Lin Dan ( 林丹 )

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by seawell, Oct 29, 2004.

1. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

I don't know honestly. Some of them were ridiculously short and others were out.

Viktor is tall, but lifts are typically 20 feet high minimum and being 8 inches taller than LD isn't a large amount compared to that.

2. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I did not see the match yet but with LD's conservative style, correct lengths and height on lifts are crucial, that is for sure. He normally excels in this

dave010 likes this.
  3. sonnymak

sonnymak Regular Member

LD and LCW should retire and let the new batch take over.

4. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I get what you're trying to say. My argument is that , if you lift long, you simply give away the point; if you lift short, you invite the attack, usually a powerful steep smash or sharp drop shot; there are no two ways about it, you just have to lift or clear at the right length,ideally plumb on the outer backline every single time, highly improbable, near to it is good enough.

Actually,other than the tall and well-built VA, quite a few others can be as devastating in their baseline jump smashes, even the 'short' LCW, the not-so-tall SWH, CTC similarly, the tall and strong Chen Long definitely, Wang Tzu Wei, H S Prannoy, K Srikanth, J O Jorgensen, Tanongsak, Anders Antonsen, Emil Holst, etc.

So, I strongly feel the thing is for Lin Dan to find good lengths in his lifts and defend the smashes reasonably well which he is capable of when his fitness/stamina is up to it. Also he should avoid lifting too often and predictably, allowing his opponents to anticipate and quickly get behind the shuttle to thunder down the smashes. My 2cents.

dave010 likes this.
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Not too surprising, and as long as LCW is not going away, so too is Lin Dan - they are like inseparable and sort of serve as motivation for each other. I'm curious and very interested to see how these two magnificent maestros continue to defy the ravages of age and for how long. Phenomenal.

Let's look forward to seeing them at Nanjing WC 2018 !

6. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Very true, that's what Lin Dan should be doing instead of lifting long or short.

dave010 likes this.
  7. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

When there is a demand , there is a supply. These two golden oldies are still very much in demand, and it makes full sense to carry on capitalizing on it as much and as long as possible.

Even the not-so-popular Lee Hyun Il is not ready to hang up his racquet for the love of the sport, and he has his followers too. Mind you, he is 36 already.

The Evergreen Peter Grade retired at 35, iirc, while the two great exponents, Lin Dan and LCW, were still on top of their game. I'd have thought most players seeing two huge mountains in front of them would be disheartened to carry on for that long.

At the moment,how many of the younger generation players can really handle the two stalwarts, Lin Dan and LCW ?

#9687 Justin L, Aug 30, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  8. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

Maybe Lin Dan will try to emulate the achievement of Mathew Fogarty who played MD in last week's WC in Glasgow? Mathew Fogarty, I am reliably informed, is 60 (yes, SIXTY) years old, so there is hope for us all

IMG_2522.JPG

...or there again, perhaps not

IMG_2526.JPG

smautf

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No way, simply because he is Lin Dan , and not Fogarty.:):D

I'm sure nobody wants to see Lin Dan and his MD partner, whoever it is, say, even LCW or Chen Long in their old age, picking up shuttles 9 out of 10 times to return to their opponents.

#9689 Justin L, Aug 30, 2017
  10. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Fogarty could play there because he is rich...

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Oh, how did he do that, he still had to qualify for a place at Glasgow ? Just curious.

#9691 Justin L, Aug 30, 2017
  12. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I don't know for sure, but I read on Badzine that he kind of bought his place in the WC. Don't tell me there aren't any better and more qualified (presumably younger, too) players than him... :D

13. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Bought? I'm sure not through BWF, still don't understand how he did it. I'll rather not speculate. Thanks, anyway.

14. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I don't know how reliable Badzine is, though. But let's imagine LD couldn't qualify for the WC next year because of CL, THW and SY, but he gives CBA or whoever (not BWF, of course) money so that they don't play and he could go instead.

15. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

No way, that's not going to happen in CBA, will be such a scandal, amounting to corruption, both CBA and LD will be ruined. President Xi Jinping's anti-corruption campaign vowing to crack down on "tigers and flies" is deep and far-reaching. Don't even think about it. Mischievous and cynical of you to use such a an analogy.

Either Lin Dan qualifies on his own merit or somebody believes he is a better bet and willing to make way for him. Even then I doubt, why would anybody want to do that when Lin Dan is already so decorated and celebrated a player. For Chinese players, it's always nation before self, for the glory of the nation.

#9695 Justin L, Aug 30, 2017
  16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Dude, calm down. I was just giving an example on how it could have happened with Fogarty.

17. yf19-sama

yf19-sama Regular Member

MRWSCF
    Seriously WTF is going wrong with BWF??
    By principles You're not supposed to buy yourself a place in a WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP.
    There are competitions specifically designed for players of his age If he really want to stick with competitive badminton, why nobody complain about this?

That pair is wasting a seat in the draft instead of letting serious contenders have their chances, and get experience.

dave010 and Rob3rt like this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Now that LCW has announced his intention to go to Nanjing 2018 WC, we can be sure to see Lin Dan there too, the more so when it's held in China. Yonex couldn't be happier. So too BWF.

19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Then it is almost probable LCW will not retire and go play OLY20.

20. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Why not??:D If I am that 'whoever' in CBA, money talks loud, and if the right dough is dished up to me, no problem man??? So, LD or some over the hill dude, go play to enjoy yourself, just make sure the dough comes through to me on time and under the table:p