Two issues while stringing, what are your thoughts guys?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by KITMAN, Jan 10, 2018.

1. KITMAN

KITMAN Regular Member

Hi Guys.

I would like to get your thoughts on a few problems I seem to be experiencing while stringing.

1. Is it common for the first 2 to 4 vertical strings to loss tension as you work your way out to each side.
    I have found that after tensioning the first 2 verticals, they are nice and tight. However by the time I reach the last few verticals, the first 2/4 have dropped in tension already. What are the possible causes for this?

2. I have noticed that there will be 1 or 2 cm of rough texture or damage to the coating of my strings as I work through the stringing process. This begins right from the verticals, I assumed it was my clamps but I am pretty sure the string does not pull trough the clamps. I can not figure out why my string is getting scuffed up and I am hoping someone here with longer/better stringing experience could help.

I am using the Pro's Pro crack tension machine with the standard clamps.

Cheers

Kit

2. Gavin97

Gavin97 Regular Member

For no.2, I used to have a pp crank tension machine and due to the gripper jaws, it tends to scuff up the string. I tried sanding it but just ended up purchasing a wise instead.

I saw somewhere they used a piece of card? Maybe that’ll work?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Sounds to me as if both issues might have the same root cause: The clamps are slipping.

At which locations on the strings does the rough texture occur? In case it's not around the clamping area, it could also be the gripper that it nicking the string a bit.

4. KITMAN

KITMAN Regular Member

Thanks for your replies guys.
    I tried to look closely at the clamps as I pulled tension and I couldn't see string slip.
    It could be that the string slipped at another moment and I just didn't see it.
    I will use the card suggestion, thanks!

I also thought that it may be the gripper, so I inspected the string after releasing the gripper and saw no damage.
    This is why I am puzzled.

I may just replace the clamps as the Pro's pro ones don't seem very good anyway.

5. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

The string would slip when you are releasing the tension. Just put your finger on the string right behing the clamps as you release the tension. You can easily feel any kind of slippage that way.

6. KITMAN

KITMAN Regular Member

Thanks! I will test it out tonight and see if that's the issue.

7. baronspill

baronspill Regular Member

Or just mark the string with a felt tip pen by the clamp before you release the tension.

When you release the tension if the mark moves in relation to the clamp then the string is slipping through the clamp.

8. KITMAN

KITMAN Regular Member

Good idea, which I will use tonight.

Cheers!

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    1. No, it's not common for the first two centre mains to lose tension. Not sure how you came to realise they are losing tension, but do note that they are the longest strings on the string bed so will deflect the most compared to others. Also check that when you start tensioning, tension your second main, after releasing the (starting) clamp, re-tension it again as there could be a bit of slack/movement in your clamp.

2. It's hard to say how the nicks came about without seeing your set up but if you are using standard clamps, I would guess that these would most likely be the reason, particularly if they are only 3-4 finger clamps. If you are 100% sure that there is no slipping of the string through the fingers during/after tensioning or on releasing, try releasing the base first while holding the clamp in your hand to stop it dangling before releasing the fingers carefully. Does this still cause the nicks? Also note that depending on what string/tension you use, you may need to adjust the clamp separation to suit the diameter and tension of the string.

I've personally not seen any damage caused by the gripper on any tensioner before even when the string slips. It is mostly caused by the clamps, your tools or the racquet (damaged grommets).

10. speCulatius

speCulatius Regular Member

I've read about it here (only when using pro's pro machines) and I've seen it myself (pro's pro shuttle express).

11. KITMAN

KITMAN Regular Member

I am waiting for some upgraded clamps to come and I will try those instead.

12. KITMAN

KITMAN Regular Member

So I got the new clamps and have put some paper on the gripper jaws and so far both issues have gone.
    I have seen S_mair mention about the AEF clamps and how they are many times better than the Pro's Pro clamps.
    Every bit of that is true, I couldn't believe the difference in how they grip the string with far less pinch than the PP clams.
    Tension on the mains is now solid and consistent throughout.

Thanks for everyone's help/input

s_mair likes this.