Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

at least they no follow Kim Jong Un's hairstyle anyway...

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

One of the best pair even with perfect record in SS Finals.

They certainly have the genes of Ahsan/Hendra which i cant remember lost in a Big Final (2 WC from which only 2 played which i actually hoped will be the norm for WC - not every year please, AG Final @Korea, 2 YearEnd Finals).

Thats what champion mentality all about in tight games of Badminton.

3. titionthewall

titionthewall Regular Member

Pediatric resident, badminton fan

A cute boomerang gif after today's semifinal

4. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    They lost to BoMorg again and again and today also. They need to be slplit soon. Kevin needs a partner who is better so they can beat BoMorg. LYD and KSH reached WR1 but they lost in the WC and to BoMorg so they split them and paired LYD with YYS, they never won the WC, KSH actually did, but the point is LEE/YOO never lost to BoMorg.

5. Master

Master Regular Member

It's not about splitting them when losing against BoeMo. LYD/KSH splitting have another issue that was categorized by KOR psychologist.

Even BoeMo have beaten Kevin/Gideon 3 times in a row, they losing against Zhang Nan/Liu Cheng. And this way Kevin/Gideon have 2-0 record against Zhang Nan/Liu Cheng and one of their won are just after ZN/LC became World Champion.

BoeMo never split even they've never became World Champion. And the splitted pair like LYD also have never won their World Champion yet.

Kevin/Gideon IMO only need to find another tactic to beat BoeMo. On their press conference, Kevin/Gideon admitted that they're not perform well at Korea SS final and making many errors, a bit panic and need to more calm in their playing. Again, experiences talk better in this way. But I believe they will rise again.

6. ngkt67

ngkt67 Regular Member

Kevin/Gideon still INA best hope for upcoming World Championship and Olympic Game as they are still young, they can be more powerful than legend Candra Wijaya/Tony Gunawan, Kim Dong Moon/Ha Tae Kwan and Fu Haifeng/Cai Yun...
    their only problem is Kevin focus more on front court while Gideon deals with back court...

7. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  9. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    What exactly do you mean "they can be more powerful" than the players you mentioned - because in all the possible meanings I can think of, it is not true.

10. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Powerful is not the right word. and they are not powerful .. they are not strong individuals only 170cm in heights both of them.

They dont play that way. They play in a way both can sinergize to beat opponents.

Maybe they dont like playing BoeMog but they like playing against the Chinese Japanese and Korean pairs. So in a way, its not right to compare. BoeMog doesnt like playing vs Lee/Jung or Cai/Fu in their heydays but dont mean KevGid cant beat these two pairs.

So lets just enjoy. Since when again 2 or 5 or 10 years ago, we ever think 2 170cm guys can beat all the pairs in the world right now and being top of rankings winning SS left and right. Thinking about it, its so damn unfair they are that small in court. It never came across my mind certainly. Thats what make them genius and special fun to watch. The only pair smaller than them is Dechapol/Kedren and Inoue/Kaneko but what can these two do ?

11. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I never knew they were 170cm tall, I always thought they were shorter than that! But that's not necessarily a disadvantage as they make up for it in different ways.

BoMo did reasonably well against Cai/Fu, but it was mainly the LYD/JJS and LYD/YYS they had trouble with. I don' t think BoMo had ever beaten LYD/YYS, neither have KSS/GMF!

I think the trouble that KS/GF have with Bo Mo is that they possess the strengths of tall players yet their flat play and movement are on par with shorter players. Notice how good BoMo's drives and returns of serve are. Then add to that their fantastic strategist Kenneth Jonassen, that is the winning formula.

KS/GF's main strength is speed and all round play. But it is not just speed in movement, but their super fast racquet skills too. They are able to play to a very fast pace that is uncomfortable for a lot of players but BoMo seem to cope very well. Consistency is probably their biggest obstacle. I think they could have beaten LYD/YYS at least on one occasion had they been more consistent but this is probably a bit of trade-off for the fast pace they like to play at.

Aventus likes this.
  12. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    Ahsan Setiawan could usually beat BoMo quite easy so they need to do some special training, the knowledge how to beat BoMo at least lies within PBSI I believe.

13. Master

Master Regular Member

Powerful/strong doesn't related with someone height IMO. It's related with doing physical training with some extra muscles addition in order to gain more power into their strokes. Shorter players could be more powerful than the higher players.

And yes, Kevin/Gideon doesn't performing power play which is giving the priority for attacking smash too much for so many times. I will say Sonoda/Kamura was that pair with power play. And the other JPN pair Hoki/Kobayashi wasn't using power play as their majority of their play. And yesterday we looked Hoki/Kobayashi giving a little suprise at the first game against BoeMo.

There are some factors in their losing against BoeMo. First factor that made Kevin/Gideon having difficulty when meeting with BoeMo is their experiences (we all agree about saying BoeMo is surpasing several MD generations, mostly their opponents have been retired for so long time or even already become a coach. BoeMo have been partnered for 16 years).

Secondly, as you said their playing style may not comfortable enough to encounter BoeMo' playing style. Sometimes this factor make some players/pairs facing a difficulty.

Third factor, regarding Hendra/Ahsan and Lee Yong Dae/Yoo Yeon-seong able to overcome BoeMo is Kevin/Gideon doesn't have a specific game play with a structural hierarchy or in the other way I could say Kevin's reaction shot based on the courts just passed by and he isn't a thinker players like Hendra/Lee Yong Dae which have a specified returned shot to continue their previous shot in order to kill the opponent.

We may look Hendra/Ahsan and Lee Yong Dae/Yoo Yeon-seong could performed various playing styles with pre-designated patterns and changed their game speed as they want. But remember also about this experiences need times.

Hendra/Ahsan is more experienced pair (31 y.o & 28 y.o respectively) when they met BoeMo for the first time at 2012. Hendra have been a 2007 World Champion already with different partner (Markis Kido), and Ahsan was bronze medalist of 2011 World Championships.

So, it's totally different condition of both pairs (Kevin/Gideon & Hendra/Ahsan).

titionthewall and stanleyfm like this.
  14. skeksis

skeksis Regular Member

They are THE pair to beat atm. Only the Danes seem to have a gameplan that can stop them. I see absolutly no reason to split them up.

Besides that: Markus seems to be a nice guy where Kevin is arrogant as hell. But we have to respect that he is a really good player. If we like him or not does not count.

Khamenman likes this.
  15. sen

sen Regular Member

Both Kevin and Markus like to eat catfish at a small restaurant near my house. Actually Kevin is not "arrogant as hell" if you have met him in person.
    But he has different attitude on court.

Some people are like that, I play badminton with many people, some I don't like to play badminton with but they are still ok as a friend

16. Master

Master Regular Member

Yeah, arrogant isn't a proper saying about his behavior. And it's about the things happen in courts.

Maybe we could say it provocative action, but it's common in any sports. There is umpire and referee as well in every badminton match.

If any pair doesn't agree with umpire, they may have a chance to call referee. But again, it's happen with all badminton players. And they're young. Don't you notice Joachim Fisher is provocative too? It may different provocative actions happen in courts within different players/pairs. So, don't make it too much for Kevin/Gideon doing it over limit and such as unforgiven action with repetitive blow-up made in every meeting within Kevin/Gideon and Boe/Mogensen happen.

Badminton matches without provocative action is utopia as well. Rejecting shuttles changes, asking stop in between rallies, asking court sweep, denying service fault at least happen in court. Give the court's authority to the umpire, we may be giving some comments about it. But, don't make it big blown.

Ah.., is it called "Lele Penyet" there? :D
    Where is that located in?

17. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Surprise that i said Inoue/Kaneko is one of the smallest players and days later, they meet in Final of SS.

coIncidence?

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

BoMo are very disciplined in their play and do not play to their strengths (i.e. Kevin at the front). They try to focus on Fernaldi, who is by far the weaker link, and dont give them a whole lot of fast flat exchanges, which a lot of the Chinese and Korean doubles pairs do.
    And Cai/Fu wouldve wiped the floor with them.

;) no way to know that last part. But I'm pretty optimistic, Fu definitely couldve penetrated their defense and Cai couldve matched their speed around the mid court and net.

19. Master

Master Regular Member

And Inoue/Kaneko beating another giant pair from Rusia when Kevin/Gideon beating their rivals from Denmark.

The summary is size doesn't matter now days. Both in double and single categories have players which height is far away from their opponent but still able to win.

20. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Congrats on winning Japan Open and back to ranking WR number 1.