Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

Same can be said for, oh Ah Dan...

Time for the next generation to take over the baton.

2. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Time for them to retire or I will always remember them like Taufik... :confused:

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Unfortunately they won't, because... $$$$...

4. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Well, they've done enough for the sport that they can do what they like now in my opinion.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Last impression is vital!

6. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

I don't know if part of the reason why LD and LCW are still playing is money, but history has shown athletes who stay on too long because of money turn into embarrassing shells of themselves

7. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    True, but as long as it doesn't too much embarrassing, I thinks it's fine to keep playing for other reasons

8. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Is Ah Dan meeting Ah Wei over the weekend to discuss their careers and maybe make a public announcement when they are retiring unless they are tied to contractual obligations.

For Ah Dan, the body is willing but the mind not.

For Ah Wei, the mind is willing but the body not.

visor likes this.
  9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

This is just the beginning or do you think it's gonna get better? I can't believe people on here seriously considering their chances at the upcoming WCs and Olympics.

TheNotorious and nokh88 like this.
  10. racketman123

Dentist in training...
    I wouldn't rule out attendance, but their chances of winning are very slim.

Rob3rt likes this.
  11. KB@TB Em

KB@TB Em Regular Member

student
    People are way to harsh with these two legends!!!
    Lin Dan is known for not being consistent as long as it s no major. Yes, it is concerning that he couldn't motivate himself for his home tournament, but oth he is smart enough to plan his career and he looks to peak next year at two or three events (AG, WC, maybe AE), maybe even really aiming towards Tokio. Other tournaments are just there for him to take enough points to qualify and bc of obligations I believe...
    And LD did very well to reach Wc F and CNG title this year in two consecutive weeks.

LCW is in a hole at least since the WC. In contrast to LD he was used to win almost everything expect og an wc, being the king of SS(P) for a very long time. So he has to learn to adapt and getting on knowing he can't dominate as he did before. This is a lot harder than a LD who started to focus to only peak for certain events long time ago.
    Not sure if and how fast he gets back, but for a professional having an off half or full season is part of it esp getting older! Ofc the gap bt before and now is very big bc lcw was the SS dominator as mentioned. And pressure is and always was on lcw.

And what we don't know is if they tried out new things, styles that didn't work or need more time or if there have been (minor) injuries, less or more or different training, personal problems, etc.
    We just see the results, (esp in Europe) it's hard to get more insight in what is behind the results...

I don't think they should retire. They are idols and at least for me it doesn't matter if they descent in their late stage of their career! I admire them as well as Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal or Lee Hyun Ill for still trying their best, motivate themselves, trying to adapt to aging and still belonging to the best of the world defying the odds giving the up-and-coming players a good run for their money. That's a great message to the (sporting) world.
    (btw I think a Victor Axelsen and the Badminton world rates his achievements higher than if ld, lcw wouldn't have been around and I hope for a few more encounters of VA, KM, KS etc against LCW, LD, CL, LHI esp on the big stage!)

Sure I understand the point of ending ones career at the top. It can be a fairytale story and is a question of personality (see Rosberg f.ex). I think it s also hard to find this point when it's going down and accept it as the end of one's career.
    But I like it more to see these guys trying to find new limits and even stretch them. I mean what Federer is doing is just awesome! He is on the way to win another major these days (ok, joker, stanimal and Murray are not around atm, but anyway).
    I hope these legends stay around as long as they enjoy their sport and think it's worth investing even not everything is working.
    Cheers.

12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yup, the signs are there.

And the new generations are getting better and faster. Speed is important in badminton and both Ah Dan and Ah Wei are losing it by the day.

As I have said, nothing much you can do when Father Time come calling.

13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Yeah, I just don't want to remember them like that. I'm sure Taufik Hidayat was an incredibly skilled player but as I started to watch Badminton only a few years ago I'll always remember him losing to a bunch of players that are barely Top 10. Not being able to watch good quality videos of him playing doesn't really help. So that's just how I'll remember him. I do understand the points KB@TB Em made and agree with most of them, but it takes away a lot of their magic and supremacy, in my opinion.

14. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    AG and WC are easier for these two players to achieve because of quotas and they have less taxing matches in the early matches of the tournament.

In a full PSS where all the big guns are eligible, it's tougher for them.

15. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    I think you are correct, 10 years contract starting 2014 for 100 million yuan, USD16 million.
    That is a lot of money for absolutely not having to sweat, train and play any games, just don't do stupid things and screw it up, and LD got it made. That sure equates to a lot of SS(P) prize money. Perhaps YY think LD the GOAT to give this kind of cash.

Justin L likes this.
  16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Yes again.
    I would rather leave a good impression especially for young and new people to badminton. Your impression of Taufik is a good example.

Don't want like when you ask a 12 year kid from HK when he is at 18 about Ah Dan and Ah Wei, oh Ah Dan lost to JC in the first round of so and so tournament and Ah Wei lost to our current WC with a cramp and was labelled a cheat trying to buy time.

17. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    What do you think why they are still playing??
    I agree with you 'history has shown athletes who stay on too long because of money turn into embarrassing shells of themselves' but then driving Ferrari and laughing all the way to the bank.....wonder is ROFLOL, now that is food for thought;)

18. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Good day, Uncle OTB.
    Back to Malaysia for visiting and the fried kuey teow?

19. OneToughBirdie

engineer
    Best wishes to you too. Went home in May 2017 and just got back from Europe last month, and will be going home again next year probably August/September stopover in China.

nokh88 likes this.
  20. charleslim

charleslim Regular Member

Dream Job