Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Actually is was luck, from 19-all, one point was due to net shot, one was due to his own mistake.
    Lin Dan was lucky to win OG2012's final point due to LCW's mistake, but he worked his ass off in that match.
    Same with Ng Ka Long.

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

I share the same sentiment with you. Perhaps, he should have admitted that Ng Ka Long was a deserved winner and played better on crucial points like all classy Champions do when they lose.

Attributing his defeat to mere luck takes away all the credit from Hong Kong's Best Shuttler Ng Ka Angus Long.

3. charleslim

charleslim Regular Member

Dream Job
    Anyway, let's keep our fingers crossed that LCW can carry on fighting and do better the next time. It is not an easy feat given his age.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Angus was playing very good yesterday based on his standards. Anything less, he would not win the match.

5. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    I wonder if he has lost the motivation or are we seeing a similar decline like Taufik's towards the end of his career

6. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I hope not. Hopefully he can win one in HKG SS right now just to rub it on anyone who wishes him to retire.

swsh, ghooga, pajrul and 2 others like this.
  7. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Let's be honest here, Ng Ka Long is nowhere near LCW's class. LCW has no business losing to him. LCW is so much better than every player other than LD and CL beating him is luck. He has to have his worst day, and they have to have their best day. In his normal to best form, he can simply roll out of bed, and burn through any top 10 player. Remember what he did to Son Wan Ho in 2016 Thomas Cup. Didn't even use his speed, and yet comfortably smoked him. LCW cramped in the last part of the third set, that was definitely why he lost, because he had Ng Ka Long down, and was proceeding for the kill.

It is distressing to see him at rock bottom like this, but I think the best thing for him is a good rest over the new year break and greet 2018 revitalized. I see a Federer-esque resurgence in 2018, LCW himself has admitted to viewing Federer as an inspiration. Don't count out LD to have a similar resurgence as well

8. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'd say Axelsen and Srikanth have a fair chance of beating him even in good shape these days though. SWH too although he is a bit of a mismatch in terms of play style.
    Momota would also be a candidate if he can keep up his current progress.

9. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Yeah, only when he is almost 40. Prime LCW would eat them for lunch, but that is a relic from the past.
    They have chance when even Ng Ka Long and HS Prannoy can beat him.

10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Again, as I've said elsewhere, it's guesswork to say "player X would've beaten player Z in their respective prime". Nobody said anything about prime or who the better player is....just that LCW, even when he's in good shape, can lose to quite a few players these days. Same for LD. Their dominance days are behind them.

11. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

True that but it still exist as history. So no harm done here.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  12. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

This Hong Kong Open could be LCW's return to his best. He seemed clinical in his match against Wei Nan (Lost the first, but convincingly won the next two). SWH is another tough opponent. If he beats him, we know he still has it in him to be a contender for majors like the Worlds, All England and Asian Games

ghooga likes this.
  13. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

He looks really sharp in his matches in Hong Kong. I believe if he beats Son Wan Ho, he will have enough points to go to Dubai. The way he is playing he can beat anyone. He is as physically and technically capable as ever (Still prime levels physically and technically, a testament to his hard work), but he was mentally destroyed by that world championship loss. It seems he is getting that mental edge back

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I actually thought he looked confused in the first two games. Still trying to play that lower paced game but being entirely harmless whilst doing so. Then Wei Nan started tiring and making more errors, barely hitting the court in the third game.
    Looked okay to me, but not conclusive either way.

15. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Well, this SWH victory was certainly conclusive. Even being 11-3 down in the second, still won it to 12!!! I don't know how far off his best SWH was from his best, but a drubbing like that of a top player is a good sign

#13735 Anand S, Nov 24, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  16. garra

garra Regular Member

Swh got himself injured...

17. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

We don't know about that. GC is only discussing the possibility of injury.
    Anyway, LCW outclassed SWH today.

18. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

LCW certainly outclassed Shi Yuqi, but now we have a rematch of the Olympic Final, LCW vs CL, looking so forward to that. Interesting to see how LCW's mind will adapt, because CL is the one who most likely completely destroyed LCW's dream of becoming Olympic Champion

19. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Don't forget Lin Dan too.
    Honestly, it is 40-60 chance against Chen Long. However, it will still be a good match, I believe.

20. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Well CL destroyed the last bit of hope left. LD did the previous 75% in the finals before :D

Anand S likes this.