[VIDEO] Singles Progression

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by DarkHiatus, Feb 14, 2017.

1. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

I noticed that when you perform a deep lunge your foot rolls onto the outside edge and your heel comes off the floor. It's better for your joints and tendons if you can keep your whole heel flat when lunging because it's your body's main shock absorber, otherwise all that force is going into your knee joint (which is bad!). Just a small piece of advice to help prevent injury. MSeeley and Cheung seem to be covering everything else in great detail :).

Aventus, Cheung and DarkHiatus like this.
  2. RC47

RC47 Regular Member

I had some time to read over the past couple of posts and this caught my eye. You are correct: you should be landing then hitting your shot. However, the delay between these two should small/unnoticeable. If someone were to watch you play, it should seem as if you were landing and hitting at the same time.

It's important that you focus on hitting your shot first, then start your recovery back to base.

Cheung likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Yes. However, in a practical sense, if you practice it to be simultaneous, the delay will be only seen on slow motion. At the moment, your delay is too big. So, aim to hit it simultaneously as the foot heel lands on the floor. Secondly, your present technique gives you fewer options on the disguise shots. If you usually hit it as the foot lands, you increase consistency and quality. You also train your opponent to recognise this. Then, every 1 in ten to fifteen shots, throw in your present technique i.e. the slight delay. In Chinese, this is described as the 'second timing'. If you can master both techniques on the forehand forecourt area, this is a powerful technique for 'destroying the balance' of the opponent.

At 5.28, you can see how Tai sets up the disguise shot within a rally. First she plays a nearly routine forecourt netshot. The rally then continues. Then, she plays a smash at 5.36 to make her opponent hit to the forecourt forehand area (a smash that is not intended to win the point!). The shuttle comes back to Tai's forehand forecourt. Tai runs forward lands her foot first and then quite clearly hits the shuttle on a second timing.

At 8.09, you can see another example of using the smash to set things up.

Aventus likes this.
  4. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Let's go through some individual pointers (youtube slow motion is wonderful):

0.03 - got a lift and control of the rally. Then send the shuttle straight out the side. On a first rally like that, don't go for the sides like that! Even the top players will aim 3 feet within the line.

0.11 0.54 - your preparation stance. Left foot is slightly too far forward. When the opponent serves, you brought your left foot backwards! If you hadn't brought that left foot backwards, you would have got the shuttle over the net. To solve this issue, in your preparation stance, bring the right foot forward a bit (because your right leg is too straight to push effectively). Then with the left foot, weight more distribution of the bodyweight on the front of the foot and much less on the heel. This stores potential energy in your feet. As the opponent hits the shuttle that's when you sink into your feet a little and start. For this sequence, the shuttle has already come across the net before you start to move. That means you will be late on getting the shuttle. I noticed after you put the shuttle in the net, yuo did a few practice swings of your racquet. It was actually your feet and delayed reaction time that caused the error.

0.16 you play a backhand push to the forecourt of the opponent's backhand. No problem with that. Here are the errors. Just before the opponent hits the shuttle, you have turned your shoulders to face the opponent. . You stand straight up so your centre of balance is not forward enough. As he hits the shuttle, you step back with your right leg. Why? The shuttle has yet to leave his racquet? Because of the square on shoulders + upright posture + step backwards, you get into awful problems.

0.23 you didn't change grip style for that backhand. That's why it went back slow and high. 0.26 you play to his forehand (arm action is a bit big) and position on bounce step to a bit far to the right of the centre line. I think here, because you are to the right of the centre line, probably a backhand clear would have been easier (unless he plays a really high clear).

0.36, 0.43 Split step is a bit too slow.

2.22 in your deep corner, the footowrk should be to turn your foot pointing outwards and away from the net. i.e. it should turn to point backwards. This will place less strain on your lateral ligaments of the ankle reducing the chance of ankle sprain.

2.34 The reason you got caught out on the return of serve is that the opponent started taking the shuttle earlier. I feel that this shot is within your capabilities to reach - it is a matter of having programmed the correct footwork pattern. You need to watch if the opponent changes his hitting point on return of serve - people rarely play the same shot from a different hitting point.

3.33 This shot comes in your best rally. Although the quality of the shot is not good, that is not my primary concern. The body movement after playing the shot goes to the centre of the court. I think it should not go to the centre so much.

