BWF Clothing/Advertising regulations

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Sprockett, Nov 21, 2015.

1. Sprockett

Sprockett Regular Member

Quick question on this...

The larger logos on the front of shirts seen these days must fall under the 10cm band allowance in this section on the general regulations?

what about the typical racket manufacturer logo under the player name in the back? Where is this discussed in the regs? I don't recall seeing ever seeing anything beside the YY, Li Ning symbol, etc. Can this logo be any advert? And what is the size restriction?

Thanks

2. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Advertising is indeed discussed in the GCR, §21-23. In particular, §23.2:

So the large logo will indeed typically be bound to be 10cm. If the logo has many holes (say it's just dots) in it, one could also use the 50cm² rule. However, looking at the size of the logos, I would personally estimate that some logos do seem to exceed that.

The logo on the back will typically be within the same band, or 20cm² on one of the areas outlined above.

3. Sprockett

Sprockett Regular Member

The typical YY on the back does not seem to be just 20cm square. Which would only be 4cm by 5cm. The 20cm square adverts also have specific positional requirements listed and neither the center front or anywhere where on the back is listed.

I see this rear logo mentioned just in the order of lettering on the back of shirt having to be name, country, logo.

Also, has anyone seen this logo as other that a racket supplier?

I ask these question because our team is having shirts printed and want to comply with these regs as a player was carded earlier this year at a international.

4. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Yes, the back center Yonex/Li-Ning logo will be the 10cm band.

5. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

:D You posted the rules but did you read them? The 5cm band is for the back; 10cm is for the front logo ...
    So basically your back logo will be 5cm in height and can cover the enitre width of your back. This was changed a few years ago to highlight the individual more than the country and sponsor (old back logo was maybe an 8cm band)

The 50cm² is for a short or skirt logo. A 20cm² logo is something like the Citroën logo the Chinese have.

But as always: there is already a topic regarding this issue (more than one probably) ;)

#5 demolidor, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2015
  6. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Oh, you are totally right, the back band can only be 5cm. @demolider Can you post a link to the previous thread?

7. Sprockett

Sprockett Regular Member

I searched and did see some discussion but again...

I'm wondering if anyone has seen an jersey that used the 5cm band in the back for anything other than a racket supplier sponsor? I haven't and wonder if there's something I'm missing in the regs that limit this?

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

#8 demolidor, Nov 23, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  9. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Equipment sponsors just happen to be the main sponsor for most players or national teams who in turn require the players to wear the logo but there is no rule that requirs it to be a racket sponsor brand.

10. Tango97

Tango97 Regular Member

I've been reading through some posts about the advertisement sizes on shirts, I understand that advertisements which can please placed on left sleeve, right sleeve, left shoulder, right shoulder, left collar, right collar, right chest, left chest and centre chest must not exceed 20 Square Centimetres, but with some of the players now on their shirts the larger logo in the centre is much larger than 20 Square Centimetres and I don't really understand the regulations on 23.2.3

Advertising contained in a band of uniform width not exceeding 10 centimetres on the front and not exceeding five centimetres on the backs. Such a band may be at any angle and may be on the front of the shirt, the back of the shirt, or both.

I don't understand when it says band of uniform, does anyone care to explain to me because I'm designing shirts for international play and I need to get this right.

It'd be great if someone could help

Thank You

11. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

The 5 cm band is height of 5 cm, and 10cm is height of 10 cm, length doesn't matter. It can run across the shirt. For example, in the background photo of the forums, is a picture of Wang Shixian. Her Red Bull logo in the center of her shirt, the height of that cannot be more than 10 cm. On the back, under the name (and country, if present) shall be the 5cm band. The order of the back of the shirt is IMPORTANT. It must be name, country, logo.