Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Master

Master Regular Member

Next year the prize money is increasing, LCW will also reconsider about that.

2. lasalleguy

lasalleguy Regular Member

wannabe player
    He is LCW, still the best MS player in Malaysia. If he retires, who else can shoulder the MS in Thomas Cup? AG ? WC?
    He is doing a national task for Malaysia, money is secondary to him (he is rich enough already....).
    Old soldiers never die, they just fade away......

EddieNg88 and Master like this.
  3. Master

Master Regular Member

Yes, still the secondary gives enough motivation to stay on-court.

While MAS only have 1 best MS, why the best should retired? It's so contrast to other countries which have better player than the older one when no issue about asking the older player to retired.

So, you know what I mean.

4. indrg

indrg Regular Member

People can be so harsh and mean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Misbun Sidek unhappy with Lee Chong Wei wanting to change 'style'

Sidek:
    He is trying to slow down the pace of the rally thinking he is too old

Actually, Chong Wei has been carried away by thinking too much about his age. For example, he thought he was old and was trying to slow down the game. It’s always risky of doing something drastically different while he is still one of the best players in the world. He only needs some minor tweaks,”

[​IMG]

LCW lost in the first round of the World Championships 2017 working under the guidance of Sidek.

http://www.badmintonplanet.com/badminton-news/11093-misbun-sidek-lee-chong-wei-still-top-shape.html

6. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

And I can guarantee you, that if this is a serious remark, I'll never bother to read more badminton play related posts from you again.

;-)

Cheers,
    FB

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Delusional fans will be delusional :D

8. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Ah, of course not.
    It was a badly baked joke.
    Sorry for Abian fans.

9. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

If LCW retired, Malaysia badminton will descended into the Dark Ages.
    I still remember the age before LCW come on Malaysia badminton scene and start winning SS one after another.
    Even by just winning AE it will make the whole Malaysian jubilant and the winner will get a many gift & reward one after another.

Winning 2003 AE:
    PM Mahathir asks states not to ‘spoil’ Hafiz
    https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nation/2003/02/18/mahathir-asks-states-not-to-spoil-hafiz/

Wining 2017 AE:
    I don't remember reading any news LCW was being ‘spoil’ with gift/rewards....because malaysian have kind of used to it...It was like "Oh another SS"

10. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Not an Abian fan at all.

I just didn't read it as a joke :)

In general, the difference between male and female players are really really big in badminton.

I can't recall if I wrote this before:
    Danish badminton broadcasters are using former doubles player Jim Laugesen as one of their experts. He said something not so nice about Line Kjærsfeld during a broadcast, which prompted Line to challenge Jim Laugesen to a single.
    Now, Jim is 43 I think, and has not played high level singles for many years, he was a doubles player when he peaked. He got kicked from the national squad 13 years ago by Steen Pedersen (when he played with Mogensen, in order to pair Mogensen with Boe instead). He is not in good shape.
    Nevertheless, Jim had one week to practice, got some tips from Peter Gade I think, probably from some of the current national MS players, and a bit of help and coaching from Danish Technical Coach Lian Ying Zhang.
    Then he proceeded to beat Line Kjærsfeld.
    :)

j4ckie and Cheung like this.
  11. Baddyforall

Baddyforall Regular Member

Lee chong wei will come back if his training concentrates on his fitness as well. It is not impossible.

#13651 Baddyforall, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  12. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

I think the most important thing is the fire to play. LCW has just been on a strange track this year. He tore his knee ligament before the All England and came back three weeks early, still won it. I think that was a bad decision as he played physically compromised, and in April, he lost to LD twice, in Malaysia and at Asia Championship. At those tournaments, he did not seem physically at his best. Ever since those defeats, he had very strange defeats to Prannoy, Leverdez and just now Nishimoto. If I were Chong Wei, I would just take a break from tournament play, possibly even for the rest of the year, Ala Roger Federer, focus on training and physical preparation, and just come back for the All England, physically and mentally revitalized, ready to dominate

13. ownz.uno

ownz.uno Regular Member

I just hope he will retired with a bang!.. next year perhaps..
    He deserved it.

14. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

Well he has publicly stated that he wants to go to Olympics 2020, I can see it happening considering that Malaysia have no one in sight to replace him, and he is still way better than pretty much every up and coming player, and can give anyone in the world a FIGHT. I see him as favroite for Asian Games and Worlds, I think he will learn A LOT from the defeat in 2017 WC. Remember All England 2016 where he suffered a similar sort of defeat (It was even worse, he lost in straight games to Sai Praneeth) in first round. He learned a lot from that and he convincingly won this year WITH A TORN KNEE. I think this Worlds was a wake up call, and if he takes it the right way, will finally be the wake up call to him, to stop worrying about the pressure Malaysia and the World puts on him, and instead focus on enjoying the game, that is when he plays best (I remember he made comments after he beat LD in Rio 2016, he talked about how Memories of London 2012 came to his mind when LD saved the three match points, but he just said "Enjoy the Game" and we all know what happened next, still lost in the final, but he finally broke that LD curse)

15. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Asian Games Gold Medal is a great parting gift for LCW

16. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I hope this is slightly sarcastic:D

17. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

I hope that LCW goes until Tokyo, he is one of my all-time favourite players. I want him to disprove all his doubters. Lee Hyun Il proves that one can keep a very high level into one's late 30's, I wouldn't consider it too far fetched for him to pull a solid, and actually win Tokyo 2020 (Unlikely, but VERY possible, if you know what I mean)

18. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    One can only hope;)

19. Anand S

Anand S Regular Member

The way I see it, LCW is creating unnecessary mental battles within himself by thinking about his age. Misbun was saying the same thing as well. So what if he is 35, he is as physically and technically capable of winning as player in the world. He can play his best or better, if he puts his mind to it, and plays without any thoughts about age or crap like that. He is still an extremely high level player

Sundis likes this.
  20. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee