Strength - Agility - Flexibility - Endurable

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Justin91, Aug 19, 2017.

1. Justin91

Justin91 New Member

Hey guys I want to discuss about 4 factors in badminton (in my opinion),
    Strength - Agility - Flexibility - Endurable which make the style of player. I speak Enghlish as a second language so maybe the words I use are not really correct. Let me explain more:
    - Strength: the ability to hit the shuttle powerfully, strong players can smash the shuttle strongly and you feel the shuttle very heavy when you defense a powerful shot.
    - Agility: the ability to move quickly ofcourse but I don't talk about this, I mention the ability to hit the shuttle quickly, this can make the shuttle fly very very fast but not HEAVY. Recently, I realize that if I try to smash as strong as I can, the sound is really amazing but the shuttle doesn't fly fastly. The result is opponents can defense easily, but some of my frends hit it very fast (not strong), the shuttle fly as a flash, this is more difficult to defense.
    - Flexibility: if you observe beginning players make a net shot cross court, they use the racket not flexibly, it seems to be fixed on hand of beginning players. But we can see that athletes use their racket very flexibly and smoothly, the simple example is when they make a net shot cross court, we can easy compare to beginning players. I call this ability "Flexibility", not sure about the English.
    - Endurance: the ability to run, dive, attack, defense, etc for a long time without exhaustion.

Players in double game is very agile and flexible especially Korean players, they ussually drive with amazing speed while single players is very strong and endurable, some of theme have agile style like LCW, max speed, you can compare to Lin Dan.

I want to know your thinking about this, and I really like to play in double and want to improve my agility to push or drive the shuttle fastly, you guys please suggest me any exercise to achieve this. THank you.

#1 Justin91, Aug 19, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
  2. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    I think the word you are looking for is 'skill'.

3. Justin91

Justin91 New Member

I'm not sure. I the ability to hold and relax the racket at righ moment. Beginner always hold it to tight at all time.

4. Justin91

Justin91 New Member

5. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    And as a beginner practices, they gain more skill. I think skill is the right word for it.

6. Justin91

Justin91 New Member

Yeah!

7. Jooji

Jooji New Member

Hi Justin,

I am a beginner at badminton and have only been playing for the last 2/3 months. I am getting some coaching and learning tips from some really good badminton players. My problem in the beginning was that I used to hold the racket too tight which limited my movement.
    Since then I have learnt to hold the racket a bit more loosely. This has improved my overhead shot so much! It is now more powerful and quicker. If you have a look at some YouTube videos they show you the correct grip. This really helped me.

I am blogging about my newbie experiences, training and coaching here: www.badmintonchronicles.com

Might be something helpful in there for you as I detail what my coach teaches me.

8. Justin91

Justin91 New Member

Thank you so much Jooji, for me your blog is very helpful. Just try to train myself more.

Jooji likes this.
  9. Jooji

Jooji New Member

No problem Justin. I'm happy to help! I am trying to train myself as much as possible so that I can reach a high standard. I have coaching every week so will keep updating my blog with what I learn.

10. Justin91

Justin91 New Member

How many days per week do you train with your coach? And does him give you exercise at home??

11. Jooji

Jooji New Member

I have training with a coach for two hours every Tuesday. Yesterday I popped into another group coaching which was with a larger group. I'll be going to this larger group one every fortnight.

My regular coach doesn't give us any exercises to do at home but if I am shown something like flicking my wrist then I tend to practice it at home. :)