Nanospeed 9900 rip off?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Abu Tanki, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    So I was at a tournament yesterday and one of the guys sat next to me was playing with a racket that looked a lot like a Yonex Nanospeed 9900. I took a look and saw that it was actually an Apacs racket that looked similar. Really similar. Actually pretty much exactly the same. The racket was called the Nano 9900 and had pretty much exactly the same design as the Nanospeed 9900.

My question is, how did a well known brand like Apacs ever get away with making and selling an obvious knockoff of another brand's racket (or the other way around if Apacs made their racket first)?

I've attached a photo I took of the Apacs racket and one of the NS9900.[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk

2. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

Well, if you came to Malaysia you will more rip off design from others companies. Apacs, Fleet, Maxx and many more using High End Design. Apacs Lethal 10 is Victor BS12 Rip Off. Apacs N-Force 3 is VTZF2 Rip off. LOL

3. asadafgs

asadafgs Regular Member

Apacs is known for ripping off popular rackets. It's not like they are trying to sell it as a Yonex racket or anything, and I doubt Yonex has patented their rackets or owns the come scheme as intellectual property. So yes they can get away with it.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

4. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    Hmm I just didn't realise companies could get away with that kind of copying. Thought Yonex would hit them with a copyright claim or something.

5. fiq_axis

fiq_axis Regular Member

I think Yonex doesn't patented up their design

6. Furholden

Furholden Regular Member

Uh no it probably costs them more to sue or carry out a lawsuit against these companies than the actual potential revenue they might recover.

In layman terms: not worth it to sue these companies.

7. Abu Tanki

Abu Tanki Regular Member

Student
    That's probably true. I wouldn't have thought many people would buy an Apacs copy over a high end Yonex. People know the brands too well.

8. badmintony

badmintony Regular Member

I got the impression and was kind of surprised you're not that aware that APACS has been cosmetically copying mostly yonex rackets for sometime now, if not for a long time already. If you look at many of their rackets, they are dead ringer Yonex rackets. I had A finapi 88 before and it looks almost every bit a VT80.

9. Furholden

Furholden Regular Member

My guess is that in countries like Malaysia there are probably more Apacs racket grade owners than Yonex owners.

To be frank, Apacs is phenomenal for the value. Although they will never entirely re-create the feel of a Yonex racket, they come so close that you wouldn't believe they were a fraction of the price.

Cheung and swsh like this.
  10. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Look/design wise they r YY replicas but 'feel' wise do they play similarly? Also their QC is not that good, qualities varies within d same model. Different batches feel different, n wayyy too mny models. So I prefer to stay away from them

11. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Apacs clone rackets feel no where near anything they are trying to copy. They are all basic graphite racquets repainted to look like a Yonex racket. Companies that do this basically produce thousands of rackets in a batch with the same initial specs and then sort and paint them according to their final specs. They are mostly medium balanced and medium flex rackets, which is why they are so popular.

Some things explain Apacs' success:
    • People who buy fake racquets and clones are usually beginners and low intermediate players, so the medium flex rackets benefit them very well. In their mind, their racket is exactly the same as the real deal, but they paid much less for it, so it looks like an incredible deal. Ensues the "Hey man, chek out this racket, it's the same thing as thiss 200$ racket, but costs 50$" word of mouth, which carries the brand pretty far.
    • Coming up with a good racket design is pretty hard. When your whole line up is copied from other brands' success, your whole line up looks great!
    • Their main (non clone) racquets are actually decent and well priced, which helps their credibility in the intermediate+ market.

12. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Which series r their own main racquets? I know of Tantrums, Lethal + Visible Hollow VSH.

13. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    I'm not very up to date with their line up. Back in the days, their popular lines were Slayer, Tantrum, Lethal, Feather Weight

#13 yan.v, Dec 24, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 24, 2017
    sautom88 likes this.
  14. badmintony

I believe the Featherweights, Virtuoso and duals are some of the others I can think of. But with my experience (though limited) on APACS rackets, Tantrum 200 II was the best for me so far.

15. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Anyone cares to add? Some 1 who is more up to date w/ Apacs current rackets

16. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

I tried dry swinging strung Tantrum 200ii but didn't like d 'feel', like the frame is smwhat 'left behind' or not too integral to the shaft

The Duals r not Duora's clones? I am just interested in non-clones Apacs rackets. Thanx anyway..

17. badmintony

Not sure what to make of that frame description on the Tantrum 200II, but to me and some other more advanced guys we simply love how it plays, especially with the right string and tension.

18. badmintony

blend duos I mean:p This range for what i know preceded the introduction of the YY Duora. APACS also have the Ziggler series with some models on this range a favorite with some pros

19. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

I held a new unstrung Ziggler LHI Pro, it was excellent but a bit too heavy for me as now i rarely play singles. Is Z LHI a bit lighter n more suitable for doubles?

For singles I hv Victor Artery Tec99, Tsai Tzu Ying's ol racket

20. badmintony

Frankly i haven't used a Z LHI so i can't tell. Sorry about that. But for what i know it's Lee Hyun's racket, a korean men's singles player.

Sent from my SM-J320F using Tapatalk