Video - smash advice please. Even on my racket lol

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Proximity, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Proximity

Proximity New Member

Australian Government

Hi my name is tommy.
    I am from australia

Story: last played 7 years ago
    During the ages of 13-16 i played in interschool state comps. Runner up first year winner 2nd year, 3rd year runner up. Broke leg never played or did any sports until this year. 50-58kg to 92kg now. I think im below 90kg around now.
    Played cricket as a bowler, so most my power/strengh came from my shoulder which i used for badminton smash.

Now im looking to play badminton again and this time using technique and right play.
    In this video i try my best haha

Racket is
    Voltric z force II yellow/gold lin dan edition head heavy
    Using BG66 ultimax in this video but now i use aerosonic strings
    23lbs tension

Any help and advice will be great!

#1 Proximity, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. Proximity

Proximity New Member

Australian Government
    Video wont upload

3. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I think your jump is awkward, I see it isn't synchronized with your other body movement, the timing is too soon

Proximity likes this.
  4. Proximity

Proximity New Member

Australian Government
    Yeah i think i kick/scissor too late.

Like im hanging in the air waiting for the shuttle

5. jole73

jole73 Regular Member

No need to jump if you don't gain height. ;)

Proximity likes this.
  6. Proximity

Proximity New Member

Australian Government
    Worst habit to have i guess :(

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Lots of good things: grip is reasonable, technique is a good starting point etc. What you currently need to learn is how to take the shuttle:
    1. higher
    2. in front of you
    Your contact is currently very low (as others mentioned regarding your "jump"), but it applies to your whole body - you want your strike to feel like you have extended every aspect of your body. The shuttle is also not far enough in front of your body - its really easy to tell because your whole body is leaning to the left as you hit and after you hit the shuttle.

Whilst these two things are really simple to say, they are not easy to do as well as possible without a coach or good spotter, only because when you think you are behind the shuttle as far as you need to be, or reaching as high as you can, you are probably still going to have plenty of room for improvement - your current contact point is a habit. I would suggest you really strive for something completely different - get the contact point at least 1 metre higher and further in front. When trying to do this, you will begin to feel what a proper smash feels like. When you think you have improved, try AGAIN to get it even higher and even further in front - you want to be reaching out in front of you at least 1 or 2 metres to play this shot.

I highly recommend you don't jump for shuttle (for at least a few good dedicated months of practice) - your feet may come off the floor as a result of you reaching forwards and upwards so much, and needing to keep your balance, but don't try to jump - just try to reach the shuttle higher! Really - jumping will just confuse your contact point so much. Learn it on the floor, and you will easily hit a great jump smash. But trying to jump whilst learning will just slow down your progress for all shots.

When you want more feedback, please upload another video :)

Good luck!

visor and Proximity like this.
  8. Proximity

Proximity New Member

Australian Government
    I have felt that extension before, but it was like my arm is stretched out, my body was straight like im reaching for something. It was during a game, wheremy opponent was quick on his movement so i had to rush everything and hit the shuttle early.

I felt i hit weaker but he couldnt return in, (i assume i hit it good) since then i couldnt do it again, well try. I wil get my wife to upload another video but a better one next time if i see improvement.

Thank you so much for this reply! The "extension" part really got to me, very helpful and easy understanding!

9. Proximity

Proximity New Member

Australian Government

Side view guys! Look at that beer belly :(

10. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I personally don't think the contact point is too bad in terms of height, you could probably raise it a touch more, but it's not that far off, certainly not 1m off - especially if you're not looking to play a jump smash. I'd say ideally you want to position yourself slightly further behind the shuttle though.

But there are a couple of areas to work on.

1. Legs - as others have mentioned, your leg movements aren't contributing to your smash in a beneficial way at all. The kick you are doing is probably hindering you. I would suggest you stick with a "standing smash". I think you will get more power and accuracy without jumping and only once you have mastered that should you consider learning the jump smash. You hip rotation seems to follow your shoulder movements too

2. Arms - you are not opening your chest enough during the preparation stage - specifically your racquet arm is not pulled back far enough. Your left arm also seems a little loose. Almost as if it is just paying lip service to the action. Also, your technique is largely one continuous motion from start to finish - which is often an easier way to generate power if you lack the strength or have enough time. But it does limit your maximum power particularly in compromised situations. Women players use this technique more so as they are generally weaker physically but now even some women can adopt a more explosive style and can thereby introduce some deception too. I would try and prepare your upper body slightly earlier, with your racquet up and hold that position more steadily, momentarily just before you start your swing. You will need to develop a more explosive motion but it will help with you balance and therefore accuracy, better deception and also with a more explosive technique you should be able to generate better power, more of the time.

