Xiao to quit national team

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by kwun, Mar 22, 2004.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Xiao to quit national team

Confidence hit due to injury and poor form, but she says she will return here

By Peh Shing Huei
    Straits Times

THREE months after winning a South-east Asia Games gold medal, Xiao Luxi will quit the Singapore national badminton team.

The shuttler's contract with the Singapore Badminton Association will expire at the end of the month, and she has decided not to stay on.

But the break may not be permanent.

Said the 21-year-old: 'I really need to do something other than badminton now. I've been carrying an injury, my form has not been good and my confidence has suffered badly.

'I want some time off to think about my future, my path.'

She will spend some time with her parents in Fujian Province, China, but the lanky, 1.78-metre tall lass stressed that she is coming back here.

'I'm a Singaporean, and proud to be one. So I will definitely be back,' she said, 'but I really don't know if I will rejoin the national team. I may consider coaching, studying or just do other things.'

Sources told Timesport she has been having problems with the national coaches, but she declined to comment.

In 1997, she came from China as a 14-year-old and, together with Li Li, Liu Fan and Rong Muxi, were Singapore badminton's pioneer batch of foreign talent.

Rong went back to China four years ago, while the remaining trio all became Singapore citizens.

Li Li, 20, received her papers in 2002, while Xiao and Liu Fan, 19, took up Singapore passports last year.

Xiao was the first of the trio to make a mark internationally, partnering Liu Zhen to victory at the 2001 Hong Kong Open.

That was Singapore's first win on the Grand Prix circuit, and the duo once climbed as high as 11th in the world.

But, with Li Li obtaining citizenship the next year and surprising all and sundry by winning the Manchester Commonwealth Games title, the petite girl became Singapore's badminton darling.

Said SBA executive director Jacqueline Lim: 'Xiao was looking forward to the Commonwealth Games and, when she didn't get the citizenship, she was bitterly disappointed.

'And, when she finally could represent Singapore in a major meet during last December's SEA Games, she suffered an elbow injury and poor form.

'She's still recovering from the confidence blow.'

Though Xiao was part of the winning team in Ho Chi Minh City, she lost both her matches in the final against Thailand. She was then pulled out of the singles event, giving way to Jiang Yanmei.

Said Xiao: 'It was nice to have won the SEA Games gold. But that's a team effort, not individual.'

Her best result in singles was third at the 2002 Asian Badminton Championships, when she scalped China's then-world No 20 Hu Ting.

Said Lim: 'We will welcome her back anytime. She's still the only Singapore women shuttler who has beaten a Chinese.'

2. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes, it's indeed sad that at just 21 years young, she has decided to hang up her racket.

I was at the SBA Hall during the semi-finals of the Nationals Championships and asked her in English why she was not overseas to try to win more Olympic points with the rest of her teammates. I offered an answer that she might be injured and she replied in English that it was indeed the case. She partnered Ronald Susilo to with the XD event easily.

Quite rightly, her form has not improved since the SEA Games last year when she lost both her singles matches. Even during the XD Final, she was not able to display that fiery form of hers which brought some measure of success to her much earlier international exploits. She remained a pale shadow of her real self.

As revealed in the papers, her problem could well be her conflicts with her coaches. And with a new top Chinese coach now taking charge, Luxi may even find it more difficult to adapt.

As she is now a Singapore Citizen, I hope her short break back to China will rejuvenate her and cure the elbow injury the has been troubling her for sometime now. Hopefully she can change her mind and rejoin the National Team and battle for more honours on her return back to Singapore. She still has many more good years!;)

3. three

three Regular Member

student.
    yeah.. she's 21 and she has a good build. how wasted.. wasnt she and ronald susilo together for awhile?