as long the shuttle is below 1.15m, your feet are on the ground within the lines, there's no double movement or slow-down during the serve, and you hit the base first, the serve is good.

If the players were asking about that, it indicates a serious misunderstanding on their part. I'm not sure how BWF would be to blame for the players not knowing the rules. If you want to blame anyone but the players, then surely it is the duty of the the coaches to inform themselves about rules changes.

I mean, it's not like there was a huge rule change. Just two lines were inserted into the rulebook. Also, these are not amateur weekend coaches in a small youth league. I'd expect a national coach to inform themselves about all new rules. In fact, such a coaching level should require at least a basic umpiring course - it certainly does in Germany.

If the Japanese coaches did not care about the new rules, it's their fault. Other federations were very proactive in preparing. For instance, the Danish national team invited one of their umpires for their serve training.

19. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Wow, no directional fault? That's interesting.

The last bit gave me a giggle though, I seem to remember a confused Viktor Axelsen approaching the umpire's chair because he didn't realise it had changed to 2 challenges per game rather than 2 per match, and the coaches admitting they had made an oopsie :p

20. GingerCorslette

This new rule is under testing, right? Or is it final? If not, until when is its probationary status?

I think that was JOJ during a match with LD at the AE 2016, if I'm not mistaken.. funny moment though. :) Lars and Kenneth were like, 'my bad'