3.44 This is a very tactical point. What has happend is you have played a backhand return of serve to the opponent's backhand forecourt. Check what your right foot does. You take a step backwards leaving a really big gap on your forehand side. Made things physically very difficult for yourself. BTW your lift was a very good lift, allowing you time to get back unlike some of your other lifts in this match. It allowed you to take back control of the rally. I have noticed in other videos, when you play to this corner, you can sometimes move back quite a lot before the opponent hits the shuttle.

In general, for the 1st game, almost all but one backhand return of serves you did were to two areas of the court. You opponent learnt that the shuttle would be predictable. He saves energy - you don't. The vast majority of smashes were to the backhand side of the opponent, especially from your round the head position - he learnt that and made you pay by scrambling/running loads. You have got to be able to hit to four areas of the court from these positions to keep the opponent guessing and work him physically. The more he guesses, the less on balance he is and the easier the workload on you.

You clearly are pretty fit. If you improve footwork, court sense and tactics, this match would have been a three setter.

There are some finer details to work on but keep improving these basic holes in your game.

**Edited 16/5/2017 @DarkHiatus

#104 Cheung, May 15, 2017
    Last edited: May 16, 2017
    Aventus and DarkHiatus like this.
  5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

See if you can work on this exercise with your coach. Don't use the trick feeding yet.

You will find it is impossible to move fast without good control of footwork and body.

Very tiring exercise and will train your fitness.

And another training video.

#105 Cheung, May 18, 2017
    Last edited: May 19, 2017
    Chirag Deshpande, Aventus and pepe54 like this.
  6. ralphz

ralphz Regular Member

I noticed that also that his smash was a lot of flick at the top and no follow through. I thought that was perhaps a stick smash though.. What is the difference between what he was doing, and a stick smash?

7. Whittalboy

Whittalboy Regular Member

I think you are very talented. You just need a proper coaching and training.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

I was brought back reading this because someone hit the like button.

I think what your coach does is okay. It is the more modern technique. Of course there is the but. Most players have learnt the more traditional turn body swing technique. I think that's still useful. I got the following from another website.

"My taichi instructor told me to make sure that movements are big and slow in the beginning, and then, as skill improves, they should become quicker and more efficient. His rationale for saying this is clear: if you learn to do things with slow, big movements, it’s quite easy to make them quicker and more efficient once you’ve learnt the motions properly. If you do it the other way around, however (i.e. you do everything quickly and with small movements from the start), it’ very hard to learn things properly."

9. DarkHiatus

DarkHiatus Regular Member

I've hit a bit of a roadblock in progress now and it is quite frustrating.

Previously, I have forgotten the forehand overhead motion, and I was reconstructing it bit by bit to build a stronger technique. I think I have retained it mostly.

This time, my rearcourt footwork appears to have deserted me. I am moving weakly to rearcourt on flatter lifts time after time now, even in drills where I am expecting it. I feel like I have lost what little rhythm I had before, and there's no conviction in my footwork, especially on the forehand side - probably because I'm not confident in a good return.

The rhythm/timing of footwork hasn't just affected my movement, but from the disjointed feel from the split step, my racquet technique is suffering too as I'm repeatedly taking the shuttle in awkward, tense positions.

I'm going back to the Rasmussen drill daily for now to try and build a semblance of rhythm, but the metaphorical step back is quite disheartening.

I see this as an opportunity to improve on my footwork mentality from a 'blank slate', but how?

10. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    It's very normal to feel uncomfortable on court - its simply a sign that you are working your way towards improvement. However, if your goal is to improve your footwork from where it currently is (and indeed surpass the skills you have ever had) then the time has come to really focus!

So here is my question: how much singles have you played lately? How much have you trained lately? How much off court physical conditioning have you done recently? How much footwork specific training have you done recently? How is your energy/diet/sleep/work?

There are many factors that can make you feel off with your movements. The real question is: how to improve. My view is that you are doing the correct thing already: do the Rasmussen drill and do it everyday and do it for a long time (e.g. set a timer for 20 minutes and do as much as you can in that time, taking regular breaks as necessary). I think this is a simple solution: do you feel, given that much dedicated practice, that there is any chance you would not improve if you trained in this way everyday for the next 6 weeks?

I personally think you have the right idea: focus on the rhythm, do some shadowing etc. You will probably surpass what you ever have achieved before if you keep at it for a few months. My view is that rhythm is most important, as it catches unnecessary and faltering steps - any kind of indecisive step is inefficient, and the more precise the movements the better the footwork. However, a certain level of in game (or specific drill) practice is always useful to apply the skills properly.

Good luck - if you have any specific questions then just ask!

