BWF CALENDAR 2018

Discussion in '2018 Tournaments' started by cxytdn, Jul 21, 2017.

1. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    your point is well taken. it's another aspect to the system. but, if you run the #'s & $'s it's still a tough road from a team's $ point of view.

let's say a team sends 10 to 20 athletes to a ss/p tournament and they all flame out early, before 1/4's. obviously a financial loss. even if 1 wins, is it enough to cover the whole team/staff expenses? (air, lodging, food, etc.) not by much. lcw certainly isn't making enough to pay for the rest of the team's current state of sucking, haha!

now picture the big teams entering gp & gp gold level, which you have to do in order to work your way up to ss/p level. you end up entering a lot of gp/gold level. they are a money loser over 99% of the time. this is why athletes will sometimes have no coaches present, to save $. 10-15 athletes traveling in pursuit of way lower prize money. singles winner makes $9,000. scary, eh? someone better win to offset the team's cost of making the trip!

by the time an athlete has reached ss/p level they haven't won enough money to cover the costs of getting them to the ss/p level. so, yes, you want to get there asap but 99% of them will never recoup the association's total investment in their career.

http://system.bwf.website/documents... - ANNEXURE A DISTRIBUTION OF PRIZE MONEY.pdf
    [it's the same distribution for gp/gold]

if you look at the $ breakdown tables you wonder how teams make $. well, they don't. they are supported by local companies & gov't. i guess you could say the athletes are employees of non-profit organizations.

what about the team's/players that don't get gov't/corporate help? exactly. you can only name a few. and they are barely making a living.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

I think its the year that is more important to stay injury free more than anything.

Can see in 2017 there are many injures especially in XD. By the end of the year, many WS also on the brink of injuries it feels. and we dont want Srikanth or Axelsen that are missing tournaments because they are still young. They are not as old as LD LCW CL.

I always think if they name it WorldTour, arent they basically making it like tennis?

Wouldnt it be more prudent to make it 8 important tournaments and 7 tournaments SS-equivalent (becomes redundant) in future by branding?
    So, they should add more to the SSP equivalent to make it like its ATP1000 event ( which has 9 tournaments instead of 5 here) since 3 PoP is like GrandSlam.

Many questions be answered.

#142 Yoji, Dec 7, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2017
  3. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

A quote from Guangzhou Sports Council:

"五是培育品牌扩大影响。继续办好广州马拉松赛、广州国际女子网球公开赛、广州国际龙舟邀请赛等以广州命名的国际体育赛事。积极筹办2017—2022年国际攀联中国攀岩公开赛、2019年男篮世界杯赛,积极申办2018—2021年世界羽联世界巡回赛年终总决赛。加大对职业体育俱乐部建设运营的支持力度,做好主场比赛的组织协调和服务工作。大力支持发展户外运动、健身跑(走)、自行车、水上运动、攀岩、极限运动等群众喜闻乐见的项目。"

Looks like they're bidding for SSF 2018-2021...

Source: http://www.gzsports.gov.cn/info/1529/8332.htm

pcll99 and Justin L like this.
  4. Master

Master Regular Member

@cxytdn
    I see the Spanish Open changing the schedule from week 9 to week 35.

I've just found the logo used for the next upcoming 2018 Thomas & Uber Cups :

[​IMG]

samkool likes this.
  5. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

I love the logo!!

6. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

On first look to me was like a octopus with a bs12.......Upon deeper thought (a good 12mins while staring at this TV with CNN muted, Anderson Cooper 360 really has a thing for Trump)....... IT'S a very nice Elephone (with kumpoo racket) .......Great job BWF Bangkok......

7. Master

Master Regular Member

Yeah, it's correct.

Elephant with its trunk hold a racket.

@BeeKi Do you have any news regarding that logo?

8. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

That TUC logo has been there since early December as far as I remember

Basel 2019 also has released theirs, now only Nanjing and Nanning.. Usually they will have the meaning behind the logos, and if I'm not mistaken China also held a design competition for Dongguan 2015.

stanleyfm likes this.
  9. huangkwokhau

huangkwokhau Regular Member

sales & design
    Guangzhou is morelikely will get SSF Final....

New name will be revealed after January 8... new name for BWF tour

stanleyfm and Griff88 like this.
  10. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

So no other bidders? Pretty sad ._.

stanleyfm likes this.
  11. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    Supposed to be Shenzen but commitment to have SS Final is so expensive..... minimum the organizer needs to spend at least $4 million, remember lodging and flights are covered

pcll99, stanleyfm and Griff88 like this.
  12. huangkwokhau

sales & design
    BWF should change the deal.. right now for Sudirman cup, WC, Thomas Uber..80 % for BWF and 20% for the host.... no one bids for TU 2020 yet..

pcll99, Griff88 and stanleyfm like this.
  13. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

Would you have information (or source links) like costs breakdown? I've always wondered why bwf prize monies are so low relative to tennis, since the 4mil per event sponsor fee is quite hefty.......... Thanks

14. Griff88

Griff88 Regular Member

Awww.. I Iiked those iconic Shenzhen gymnasiums...

stanleyfm likes this.
  15. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Guangzhou is good.

It brings luck, its okay wherever it is afterall China is best in badminton let them host it.

but isnt national association paid for flights and accoma?

16. Akim1

Akim1 Regular Member

Coach
    Danish players does NOT get any salary from the Danish Federation. They get free practice and a small amount of travel subsidy. Typically around 5.000 €

17. SolsticeOfLight

SolsticeOfLight Regular Member

How do the coaches work? Do they get paid by the players?

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    I'll have to rewatch axelsen's videos. I thought he refered to something about a small amount of pay.
    court time, coaching, physio, supplies: How much of each? the value can add up substantially.
    receiving any kind of subsidy (money and/or services) on a continuing basis is the equivalent of receiving a salary. just ask all the players around the world whom don't receive jack sh*t from their federation, :D

19. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    over 4 years, not $4m each year.
    it's more of a who pays for what because the cost of expenses are not equal around the world. ie: suitable venues are a lot cheaper in asia than north america.

title sponsor pays for certain things, host organizer pays for certain things, bwf pays for certain things.

if i can find the time i'll break it down...

20. Master

Master Regular Member

The names of each Levels of World Tour have just been revealed on BWF World Tour Official website.

• BWF World Tour Level 1 : BWF World Tour Finals
    • BWF World Tour Level 2 : BWF World Tour Super 1000
    • BWF World Tour Level 3 : BWF World Tour Super 750
    • BWF World Tour Level 4 : BWF World Tour Super 500
    • BWF World Tour Level 5 : BWF World Tour Super 300

Grade 2 - Level 6 : BWF Tour Super 100 is not part of BWF World Tour

BWF World Tour 2018

The {SponsorName} BWF World Tour is a circuit of 26 tournaments attracting the top world ranked players in singles (men’s and women’s) and doubles (men’s, women’s and mixed).

The 26 tournaments are divided into five levelsSuper 1000 (three tournaments), Super 750 (five tournaments), Super 500 (seven tournaments) and Super 300 (eleven tournaments). Each of these tournaments offers different ranking points and prize money. The highest points and prize pool is offered at the Super 1000 level. One other category of tournament, the BWF Tour Super 100 level, also offers BWF World Tour ranking points. Although this level is not part of the {SponsorName} BWF World Tour, it is an important part of the pathway and entry point for players into the {SponsorName} BWF World Tour tournaments.

The {SponsorName} BWF World Tour Finals held in December is the ultimate goal for players on the World Tour and only the top eight players in each of the five disciplines of the {SponsorName} BWF World Tour Rankings qualify to compete in the season finale.

Source : http://bwfworldtour.com/about/

2018 World Tour Calendar : http://bwfworldtour.com/calendar/