Super Bowl LII

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by speCulatius, Jan 27, 2018.

1. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

American Football certainly does not entertain everyone with a lot of interruptions and commercials and on top of that, it's very different from badminton. But one game that many people watch and don't mind (but even enjoy) the commercials is... The Super Bowl. This year, it's Philadelphia Eagles vs. New England Patriots in Minneapolis, Minnesota. The Eagles have never won a Super Bowl, so...
    .... will this be the headline after the game next week?

Anybody watching it?

What do you expect?

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

I was expecting to see the Saints play but since it has turned out otherwise, :rolleyes:, all the signs are pointing to a Patriots victory. Well 'all' ... the Eagles should've been dumped out of the playoffs already but have beaten the odds twice so why not a third time :D.
    Still, indoor and artificial turf seems to favour the Patriots play ...

3. speCulatius

I disagree. Against the Falcons, it was a pretty even match-up in my opinion and against Minnesota, I hoped for the Vikings, but I never believed it. I expected a close game though.

As much as I'd rather like to see a team winning the Super Bowl for the first time than the current champion defending the title, I think Phily's backfield is not strong (experienced?) enough to stop Brady... So their only chance to stop him is to put a lot of pressure on him. That won't help against the short passes Brady likes so much, especially since Gronk is back, too.
    And yes, the rest also points at the Patriots. The first time that the (under)dog masks make sense to me.

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Yeah that shutout in week 17 against Dallas in hindsight was a bit misleading (now reading they rested several players) and really made it seem they were becoming more incapable by the week. I thought they would have to play the Saints instead of the Falcons as well but even that didn't come to be. I really haven't paid much attention to this regular season, to me it was simply a case of Foles v Ryan (or Brees), not even knowing the Falcons had a different OC this season compared to last.
    In a way it's ridiculous the brackets are not fixed; why even create brackets when it could be completely different a week later? It's understandable the #1 seed should get some advantage over the #2 seed but you're already getting that with home advantage and over the rest of the teams a week's extra rest ...

Back to the SB: Gronk may be back but the might be out again pretty quickly if someone wanted to. But even then they will probably find some way like last year (or 49 :rolleyes:).

5. speCulatius

What a game! Glad to be surprised by the result :D