11. DarkHiatus

I methodically went through this list before you mentioned! A natural path, when you finish a session and think, "what is going on?!"

- played sparing amount of actual singles games. Past month or two has been drill games e.g. play set strokes, but wherever you want.

- loads of singles training drills, but this has focused on base to X drills, and defence.

- sparing amounts of off court physical conditioning - my biggest frustration recently was a game where I felt like I had 90% left in my physical tank. I couldnt keep a rally going to even work up a sweat.

- footwork specific training has focused on base to X and recovery patterns as before. Transitions, especially on random stroke returns I haven't been doing much of.

- Local XD/MD league matches. These are generally of a club standard. I've improved quite a lot in doubles play with my pushes/drives being played with purpose, but very limited use in singles.

- energy levels/work/sleep have been variable, but do not appear to coincide with my performance. Past few weeks I've made sure to sleep/eat properly. I can be raring to on court by my game just doesn't hold together.

I could even go as far to say that I feel like a sprinter with his shoelaces tied together. Lots of potential, and willing to give training and games a lot of effort, but I just can't keep the rally going. It may also just be constantly playing higher competition...but I have to find some way to improve.

I am sure the Rasmussen drill will yield some sort of improvement, even if it does not fix the root issue. It is better than nothing...

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

Your game has made a massive change so it's quite normal for the pieces not to fall quite into place. And thus something will feel uncomfortable but you cannot quite place your finger on the problem.

I agree with rhythm but there might be something else as well from a technical point of view. Any chance of seeing you in training especially with those flat clears?

13. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

There can be a variety of reasons. It's difficult to diagnose but one thing I speculate your base is too far forward. This was a theme you had before.

Good. Fundamentals are important. Need to get them grooved.

Application in games is another different training level.

Depends if you are doing the proper training routines for rallies. That's another aspect of the game. Footwork will take you one step further towards playing longer. However, things like closing down areas of the court, manipulating the opponent's shot choice, whether your choice of shot reply is correct and just having enough experience are important details. But first, if you don't have the correct footwork and rhythm, then everything else is harder.

DarkHiatus likes this.
  14. DarkHiatus

I'll take a training video on Sunday. Hopefully I haven't completely gone backwards...

15. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    All of what you have described is what I would strongly associate with someone who is improving elements of their game. The discomfort is the thing you experience before the breakthrough - most people give up because its not working, but those who keep working hard get their results!

You mentioned above "root issue" - there is a chance that it is simply a matter of balance. The reason I say this is from personal experience myself and others I have coached: when there is something a little "off" about the start of the movement, everything gets considerably worse. This is usually just a balance and speed off the mark thing. As intermediate players, most don't struggle with this as they can anticipate sufficiently that they appear and feel quick. However, as players get more advanced and their defensive footwork needs to get better, this can greatly impact the ability to move in the previous way, even where footwork patterns are known and easy.

I believe this element of balance is achieved by practicing:
    • Lots of footwork
    • Lots of singles/simulated drills
    • Lots of patterns of different types of movement to different corners e.g. defensive to one corner then aggressive jump to another

Ultimately I think this is all developed quite easily given enough time to practice and the necessary physical attributes - which you have! But most people don't do enough footwork practice! Imagine yourself in 6 months time if you did the rasmussen drill for 30 minutes everyday. Can you doubt how incredible your movement would be?

And for me it is that simple. Sometimes the "goal" can be so far away its difficult to understand how to get there or what is currently holding you back. Regardless of what the "goal" is, its sometimes easier to just focus on the activities you KNOW you need to work on. Write down what a professional athlete would do, if they couldn't be on court all the time, to develop their footwork. They need leg strength, general agility, and excellent footwork technique (which encompasses timing, rhythm, number of steps, balance, posture etc). The rasmussen drill can, if done explosively, target all these attributes. But maybe you want to throw some heavy lifting or agility training into the mix to help. The real question is: what could I do to progress each of these things, (knowing that it will all be a positive impact on your game), and how often shall I commit to doing them?

Good luck!

Cheung and DarkHiatus like this.
  16. DarkHiatus

A game I played with Gupta yesterday. He appeared to be slightly off form, but there are plenty of examples of his punch clears/deceptive drops.

Any ideas? I'm reviewing it in slo-mo myself, so I'll update with notes when I've gathered my wits!

17. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    My first note would be: I find it hard to believe that standing at the back line, you or your training partner could hit that shuttle to the doubles service line. They look slow to me. Next time you play, give it a try. I'm not convinced that shuttle is appropriate for the hall.

