Yonex ASTROX 77 (2017)

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Cycril, Aug 2, 2017.

1. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

That's what Lemollin has, so it's available in the market already.

2. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

In Germany only 4u Astrox77 is available. In other markets only yellow 4u and blue 3u are available...

3. badmintony

4. Lemollin

Lemollin Regular Member

I guess they dont have yellow 3u version in UK.

5. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

We barely get G5 Yonex in the UK, mate.

6. badmintony

This has been quite a mystery with Yonex, why until now they don't seem to pay any attention to this matter.

7. esppy

esppy Regular Member

They do - and they're consistently heavier in dry weight than the blues.

I'm guessing your area is a bit neglected eh...

8. myrtillus

myrtillus Regular Member

You sure about this? I thought most professional players use 3U

9. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

Had a few hits with a blue 4U yesterday. Very impressed. Fast, solid, easy power. Feels like Mr. Voltric had a fling with Ms. Arcsaber and out came little Astrox. If they make an extra-sharp compact-headed Z-Whatever from it one day (which they will!), this could be a hell of a racket.

buibui2 likes this.
  10. Ch1k0

Ch1k0 Regular Member

N/A
    Z Slash to Z Force to Z Speed to Z Strike. I vote Z Hadouken

Sent from my LG-H990 using Tapatalk

s_mair likes this.
  11. shreyas666

shreyas666 Regular Member

chief mis-information officer
    z sword? z-supernova? z-slit? z-smack, s-swat or my personal favourite "z-smite", which should have been zf2

12. Genkz

Genkz Regular Member

I could also imagine that Yonex keeps the astronomic theme and call it "z-space" or "z-star"
    Oh well, just lean back, wait for the astrox 88 introduction during the new England series followed by the z-anything the year after. Doubt they are keeping it till 2020 for the olympic games in japan, although I am awaiting some serious special editions for this event.

13. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    astrox Infinity..png

Took me 5 ish mins to make. I'd buy it :p

#473 swsh, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  14. jayaloha

jayaloha Regular Member

Just reading through the comments (@Lemollin) on the last pages here and I just wanted to add that I do feel that the JS12 is more accurate and precise than the 77 in 3U. I had control problems with the 77, this is why I am still doubting between my old Arc11 and my 77.

What I am looking for is an Arcsaber with a tiny bit more clearing and smashing power. I was hoping to find this in the Astrox 77 but I feel it is basically just like the old Voltric 70. (which I really loved also btw but wasn't the best for defence in doubles).

The main things I miss in the 77 is 1: the quick drive-counterattack, 2: the stick smash execution and 3: precision, all the things I do like about my Arc11. The 77 I find a little too sluggish for those shots. So, I might sell my 77 3U yellow in Germany. Not 100% sure yet.

I do like the power of the racket, especially in clears. It is just that power in itself is nice, but I feel like some shots were just all over the place last weekend. Surely my (lack of) technique (I am a decent intermediate player) is a factor and also perhaps I have to get used to the racket more. I dunno. Tonight I might try my Arc11 again and report back. The JS12 is not an option for me because of problematic quality issues...

justinloong likes this.
  15. Lemollin

Lemollin Regular Member

Well, is your Astrox77 currently your fav go to string & tension? At my side Bg80 works pretty well along with slightly high tension (28lbs), I'd get all my shots such as smashes, drops ,drives, lifts and etc in a very satisfy way.

For accuracy, how do you find the stiffness of Astrox77? It's strange that a more flexible shaft you are able to get more accuracy of it. but one thing i can assure is that Astrox77 is definitely stiffer than JS12. I would suggest maybe you can tighten up your tension a little bit more like 1-2lbs higher to see whether does it work for you.

I don't own Arc11 therefore i can't comment anything about it to compare with Astrox77.

16. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

For me, Astrox77 and JS12 are both medium stiff. Both rackets are powerful and the hitting surface is really solid and presents a very strong face to the shuttle. Control is really good! Speed is good too, but not like a JS10.

Both are easy to play top rackets. My feeling is better with the Astrox77, but it's just nuances.
    Astrox77: 9,5/10
    Jetspeed12S: 9/10

17. yippo888

yippo888 Regular Member

Therapy Radiographer
    Anybody transitioned to astrox from rackets like Victor Mx jjs, mx90, or hx800ltd control and hx800ltd power variants?

18. myrtillus

myrtillus Regular Member

How was the result?

19. jayaloha

jayaloha Regular Member

oh yeah, sorry. I was gonna report back. I am still undecided. Everytime I play with the 77 I feel and enjoy the power but it's like a heavy hammer when it comes down to quick deception shots, or stick smashes, it is sluggish. When I then pick up the Arc11 I love the speed and airy feeling, but hate the lack of power. Now, I am more confused then ever. If I would have to pick a racket I think I would go for the 77. But I am still not sure about it. Would love what other people have to say about it. I really would love a (non Duora) racket that sits right in the middle. I am afraid it doesn't exist. Or does it? If the Duora wouldn't have that doeble side **** I would give that a try. I am though always flipping my racket and don't wanna be busy with constantly checking which side is where. Perhaps the Jetspeed 12 might be a good contender after all? It is a shame I can not see a Victor Racket Matrix anywhere to see how they position that racket...

20. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

IMHO, astrox77 is a good racquet. For most of the guys who got used to stiffness like arc10 and arc11, it is a little too light and a little too flexible. For anyone who uses arc7 or original vt80, it is time for you to jump on astrox77 band wagon. I like it for the easy clear. Good to good+ control. You will need to adjust your swing to get most out of smash because your smash on the first day will be waist to chest high and often time goes out.

justinloong and kwun like this.