Lee Yong Dae ( 이용대 / 李龍大 ) / Yoo Yeon Seong ( 유연성 / 杻延星)

Discussion in 'Korea Professional Players' started by event, Sep 12, 2013.

1. leejunlong999

leejunlong999 Regular Member

student
    well if they were to be interest to play for a countrt, why would they not play for their own? hmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. leejunlong999

student
    well if they were to be interested to play for a country why would they not play for their own??

3. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    What I was trying to say was if they are not allowed to play for their country (prohibited by BKA) then they "could" play for another country like Tony Gunawan for example. But we all know that would never happen.

4. leejunlong999

student
    tony gunawan went there to study didnt he? Its not that BKA does not allow them to play , but they have to be under BKA to do so until they reach the age they are allowed to be independent.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

People's Republic of China would want to hire the service of freakishly talented Lee Yong Dae.

6. leejunlong999

student
    why would they not hire cai yun?

7. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    I can see why BKA don't want their very best, which LYD, YYS, KSH and SBC still are, competing independently. What would that say about their own training and quality if the best performing Korean player aren't even a result of the national team anymore.

Nine Tailed Fox likes this.
  8. Nine Tailed Fox

Too slow. Not in shape for 4 years now. Not as disciplined and defensively sound as Lee Yong Dae.

9. leejunlong999

student
    ahhh , i infered wrongly , i thought he meant as a coach

10. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Mathias Boe and Cai Yun were supposed to form a partnership whilst Carsten was dealing with his brain injury. But I think the Chinese national team broke that one up before it started.

11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I dont think you can really assume CY was any less disciplined. He's just way older and thus at a very different point in his life and career.

12. Nine Tailed Fox

You are right. Cai Yun's motivation meter died after London Olympics and rightly so. But I still think Lee Yong Dae has 3-4 years left as a solid Top 5.

Maybe the doubles players don't rate their longevity too high.

13. leejunlong999

student
    well i think he may last till the olympics and his prime is gonna drop greatly

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yeah, but wasn't he 33 or so in London? He continued playing in that typical Chinese 'teach younger players' kind of partnership for about a year I think, and didn't he play in the 2014 Thomas Cup as well? But Chinese training was pretty hard on the body when he and THE were young, so they probably have 2-3 years less than LYS I guess

15. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    the major reason is money, naturally. bka paid for everything that got you where you are today, so if you're not going to play for bka, they're certainly not going to let you play against them. this is fair. at least their age rule is a concession that some of the other major federations do not allow. if you're old, they likely don't want you anyway as you are no longer a profitable investment.

this is not fair: under current bwf rules a nat'l association "controls" your playing rights for life in any bwf sanctioned tournament as long as you are a citizen of said country, even if you are "retired"... this is not to be confused with "owning your playing rights": bwf does not care if a player enters any non-bwf tournament, but the player's nat'l association may still care. that is a separate issue. ie: lyd/yys still need permission from bka to play in any bwf event for as long as they are citizens of south korea, but not any non-bwf event like the commonwealth games. basically athletes are caught in between bwf & its member associations. bwf has stripped the athletes of a freedom of choice.

the only way out is to change residency and/or citizenship. but then you will need the signature from your new country's badminton association.

in the ibf, int'l badminton federation, days (remember them?) there was a 6 month rule. to reference: tony gunawan moved to the usa in 2002. in order to make the switch from pbsi to usab all he had to do was not represent pbsi for 6 months. easy, right? eventually (i can't remember when) the rule was changed to 2 years. now it is in perpetuity (i don't know when that change was made either).

the olympics require athletes to be a naturalized citizen of the country they represent. a permanent resident visa, working visa, etc. are not enough.

#675 samkool, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    nizze likes this.
  16. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    bwf wise, yes, if released by bka. olympic wise, not unless they become citizens.

gunawan moved to the usa in 2002. however, he could not play in the athens 2004 or beijing 2008 olympics for usa because he was not yet a citizen.

#676 samkool, Jul 28, 2017
  17. hieucdub

hieucdub Regular Member

If I remember correcly Gunawan won the 2005 WC representing the US?

18. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    correct.

19. event

event Regular Member

You can see from the photo here that Yoo Yeon Seong just happens to be playing for a pro team that is sponsored by Yonex but he also seems to have some kind of an individual sponsorship deal, too. The over-31 rule that became public with the news of Ko Sung Hyun's legal action means that Yoo will be eligible to pay his own way and be entered in international events by the BKA by the end of next month, when he turns 31. Who knows where he'd go for a partner?

blabl likes this.
  20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    he only needs to wait 10 more months, until may 21, to reach 31. i suppose the korean courts, or bka, can file multiple continuances (stall the proceedings) until then instead of wasting resources and possibly interfering with bka's by-laws. on the other hand will the other younger retired players keep the issue alive?

what we outsiders don't know is what a player's contract/agreement between player and bka entails. unfortunately, i would surmise bka is well within their rights to restrict the player, because a player is in agreement with all of bka's by-laws when joining bka.

i'm not familiar with the korean court system so i'm curious how long it would take for a case like this to make its way into a court with the authority to make bka change its by-laws.

http://develfitness.com/tag/badminton-korea-association/
    (i find it hilarious ko sung hyun tried to leverage the monetary fine in exchange for independence. it's going to cost bka a few bucks to save face, bwahahahaha!)
    http://www.yonex.com/company/news/b...-seong-signs-head-to-toe-contract-with-yonex/

#680 samkool, Jul 28, 2017
    jma97 likes this.