If that hunch is right, it will make it harder.

The 1:08 forehand serve you tried would've been illegal, racket is pointing upwards at contact. Just so you know.

Backhands are taken much too low. Your elbow wants to be at about eye level when you hit out wide. If you can't deal with the RTH/backhand corner that well, don't play too many drops to that corner. Play them towards the middle or crosscourt to encourage him to lift into the open space, and into a spot where you're more comfortable taking the shuttle.

Watching your split step I noticed something too - at first I was looking for the absence of the split step given response times - but I noticed it is there. The trouble is, you seem to relax way back down as you hit the floor, so much so your heels drops back down straight away. Try to keep just a little bit of elevation from your split step, remember it's to ready you for movement.

Right now, and again this could be the shuttle as I said earlier, you don't seem to have a high clear/lift in your arsenal. You might think it's a high clear, but it's really not. The point of contact your opponent is making, is with the cork facing his strings. Watch his clears and where the shuttle faces as he hits them. He's converting your momentum against you.

18. DarkHiatus

Had a quick check in slo-mo - the serve at 1:08 is almost exactly horizontal at contact. The follow through is upward, but does that matter? Tbf, I miscalled a line call as well - slow mo shows it clearly on the line but I called it out...if it's a Hawkeye callable offence I think an umpire would give benefit of the doubt, but thanks for the heads up.

Not sure what you mean by backhand comments - is the drop to my backhand corner supposed to encourage a straight lift from my opponent? More often my opponent plays the crosscourt lift to my forehand corner from that side - the only way I can avoid playing my backhand is get myself round the head (which I'm okay with), or to hang back in my backhand corner and leave my forehand side open, which is suicide against this guy since my forehand rearcourt is worse than my backhand corner. Although my RTH looks uncomfortable, I'm actually okay in this position as I have cross/straight drop+stick smash, and a straight clear. Backhand I have loopy straight drop, midcourt clear, and loopy crosscourt drop (50% goes into the net)...

Comment about contact point is right though - isn't just backhand side, it's all of my strokes when I have more than 2 steps (though it is glaringly obvious on BH). For some reason I pause before I hit, and I forget I still need to prepare my stroke, then have to rush the stroke. Working on this for sure!

You are right about these shuttles. They are slow - cold hall, but we tipped 1 in 4 on a speed 77 and still they were slow. The only way I won games was when I cleared fully towards the back - otherwise it was a perpetual battle of me trying to hit a clear/lift to my opponents rearcourt. I've been wondering if the drops/punch clears are especially effective because of the slower shuttles. I'm also thinking surely I should be able to do the same to my opponents though?

Finally on split step...I find it incredibly hard to time my split step against Gupta. If I stay elevated, I tend to over-anticipate his strokes and end up the wrong way, so my response is to lengthen the split step. I've left it as is because I don't know what else I should do really.

19. rbynck

rbynck Regular Member

Your hitting seems very punchy - possibly due to the lack of follow-through. It especially becomes clear when you observe your RTH clears.
    Remember to scissor-kick as you play those clears from your RTH and stay low as u hit the ground afterwards. That will help eliminate the problem u have with balance and recovery after RTH clears :)

DarkHiatus likes this.
  20. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Line calls happen, the serve looked off to me and figured I'd bring it up.

Regards to backhands, sorry I should clarify. If you play towards your backhand side, the length they have to lift is shorter towards your long backhand corner. If you struggle with your backhands there, it's better to move the shuttle back towards the middle more to prevent getting that line shot.

I do it a lot in doubles because I know my opponents want to keep me in that corner, and I really don't want to be push into that corner too much.

For your backhand try this:
    Use the regular backhand grip (not the bevel grip) get behind the shuttle, and hit it with some pace, downwards. Play it like a high up drive.

Backhands aren't the easiest shots, but this one can be handy as a 'nothing shot' to get you out of trouble.

Mseeley told me before I tried it - tipping slow shuttles doesn't work that well - you really need to buy a heavier/faster shuttle. Grab some 78s and 79s and see how the game plays for comparison. While you say that, slow shuttles can prevent hits going long or even wide, lets some people play very tight drop shots. It can be a significant problem. Personally, I don't function well with slow shuttles. I rely too much on pace change (playing high clears to suddenly playing fast angled drops and fast follow ups) and that's not an option when the opponent is hitting clears like smashes.

For your split, you don't need to change the anticipation element, just keep your heel off the floor for a touch longer. Don't fall back to neutral too quickly.

DarkHiatus likes this.