Returning the shuttle

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Kikuhito Senshi, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Kikuhito Senshi

Kikuhito Senshi Regular Member

project manager
    If I was asked who my favourite ever player was it would always be the same answer; Zhao Jianhua. I recently watched an interview he did where he talked about returning the shuttle to your opponent after you lose the point and was highly critical of the modern players just pushing the shuttle under the net and making the opponent have to collect it. He advocated passing the shuttle over the net as having good manners and good etiquette.

Come on, badminton, let's maintain the good sportsmanship!!

2. ubootsg

ubootsg Regular Member

semi-retired
    Looks like sportsmanship and courtesy on court is a dying trait....hard to find these days.

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    If he thinks that's bad, his blood will boil if he ever watches Kevin Sukamuljo's matches!

4. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

I find badminton still has mostly good sportsmanship. The players usually seem to be enjoying themselves when you have these epic rallies and sometimes thank each other. Some sports are absolutely terrible for this.

stanleyfm, Abu Tanki and phihag like this.
  5. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    I agree there's a lot of respect between the top pros and at least in the UK sportmanship is mostly good at an amateur level as well. You get the odd player every now and then who doesn't respect opponents but you'd expect that.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

6. Kikuhito Senshi

project manager
    Had a look at some of KS's matches and don't notice him being any worse than others at returning the shuttle. I am sure he makes people's blood boil for other reasons, though :)

7. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Yeah, I've had some opponents not returning the shuttle more than 10cm past the net, too. Really gets my blood boiling. Also don't like people who insist on collecting the shuttle from under the net themselves and don't let me give it to them! Bastards:mad::p

8. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

What do u mean? How do they 'insist' when we r the one closer to the shuttle? Just curious :confused:
    Good court manners and etiquettes are dying, sad but true:(

9. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Proper etiquette is that the person who played the shuttle in the net goes and gives it to the opponent. I guess they are closer or same distance as I am. They steal it before I get to it :D

10. Kikuhito Senshi

project manager
    I think proper etiquette is, as Zhao explains, to return the shuttle to your opponent over the net (and not nudge it back under the net making opponent have to retrieve it). If, however, the opponent wants to retrieve it themselves, they are welcome to it :)

11. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

Of course they are, my comments here are "tongue in cheek".

I have this one old lady at my club who is great at this:
    We both approach the net simultaneously, and just before my racket gets to the shuttle, she blocks my racket with her racket, slides it towards herself and picks up the shuttle with her hand :D

Kikuhito Senshi likes this.
  12. ChanKC

ChanKC Regular Member

This is a little pet peeve of mine when I'm playing against a pair in the league - we follow the consensus in our club that you return it if you hit it against the net. However when playing against some opponents in the league they just walk away expecting you to reach under the net and grab it. I've tried stopping grabbing the shuttle to see if they take the hint but generally my partner will just run and get it themselves.

thyrif and Kikuhito Senshi like this.
  13. thyrif

thyrif Regular Member

We have some youngsters who don't understand this yet. Was very fun to teach them and watch them remind eachother that they should return it, good manners :D

Kikuhito Senshi and Fidget like this.
  14. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    If it hits the net, I usually scoop it up towards them (a bit more than a nudge towards their service line), if it's deeper I usually return it with a forehand.

I think the ones with the worst manners, are the ones who scoop it up with their racket into the air and hit it towards you, fail at getting it over the net, and then just leave it for you to retrieve. Not only did they have every opportunity to pass it back sensibly, they chose to try and show off, screwed it up, and didn't have the manners to fix it.