Total BWF World Championships 2017 - Round of 16

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by samkool, Aug 23, 2017.

1. **KZ**

**KZ** Regular Member

Student
    she was 2014 commonwealth games runner-up, 2016 and 2017 european champs runner-up (losing on both occasions to CM), 2017 Malaysia GP Gold runner-up. She always had the talent, just needed proper guidance.

Fan123 likes this.
  2. Suilven

Suilven Regular Member

Yep, the spinning of the racket thing nd the pose before her serve, yuck...

3. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Long like Boe and Petersen's serve. Uh, annoyed me, not too much though.

4. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Boe/Mog confirmed to advance to QF after takin out Inoue/Kaneko 21-12 in the third set.

5. vozer here

vozer here Regular Member

who's he bingjiao coach?

6. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Old lazy Sai back. So much ability (better than Sri growing up) n such a waste.

7. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    You expect me and my earbuds to tolerate THAT cacophony of wolfish shreiks???

8. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    WSX isnt piercing/disturbing on the ears or the eyes.

9. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Lol. Funny. Good one. As good as CL being competition for SUPER Sri.

10. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    He never responds well to scoldings.
    Laughs at coach when that happens acc to friend at PGBA. So he hardly gets scolded now. Impulsive as hell. And total maverick. But I stay heavily invested in BSP as always; since whenever he cuts down complacency; he can recover what he is capable of.

However it seems increasingly likely that Lakshya and not Sai will go to Tokyo alongside Super Sri. If Lakshya plays more than just the Vietnam Open and WJC this year (He said he wont); and tries qualifying for SSs, by 2018 he will be well inside top 20. And unlike everyone else in current MS, he will only leave that domain when injured, ala Gopi/Saina/PVS.

Though surprisingly, even Sri stayed consistently in Top 20 while not injured; despite that horible lean patch where he was getting pasted in the 3rd every week by lower class players like the Indonesian kids or THW. LS would be better. Lets see.

11. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    Please dont. After disposing of Kristy in 2 she will be pasted in 3 by Noise Pollution even if she takes, say a 11-3 lead into the 3rd break.
    Saina is mentally weak.
    Noise dare I say is the strongest mentally in all of sport today and probably strongest player mentally innbadminton history.

How else can you explain a FREAKING SPANIARD, a nation where people hadnt heard of badminton, a nation where SHE hadnt heard of badminton before trying her luck; so consistently dominating players from countries like ours all around Asia where even at the amateur level, its a top recreation sport and every single day you take a walk in the streets, you find people from 8-80 playing the sport???

12. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    I give you the following cases where she gave up.

2008 Beijing vs MKY
    2015 AE vs NP
    2015 Jakarta vs NP

What was common between these?
    All were majors.

Especially THE ALL ENGLAND ONE WAS A COMPLETE CHOKE.

If you want to give an example to a kid who hasnt heard of the word choking; that match is the perfect example.

Its one thing to dominate the normal circuit; beating everyone a dozen times and winning a ton of big titles while beating the best in the way. A whole another thing to do it in the majors.

And unlike LCW, she doesnt even makes the finals of these normally. Thats what she is. Female LCW.

Now I would be happy if she wins and proves me wrong, but I wont go against logic.

13. Fan123

Fan123 Regular Member

Professional
    And me saying Super Sri will school Chen Long is not driven by jingoism as you can read above. Its driven by the same logic. Why else would I have gone against BSP today, one of my personal faves.

14. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

Day 4 review, and now we're down to 4 courts

IMG_2572.JPG

Actually, this is an excellent venue, spacious and comfortable, with good sight lines from all seats. There's a mid-level walkway around the entire perimeter of the arena which helps the feeling of space

IMG_2637.JPG

IMG_2638.JPG

The first upset of the day was in the XD with Tang/Tse putting out Zhang/Li, Li showing some inexperience at times with Zhang unable to compensate. This combination of lefties from Hong Kong works well and is a happy discovery for the team

IMG_2580.JPG

The much discussed fixture between Akane and Chen Yufei began with high expectation

IMG_2602.JPG

but Chen had done her homework well and neutralised Akane's resilience to take the match in two

IMG_2607.JPG

Victor was untroubled by Ng Ka Long, and took the match easily in two

IMG_2575.JPG

IMG_2576.JPG

Joachim Fischer Nielsen took a bad tumble and had to be helped off the court giving a walk over to Lee and Chau of Hong Kong.

IMG_2583.JPG

Woffle and Cheung like this.
  15. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    nice to see gabby adcock finally making more use of a low/short service.

16. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

The match-up between Srikanth and Anders Antonsen was potentially an attractive one, but in the end Srikanth won out in relatively straightforward style. You sense, thought, that Anders will want a chance to respond on a later occasion

IMG_2590.JPG

IMG_2593.JPG

Now who might this be, having a quiet smoke outside the players' entrance to the venue?

IMG_2597.JPG

and in an astounding development on the catering front, the on-site cafe was today offering fresh fruit for customers - an unheard of sight normally at venues such as this

IMG_2598.JPG

Back on court, Sonoda and Kamura overcame Pratama and Karandasuwardi in three

IMG_2600.JPG

IMG_2601.JPG

whilst our Rio Golden Girls eventually overturned compatriots Fukuman and Yonao

IMG_2603.JPG

IMG_2611.JPG

IMG_2614.JPG

#636 Smautf, Aug 24, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    samkool and ant01 like this.
  17. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

Ratchanok took time out from her afternoon walk in the park to collect her pass to the Quarters, her opponent on court, Chen Xiaoxin inexplicably ineffectual on this occasion

IMG_2622.JPG

IMG_2631.JPG

IMG_2636.JPG

However, the story of the day should belong to local favourite, Kirsty Gilmour, who trounced an indifferent He Bingjiao in three. I think many of us can see potential in HB, but it wasn't really on full display today. Kirsty, though, was on song, and quite rightly scored a memorable victory

IMG_2641.JPG

IMG_2643.JPG

IMG_2644.JPG

Finally, Wing Ki Wong had another marathon match, this time against Shi Yuqi, triumphing in three. Shi reached game point in the second, but WKW did not give the game away at all even though he was many points down, and climbed back to lose 21-15. They say that if you 'give the game away' in this type of situation it can have the effect of diluting the mental tension that you need to maintain into the next game. I think WKW proved the point well today.

IMG_2632.JPG

Quarters tomorrow in two sessions at 10.00am and 3.00pm

smautf

Cheung and samkool like this.
  18. Qidong

Qidong Regular Member

Waiting to be out-sourced
    You must be new to badminton. How can you not know the great Zhang Ning who won the 2004 and 2008 Olympic gold medal.

19. nilesh123

nilesh123 Regular Member

student
    Yeah that's true, she has been having trouble against CM, repetitive surgeries and rehabs don't help you, when you are up against a woman of fitness level to envy the CL. And yes she has always been troubled by TTY, it's not like she's new to deception or those fancy shots, look at the H2H's against RI. But when you are struggling with your fitness and footwork, and your opponent denies to let you settle, it's only natural to be in trouble.

Come on everybody chokes once in a while, all of us are humans ,it's human to err. Everybody has there own inner demons that prevail once in a while.
    That has happened to CM as well, look at her match against RI that day, up and leading but to no good. Or against SY that day.
    It's true that only a OG bronze and WC silver is too lil to boast about for such a successful player, but you gotta agree, she's pretty tough nut, mentally as well

20. Metaphysician

Metaphysician Regular Member

Happy Ganesh chaturthi to all.....today qfs and holiday....I cannot stand the tension of qf ...will just follow scores