TOTAL BWF World Championships 2017 - FINALS

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by samkool, Aug 26, 2017.

1. yamsyams

yamsyams Regular Member

YooYS and KoSH reached finals in 2011 as a pair, then played against each other in the finals in 2014 with LeeYD and ShinBC respectively. Tony Gunawan won in 2001 with Halim Haryanto and in 2005 with Howard Bach.

If including OG as WC-level, Tony Gunawan also won in 2000 with Candra Wijaya. FHF won multiple WCs and OG with Cai Yun and OG with Zhang Nan, who in turn also just won WC with Liu Cheng.

2. udin_udik

udin_udik Regular Member

Thanks for the correction. So he is the first to have WC medal, of any color, with three different partners.

3. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    I wish they photographed both Male and Female singles on the same pic.

4. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

oh no, not u 2 again. So there's no 2015 pic [​IMG]

#1124 vozer here, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    nilesh123 likes this.
  5. Master

Master Regular Member

Yes, Hendra Setiawan won World Championships title with Markis Kido in 2007, then twice with Ahsan (2013 & 2015)

But also it's happened for several times, so far I remembered :

Tony Gunawan won (so, not only entering Final) the World Championships title with 2 different partners.
    • Tony Gunawan/Halim Haryanto [INA] (2001)
    • Tony Gunawan/Howard Bach [USA] (2005) as 13th seeded pair

Ko Sung-hyun won World Championships title with Shin Baek-cheol in 2014, but before that Ko Sung-hyun with Yoo Yeon-seong entering 2011 WC Final and lost to Cai Yun/Fu Haifeng and he got silver.

Lee Yong-dae became World Championships runner-up three times, twice with Jung Jae-sung (2007 & 2009) and once with Yoo Yeon-seong (2014).

So, Yoo Yeon-seong as well got silver with 2 different partners.

#1125 Master, Aug 30, 2017
    Yoji likes this.
  6. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    how did everyone's picks turn out? i went 0 for 5 on my primary picks... http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...onships-draw-and-onwards.172748/#post-2568586

in order of most likely to win:

wd - i picked takamatsu for the win. if not, i don't have any brain cells invested in caring about wd.

md - i picked kamura/sonoda to run past everyone. other than that it's the closet and most unpredictable event without a dominant pair. it would come down to individual match-ups which every pair indeed encountered. i certainly didn't pick sukamuljo/fernaldi. they have speed, talent & flair... but they aren't the brightest when it comes to constructing a point . i didn't expect zhang/liu to make it past 1/4's due to liu chengs lack of court iq, which makes it difficult for zhang nan. turns out liu played great defense throughout the tournament which enabled zhang nan to impose his will on the other pairs.

xd - i picked lu kai/huang yaqiong to win. if not, then zheng siwei/chen qingchen. those 2 teams were storming up to the wc. i didn't pick tontowi/liliyana due to her physical condition. apparently it improved enough each match to make them a stealth threat... as in she's actually healthier than she looks. was that part of the overall strategy? hmmm... combine their big game experience with zsw/cqc's lack of big game experience and, well, you saw what happened. game 3 is the king maker.

ws - i picked pvs for the win. if not, then okuhara. otherwise yamaguchi. why? i felt all 3 were equal in speed & racket skills. pvs had the power edge, okuhara & yamaguchi had a slight fitness edge. going into the final i was looking smart. given the fact okuhara played saina & marin to 3 games coming into the final, and pvs cruised through her 1/4 & semi, i figured pvs had a full gas tank & okuhara was 3/4 full at best. outcome opinion: sindhu's power was neutralized by okuhara's defense, and the fitness edge proved to be wider(!) than i thought. a match for the ages.

ms - i picked srikanth for the win. if not, then axelsen. otherwise chen long. why? srikanth was looking unstoppable in the tournaments coming in, living up to his potential. axelsen's consistency and self-imposed 10 week break gave me pause, but his raw skills and power gave me hope. if neither of them win it means chen long went on a rampage kicking ass and taking names. i had lcw losing in round 3 & lin dan losing in the 1/4's simply due to age. outcome opinion: srikanth wasn't quite ready for the big stage pressure, but i'm sure he is now. axelsen made the right decision to w/draw from all tournaments after his back-to-back 1st round exits from singapore & indonesia ss/p's. whatever he did during his 10 week layoff paid off perfectly. was it rest, more training, psychological exercises or all of the above? when axelsen is in the zone, going 3 games w/ chou tien chen is a warm-up to making chen long look average, capped of by maintaining nerves of steel against a goat, err, the g.o.a.t., to reach the top of the mountain. in january i picked VA to finish the year @ #1. he's 2,728 points from #1 and 4,153 ahead of #3. i'm going to double down on that bet.

closing thoughts:
    1. best wc ever.
    2. take a good re-look @ the ms podium pic... http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...ships-2017-finals.173037/page-55#post-2576995 ... is it just me or does SON WAN HO LOOK LIKE SPOCK?!?!?

#1126 samkool, Aug 30, 2017
    titionthewall, Vijay P. and nilesh123 like this.
  7. Master

Master Regular Member

With love from Kristy Gilmour

swsh, samkool and nilesh123 like this.
  8. nihat_anton

nihat_anton New Member

nozomi-okuhara.jpg