Why +2lbs On The Cross?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by kwun, Apr 7, 2003.

1. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I've been wondering after going through so much information regarding this topic, my Yonex stringer has a habit of pulling +2 on all tensions & does prestrech unless specifically told not to. His jobs are second to none here but given I restring extremely frequently (every 7-8 days), I had the chance to slowly go from a +2 to requesting +1 and noticed that I enjoyed the feeling of that more. I've never requested him to do a square job given the tension requested is around 32 but after reading Dink's comments about this, should I request a square job at 30? The machine is ES8 Protech and my rackets looked a lot better when comparing unstrung and strung rackets.

2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Every 7 to 8 days? Maybe it's time to buy a machine...

3. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    For just 7.8 GBP being spent for stringing services (if I were to convert it for your sake) per month, I don't think I'd benefit. ;)

Heck I spent more on every packet I have to import from overseas.

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    But it's fun ;)

5. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    This doesn't help the sudden urge I had yesterday to try and look up wise 2086 and gamma machines. MUST RESIST!

6. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Go on.. join us..

I found +2 for hybrids where the cross is thinner is substantially better.

swsh likes this.
  7. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Fyi, plus 2 is just a guide line from yonex from long long time ago and a place far far a way.
    If your stringer uses highend machine like yonex espro, does not matter too much if it is square, +1 or +2 lb or +10%. The shape will stay close to unstrung frame. It is to figure out what is best tension and method and string for you by making small adjustment over period of time to get best result for you.
    For the price of £8.9, I would have someone else do it for me. It is the machine cost and 1hr+ time you spend to string up the racquet. And you get shitty jobs the first few racquets you did.

8. uwewong

uwewong Regular Member

i have a two point eagnes crank machine and i did 29lbs on both mains and crosses, forgot to +2 for the first time.... the racket does look more oval now. but it is still playable... i just dont want to waste my strings so i wanna ask if this would increase strain/pressure on the racket? should i restring it 28x30?

9. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

1 welcome to BCF.
    2 I prob would not go that high tension w eagnus machine because they are not the highest quality stringing machine. Especially on a 2 pt mounting eagnus machine.
    3 if you strung @29x29lb and it is visible oval, I will highly recommend you to check your mounting. The mount is not holding the racquet secure or properly.
    4 again, the +2 lb or +10% on cross is developed more than 25 yr ago when everyone are using 2 pt mount machine. But , if you are not mounting the racquet right or the arms has any inward movement, +2 lb is not going to make a different because your mounting sucks.
    Good luck.

uwewong likes this.
  10. s_mair

s_mair Regular Member

I would stay away from tensions like that on any 2-point machine.

Why? See:
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...-after-stringing.-Help...172889/&share_type=t

11. warmrain

warmrain New Member

Most of the discussion has centred on how much to add on the crosses after stringing the mains.

My interest is in just getting the biggest 'sweet spot' possible on my racquet. For that, I am assuming that the ideal would be to have the same tension on ALL the strings. Given that not all the mains have the same number of cross strings passing over them to increase their 'zig-zag' and increase their tension would it not be better in theory to do this the other way round and REDUCE the tension just on the middle strings when first doing them (rather then doing all the mains the same tension) and when the crosses are all pulled, more of the string bed would be of even vertical - horiz tension.

For example, do the centre 10 (or 12) mains at minus 1lb tension, the rest at whatever the desired 'target' tension is - eg. 24; and then all the crosses at 24lb. Would this in practice be possible to do? (I am not a stringer).

12. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Doesn't work well. You just end up with centre mains that move too much.

13. warmrain

warmrain New Member

Why?
    The crosses when put in should bring the mains up to the target tension.? (ref. Crawshaws' post on calc of increase of tension -- approx 1.3 lb ).

14. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    If anything the centre mains lose tension fastest, as its the spot that's hit the most. Eventually you just get mains that move around a lot if you don't restring fairly often. This would just expedite it.

15. warmrain

warmrain New Member

Yes I understand that. Centre mains being used and stretched/stressed repeatedly more in normal play would apply to any restring. However that is not the question I posed.

My query/comment is directed at the topic of this thread which is why and whether to add more tension in the crosses relative to the mains to achieve a more even tension between them and I am pointing out that not all mains have the same number of crosses weaving through them to inadvertently increase their tension.

My question is therefore directed to stringers to ask them if it is physically feasible to tension the middle 10 (or 12) mains to a different initial (lower) tension than the outer mains (before doing the crosses) -- assuming that the normal sequence is to do the mains first and then the crosses. Then when the crosses are pulled (all to the same tension) the middle 10 mains will be pulled up in tension more in proportion to the outer mains (rather than being 'overtensioned' proportionately to the outer mains if done with a simple 23x24 or 24x25 applied to all strings. .

I am not so interested in possible small changes to the shape of the racquet as achieving a more even tension across the string bed (vertically & horizontally) at the end of a restring job.

Thanks.

16. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Are you talking about just straight up proportional stringing like:
    https://www.tennisexpress.com/info/proportional-stringing-can-you-benefit

Because I'm absolutely not a fan. It's a lot of hassle for no payoff.

j4ckie likes this.
  17. warmrain

warmrain New Member

18. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I mean I'm a stringer, but I really have no idea what you're asking for here.

Should you do the centre mains at a lower tension to the outer mains? No, not really.
    Should you reduce main tension instead of raising cross tension? Still no.

19. warmrain

warmrain New Member

OK.
    Read post #1 on page 1, post #330, post #471 and #475.
    I am afraid I can't explain anymore if it is still not clear. Sorry.

20. khalvin

khalvin Regular Member

Student
    Would you say stringing +2lbs higher on the mains of a hybrid string like BGAB would make it have a harder feel, holds tension better or larger sweetspot? Curious by what you meant by "better"