E-Plus Badminton ASIA Team Championships 2018 (9-11 February) : Quarterfinal-FINAL

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by CLELY, Feb 8, 2018.

1. Desireless

Desireless Regular Member

Zhang Ning is HBJ’s direct coach...XXZ is just supervising in dismay...

Alas, potential doesn’t win matches. How long will CHN keep fielding HBJ, hoping for her “potential” to turn into results...

CHN used to have 2-3 dominant WD pairs at any given moment...and now they barely have 1, whereas Japan are now miles deep in WD.

2. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

They could reunite HYQ and YXH in the Uber Cup. Probably the only way they have a chance against Japan in WD2 assuming it reaches WD2.

3. Cunning Linguist

Cunning Linguist Regular Member

So he's the one responsible. Maybe he should take a page out of PJB's book.

So how did they get to the final? Were they seeded or did they, maybe, win a couple of matches?
    The singles were both three game matches. Let one of HBJ, CYF win that game at the Uber Cup, have CQC/JYF beat Takamatsu and it's GFJ vs Sayaka Sato for the win. I know whom I'd be putting my money on in that case.

Other nations have clearly stepped up both coaching and financial investment into the sport. That does not make China worse, it has just gotten harder to win. And I don't agree they "barely" have one top double, they have the #1 wc pair, which is also considerably younger than Japan's pairs.
    Japan has a couple of top pairs now, but they are all in their mid twenties and at the time of the olympics, players like Takahashi, Yonemoto and Matsutomo will be at or close to the end of their careers. I currently see no young pairs (maybe one) to take up the helm, whereas China and Korea have talented youngster coming up. These things always go in cycles. Indonesia have a fantastic crop of young mens singles players these days. They didn't have that a couple of years ago. China, despite going through what some might perceive as a drought, are always there and will continue to be the top nation. You just can't expect total domination anymore.

#383 Cunning Linguist, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2018
    samkool likes this.
  4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    when Lin Dan entered China's national team in around the year 2000, the average income in China was around 6300 yuan a year. It's now around 40,000 yuan a year.

Badminton is no longer as good a career option as it once was in China.

income.jpg

#384 pcll99, Feb 11, 2018
    samkool and stanleyfm like this.
  5. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Yes, but income gaps between the classes have widened tremendously too. I dont think even average working families in 2ndary cities even earns Y40k annually.
    Smwhere in CBA smthg went wrong, the talents still can be recruited from smaller cities/towns.

6. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

They were also one of the favorites to win the Surdiman Cup. Taka/Matsu had the semi-finals in their hands. But then Taka/Matsu flopped.

A healthy Japanese team on paper, is the strongest Uber Cup team at this point. Don't underestimate them flopping again though.

sen and Michael V like this.
  7. galaxyduo

galaxyduo Regular Member

I think other countries have caught up to China in WS and WD. The possibility of catching up to China in WS was always there since women can train with men to get better. My understanding is, Carolina Marin trains and spars with men. Because the level of women's badminton around Spain is pretty poor, there is no way Carolina Marin can get as good as she is now if she wasn't sparring with other men.

MS is a little different. Pablo Abian doesn't have other top level MS players to train with on the Spain national team. I feel pretty bad for him. On the other hand, this is why Anders Antonsen is in a great spot. Anders gets to train with Viktor. And when Jan O' Jorgensen gets back, Anders will get to train with Jan O' Jorgensen. Anders has everything he needs to get better.

samkool and visor like this.
  8. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Baidu Baike has a good explanation why children sports schools in China are in decline. In short, they have no money.

https://baike.baidu.com/item/少体校

163's piece is also worth reading, for those who can read Chinese. In short, they don't have the people.

http://news.163.com/special/reviews/sportsschool.html

#388 pcll99, Feb 11, 2018
  9. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Not only that. Sparring partners is one reason. but if the dedication and hardwork is not there, there wont be any improvement. Anders wanted it, that's why he is where he should be. But when I want to take one more example, Siril verma defeated Anders antonsen in world junior championships and reached finals when he was only 15. But today, he is no more. He is also trains with Srikanth, Sai praneeth and H.S.Prannoy and many top class athletes. Involvement and dedication is needed to do it big. This is my opinion.

10. It'sMeMeMe

It'sMeMeMe Regular Member

lol JOjo spending a lot of energy in game 1 .... i doubt he can win SYQ

11. Michael V

Michael V Regular Member

Of course there's always a possibility to flop and in the case of the Sudirman Cup for Japan, it did hurt a lot. But let's not overstate their chances last year though. The clear favorite to win the SC was China as they had top 10 players across all disciplines. Japan wasn't really a favorite but more of a contender since they lacked depth in MS and XD then. It may seem as if they were favorites in hindsight but they only became so at that moment in the tie when Watanabe and Higashino upset ZSW/CQC. With the Uber Cup this year however, they are clear favorites along with China and a Japan-China final is what we all expect come May.

12. It'sMeMeMe

how can SWH lost against JOjo ... lol this guy is playing almost without brain

lol as i said jojo was lucky to win swh no other explanation

skhai91 likes this.
  13. fakewars

fakewars Regular Member

This vuvuzela guy is driving me insane. Someone kick him please.

14. It'sMeMeMe

nice string of errors from JOjo ... keep it up pls

15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

What happened to Yuqi is he injured??

16. It'sMeMeMe

lol wtf happened there? 18-13 up becoming 18 -21 lose the game lol ...HAUHAHHAAUH

17. It'sMeMeMe

8 str8 points .... another lucky ....

18. RoarRa

RoarRa Regular Member

heehe i wouldnt be so sure abt that.

Jojo from points 13-18 to 21-18.. another sweet victory. :D

19. ebcd

ebcd Regular Member

Did Shi hurt his arm?

#Tapatalk

20. winzerer