Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大 ) / Yoo Yeon Seong ( 유연성 / 杻延星)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by event, Sep 12, 2013.

1. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Why bother to use YYS's points of now? And why june 2018? Is there another limitation that has to be fulfilled 2 years before Tokyo Olympic?
    I am well aware of the quota, I actually expect this pair to be Korea no 1 pair and the only 1 to go to Tokyo if they really do this anyway, with about 40000 points minimum.

Sponsors can be put aside though. I believe money won't be a problem for these 2 players anyway.

2. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Wouldn't say that's completely true. After all, KKK and TBH managed to do it =D and they hadn't played for 2 whole years together as a pairing. IIRC they were pretty much on qualification rounds for half a year after reforming as an independent pair.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

3. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    :eek: i meant 2020. from sept 2019 (when lyd can play independent) to june 2020 is not enough time.
    are you asking yys to accumulate all the points w/ kim jae wan until 9/2019 then dump him to play w/ lyd and qualify for tokyo 2020? i don't think lyd will rejoin kba. that means he has to live back at the training center.
    you'd be surprised how little they make. no way can he support his family on his career earnings and also afford to fund his career/travel/training/coaching costs.

teams own players, which sucks. but there's not enough $ in badminton for players to be independent and survive in the real world.

4. stanleyfm

stanleyfm Regular Member

Yes, that is what I am saying. But it not necessarily until 9/2019. Yoo Yeon Seong can easily focus to play only until before WC (about July), and can be with any other player (e.g. Hendra Setiawan). With multinationality pair, it must be easy to understand for the other if he says he wants to play in Olympic, thus change partner a year before that.

Well I kinda don't believe that LYD will not have sponsors if he really comes back though. But yeah, I think I forgot the family part haha

5. event

event Regular Member

It is enough time. Tang and Yu got to world #3 in the same period. True, Lee Yong Dae wouldn't be able to start with Superseries as early but they could still get into GPG in late 2019. I agree that they do run the risk of playing and travelling busily for 7 months for nothing. A lot depends on how high in the rankings other Korean pairs are by then but you are likely right if you believe they'd need to get into the top 8. If Korea has another pair that high, then only a top 8 placing would allow them to go. If Korea's top pair is ranked lower than that, then Korea would only be allowed to send one pair and the BKA would likely not choose an independent pair. The only likely scenario, then, is if the independent pair is the BKA's only chance at having two Korean pairs go to Tokyo.
    I'm sure you are right and in any case, if he did move back, he wouldn't have to wait for his 31st birthday because the BKA might let him rejoin the national team now if he wanted. He's being forced to wait until he turns 31 because he has left the national team. None of that matters for Yoo Yeon Seong. He could keep playing with other international players, as stanley said.
    If Lee Hyun Il can do it, so can Lee and Yoo. They are still being supported by Yonex directly and in Yoo's case by Suwon City Hall. These two are in greater demand than Lee Hyun Il for international pro leagues, too, and they made more money when they were playing on the national team as they won so many SS titles. I doubt they are rolling in cash but I'd say they would be able to make it work as well as any independent player. Lee Yong Dae is not pounding the pavement right now looking for a job. He is a Yonex employee. His job is playing badminton for them and making appearances. Yonex has much more to gain from this relationship if Lee Yong Dae is playing when he wants to rather than only when the BKA has domestic events scheduled or when there happens to be a league on in China or India.

Still, all of this is likely academic. Neither player has definitively said he wants to aim for that 2020 Olympic goal and while all of this is technically possible, samkool is right that is still improbable.

Cheung, stanleyfm and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  6. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    But the fact that a large number of the national team quitting at the same time surely isn't a mere coincidence nor a decision made lightly. So I'm guessing they will be quite reluctant to go back. At most, they may enter SS events as independent players but I doubt any of them will get to go to Tokyo.

7. Wannabekorean

Wannabekorean New Member

Great news for Lee/Yoo fans

Abu Tanki, emre.belezoglu and R20190 like this.
  8. emre.belezoglu

emre.belezoglu Regular Member

They are the one to beat Minions' donination

9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I'm not so sure about that to be honest. The rise of the minions coincided with the retirement of LYD/YYS who weren't at the best when they retired. Given that they haven't played competitively together for a year and having not trained together in that time, I don't think they would cause the minions too much trouble.

Having said that, it would be great to see LYD and YYS come back and rejoin the international pro circuit but I doubt that will happen unless there is a change of heart from BKA. It would be amazing if LYD/YYS end up winning this tournament as it would make BKA think twice particularly as at present Korea don't have any MD players in the top 25, let alone players that can threaten the top players.

phucle and stanleyfm like this.
  10. hieu nguyen

hieu nguyen Regular Member

The only pairs that would have a good chance against the two minions would be Zhang Nan and Liu Cheng. Not because of Liu Cheng, but more because of Zhang Nan. He's a wizard at the net.

11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    good to see them back

12. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

The point at 17-12 in the third was absolutely bonkers.

13. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Their movements are silky smooth and very exciting to watch. Shame that we won't see LYD/YYS together in the World Tour.

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

YYS fighting Gideon for the highest serve in international badminton again, I see :D

jjashik, samkool, skeksis and 3 others like this.
  15. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

Definitely one of the most entertaining rallies I've ever seen. That cross netshot off the drive, this is why we love you LYD lol.

16. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

In case some haven't seen it here's a better angle. I'm pretty sure it was a korean fan who filmed it and posted it in 3 videos, but this guy patched and edited them to be one video for the whole match:

R4yZ0r likes this.
  17. R4yZ0r

R4yZ0r Regular Member

Student
    Very nice!

18. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

Clearly, LYD's game is not at 100% but it's so nice to see him back. They will have to get into better form, if they are to take on the current top pairs though. But this GPG tourney is a great way to get back into it. After that great rally at 17-12 in the third set, you'll notice LYD celebrating and then crouching from exhaustion - something you would never see back in the days of national team training.

19. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    Unfortunately I think this tournament is jist a one off. I don't think they're planning to make a full comeback.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

20. jjashik

jjashik Regular Member

And here's round 2 footage from a better angle, though not as good as the previous round: