Widest badminton shoe 2017

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by pete0, Oct 27, 2017.

1. pete0

pete0 New Member

What is currently the widest badminton shoe? I ask since I have US8 width ~3E. (Obviously not in the badminton width sense but in general US-standard. You can see my foot size below.)
    Upon contacting some sellers, they said that on the EU/US market the Victor SH-a830 CG is widest. They, however, measured that its US8 has insole width 4.1'' i.e. 10,4cm which compared to my 11cm wide foot means that I am not sure I can even get my foot into that. I thus wonder whether there exists any wider options. Someone said here that Mizuno Wave Fang SS wide is 2E so perhaps at least more wide than the Victor shoe. My idea was that if I took that in US9 or equivalent I could actually have enough room on the sides. Can anyone confirm what width the Mizuno Wave Fang SS wide actually is?

If no one knows enough wide badminton shoes, I would be interested in the next option. Perhaps basketball shoes?

My foot size more exactly: I have on my left foot length 25.8cm/26.1cm and width 10.9cm/11.2cm and ball girth 26,7cm. (The first lengths are along and perpendicular to foot and the second values length from heel to big toe and the ball length respectively.) I have totally normal arc.

2. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

I have the same problem and cannot find anything. To find wide shoes is a headache :(
    Try Yonex 65W and do not forget about cushioning, it is very important.
    Let me know if you find something.

3. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

Just one more thing. I solved this problem by buying handbill shoes Kempa Cyclon XL. True size, amazing grip, good cushioning, stable and durable as hell (2 years in January but I still use them). The only problem is that they do not produce them anymore. It is possible to find some on Amazon, but unfortunately not my size. If you find yours just go for them, they are just amazing.
    Here are the details:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-balance-asics-etc.159604/page-2#post-2418592

4. pete0

pete0 New Member

Thanks, I feel you. I hear the 65W is replaced now with the Alpha version SHB65AW. I have contacted people if I get some kind of width of insole before ordering. I wonder if Kempa handball shoes handle landings as good as badminton shoes; probably they are a bit heavy at least. These are in any case really difficult to get any info. I found some online stores saying that both the Yellow Tornados KE942A00V202 and the Red CYCLONE XL KE942A00U302 are of EU-width M. That would sound quite good to me. The Tornado XL would be much easier to order though and is advertised as "Extra wide last".

5. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

They are really comfortable, wide and with a good cushioning which compensate landings quite well.
    One shoe in size 43 is 370 gram, I think it is quite a lot, but I am about 90 kg, so it is not a problem. Plus It makes them really durable.
    I you find one in your size - give them a chance. You always should try and feel them and it is possible so return them anyway.
    https://www.amazon.de/dp/B00VCPYYEK...YEK&childASIN=B00VCPYYEK&tag=geizhalspre03-21

PS And be careful with fake online stores, they usually have "300 pair is stock" and all sizes available.

#5 BadmiCat, Oct 28, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
  6. pete0

pete0 New Member

I am just adding here info for anyone else needing very wide shoes. I got confirmation that the first size of 65AW that has ball width almost 11cm is 27.5CM which is US9.5. Thus 65AW is nowhere near 3E. So the 28.0cm i.e. US10 would have necessary ball width for me, although might be true that my ball does not quite hit that part of the shoe.

Thanks to you BadmiCat, I am now looking the Kempa shoes. I have contacted e.g. the manufacturer about what is exactly the widest shoe. Will post back here upon receiving an answer.

7. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The 65AW/WEX should be a 4E shoe.

Li Ning also make comfortable wide fit shoes.
    https://www.shop-lining.com

8. pete0

pete0 New Member

I know you can see that everywhere. In these numbers which I call badminton width, nearly all the badminton shoes are at least 3E, the wider shoes are 4E and e.g. Victor SH-A830-FC is 5E as claimed by the manufacturer. These are, however, not true shoe widths per the US-standard. If you take nearly any manufacturer say New Balance, and compare the Victor 5E, it is not actually even 2E. Obviously no manufacturer uses the widths in exactly the same way, so there will always be differences, but at least nearly all of them use the widths quite similarly, so you know that Asics 4E and New Balance 4E will be quite the same. As for badminton shoes, that 4E is totally different width. I do not actually know from where these badminton widths come from and why are they used like that. For badminton widths, I would need 6E to get good fit; needless to say they do not make that wide shoes right now.

A seller said that no Li Ning is wider than Victor SH-A830-FC, so I am afraid they are not of help.

#8 pete0, Oct 29, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  9. paroxysmal

paroxysmal Regular Member

Yes
    I read somewhere that Mizuno manufacture wide shoes too. Do check their thread.

10. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    4E is as wide as it gets for badminton I think.

I know most Li Ning shoes are a 4E.

Maybe you could check with Asics? I saw a page a while ago that showed Asics shoes available with varying widths.

11. pete0

pete0 New Member

Sadly Asics does not seem to make wide court shoes. The Gel Rocket 8 (which is probably more of a volleyball shoe) actually seem quite wide by looking the outsole from the bottom, but they are only D width. So many manufacturers do loads of wide running shoes; for some reason they just seem to be repelled by any kind of wide court shoes.

I am still waiting info on how wide the Kempa shoes and Wave Fang SS wide are. (Manufacturers are quite bad at answering anything in general. Even online stores generally do not really like to measure anything: they just like you to order shoes.)

12. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

Agree 100%, Asics is not wide at all. And they are not really stable, with dangerous tendency to slope inside (but probably only for me, shoes are really personal thing).
    I also do not have any choice but Kempa and Wave Fang RX.
    But never have an opportunity to try Mizuno, just could not find a seller with a return and a suable price.
    Cushioning is crucial for me because of completion, but all the reviews say that this quality is not the best, the grip is. Wave Fang SS reviews say that the sole became even more rigid and narrow.
    Also, there are 2E (normal), 3E (wide) and 4E (extra wide) models, and really nice colors
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So if you try it, just let me know your opinion.

I have a plan to try this model though because of cushioning http://www.yonex.com/sports/badminton/products/badminton/footwear/SHBCFM/, but I also keep Wave Fang in mind.

#12 BadmiCat, Oct 30, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2017
  13. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

One more thing about wides - New Balance 2E (wide) and Kempa Cyclone XL are pretty similar. The size is also true, 43 NB is 43 Kempa.

14. pete0

pete0 New Member

If the Cyclone is about 2E, then it is quite the same as SH-A830 GC or 65AW, meaning that I would need US 9.5 for even plausible fit.

Now, I actually thought I had as a safe bet the New Balance 581 in 4E (a basketball shoe), but it turns out I cannot find a way to get that to Europe. Nor anything else in any way proper for badminton from New Balance. Even the a830 is pain in the ass to find. I, however, found the old 65W available to me with free return, so now I am just guessing what would be the right size to try ordering.

#14 pete0, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
  15. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member

If you need something from the US, use www.MyUS.com
    Works perfectly

16. pete0

pete0 New Member

Yeah, thanks. It though costs so much (especially returning) that I will first try little cheaper options.

17. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

If you want to try the Yonex/Mizuno 4E models you should get the Japanese version, not the International/Asian version. A few years ago someone made a comparison of one of the Yonex shoes and the JP version was wider than the wide Euro/International model ... [edit: it was the SHB-200]
    Also Asics doesn't seem to have a specific wide shoe but some can fit better than others.

#17 demolidor, Oct 31, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2017
    visor likes this.
  18. Okaharu

Okaharu Regular Member

I'm not sure about other markets, but the SHB-65aW (alpha wide) were taken off the shelves in Japan shortly after their release.
    Was actually planning on buying a pair of alpha wide when they just came out but the owner actually recommended against it... why this may be, I'll leave it for yourself to determine.

None of the alpha shoes are actually on sale anymore in Japan. So the only 4E shoes by Yonex you can find here now are the original SHB-65W and the new generation SHB-65zW (the one with the new power cushion+).

I ended buying the SHB-65W and have never looked back since. Super in terms of comfort and support, bye-bye blisters! Highly recommended!

19. pete0

pete0 New Member

I was just able to try SHB-65WEX and at even couple sizes too large it was way too narrow. The form of the shoe in particular seemed to be really problematic: the outsole is built with such emphasis on the outer longitudinal arch that my big toe area did not really even touch ground with that shoe. I am thus quite skeptical the JP version will be that much help.

I have now some experience that even some general manufacturers do not really make 4E that wide. For example, I bought Nike Air Zoom Vomero 12 in 4E. While it is nice to have running shoes with wide base and which are not too long, these have quite weird structure that while the outsole truly is really wide (like really wide), the shoe from the inside is not really that wide (my foot is still clearly more wide than the insole on both sides of the ball).

20. BadmiCat

BadmiCat Regular Member