3. Hips - Notice that your hips are following your shoulders throughout the motion. This again robs you of power.

Hope this helps! :)

Proximity likes this.
  11. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    We all have to start from somewhere. :)

To be honest, it doesn't look that bad! Yes, it does look a bit awkward. Rather than gong for power, try getting a consistent contact point and technique. If you are using a feather shuttle, there will be a nice click sound on the strings on impact.

Proximity likes this.
  12. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    I
    Are you in Sydney? That looks like victor badminton centre in silverwater

I think you have some basics, but your body coordination is a bit off.

At first its ok when you move your upper body, but when you move your legs, there seems to be a miss then a pause

which makes you miss the timing, compensate with awkward movement.

It feels your movement isn't smooth.

I see your rear leg(right) seems a bit too forward and upright just when you want to jump and scissor kick

, it can't balance your body so I feel you are being a bit wobbly and falling behind a bit

Proximity likes this.
  13. Proximity

Proximity New Member

Australian Government
    Yes i am in sydney, yeah victor centre silverwater.

First session back since 7 years ago haha struggling so bad

14. visor

visor Regular Member

#14 visor, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  15. visor

visor Regular Member

#15 visor, Jul 27, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
  16. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I never said he was one metre off. I said that to improve, he should attempt to take it one meter higher. I do not expect him to achieve it, but the process of trying will result in drastic improvement. The difference between "not quite there" and the correct contact point is a huge difference in power, footwork, efficiency... But if you try to take it "a bit" higher, because your "not that far off" - you will probably never experience anything different because you're not challenging yourself.

I hope people understand this point: coaching cues are not "facts" - I did not say it "must" be one metre higher. And please don't forget that you should be getting the shuttle much much further in front of you - its not just height, its getting that full reach forwards.

Whilst there will come a point that you physically can't get the shuttle any earlier, but most players NEVER experience this, unless they reach an extremely high level of competitive play, supported by thousands of hours of practice.

17. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    Well I think it was because you had said "get the contact point at least 1 metre higher and further in front." that I didn't quite agree with. Perhaps I had misinterpreted your words but if I misinterpreted it, so too could the OP.

His technique isn't too bad, nor is the contact point in my opinion. It just needs refining. Obviously it is difficult to gauge and quantify exactly how far off he is just by watching a video clip but 1m seemed excessive given that his arm didn't actually seem too bent or low on impact. Yes, getting the correct impact point is important but over reaching either upwards or in front is counter-productive and could lead to injury - which is something I have had first hand experience of.

We should never over reach or over extend ourselves in any shot especially on the overheads. So I did not want him to interpret your advice as needing to reach significantly higher, i.e. 1m above, or 1-2m in front as I suspect in doing so, he may well end up injuring himself unnecessarily.

18. Proximity

Proximity New Member

Australian Government
    Ive i jree myself more doing what im doing now haha or maybe havent played a long time and the shoulders and wrist is feeling it and cracking haha.

I do realise i hit to straight up, and if i do jump im
    Jumping straight, theres no momentum going foward and thats why i rely on shoulder power more, these clips werent me trying to hit hard, just seeing if i can try "hit" the proper way, seems like i cant still bahaha. See what happens next week video or a month from now.

That being said.

Thank you for all advice fams.
    Keep them coming.

19. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I understand the caution: my instructions could have been clearer. But at the same time, getting the shuttle a metre further in front (i.e. horizontal axis when viewed side on) is exactly what he needs, and getting it higher will help too (I think he can realistically get it half a metre higher with a standing smash). Yes, I want him to reach higher as much as possible. He does need to reach significantly higher, even though the actual contact point height won't be that noticeable vertically.

I completely agree with you: the technique is not bad, the contact point is "ok". But the contact point is causing almost all the problems I am seeing in that video (weird scissor kick, balance off to the left, low contact, poor power, poor angle, etc) He still needs to make significant change in order to improve, but that change can be very quick, and is just a refinement, if done correctly. Reaching higher isn't necessarily about the arm, but about the scapula, the spine, the flexion in the torso etc etc. It is a distinctive feeling achieved by reaching further for the shuttle.

Everyone here can judge for themselves: how many times have you told someone (or yourself) to reach higher (or some other instruction) and seen them actually reach the full height that they should be reaching? Reaching higher often gains an inch or two, but can lead to other problems with technique. On the other hand, setting people "unrealistic" goals (such as using a 1 metre prompt) often makes them challenge their own limits and thus experience the correct technique!

Anyway, enough about that. Good luck OP!