Offseason exercises at home to get better/not fall further behind

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by AreYouEvenMad, Jul 22, 2017.

1. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

Unfortunately I wasn't able to visit training very often recently (personal problems, did my Abitur etc.). Yesterday I was finally able to play again, but naturally my performance wasn't really good. Now summer holidays have started here in germany, so our coach will be on vacation for the next 2 weeks (we can still play but it's more like "play 1-2 relaxed matches and then hang around" and not really serious) and after that the gym is closed, meaning that I'll have another 5 week break until actual training starts again.

For almost the whole last season I'm not really happy with my performance and I'm a bit afraid that I'll fall even further behind due to the long break, so I want to do something in the "offseason" to get better. Can anyone recommend some badminton-related exercises that I can do at home (besides overall fitness training and lots and lots of dry swings^^). Particular areas I want to improve are my overhead hitting motion and my footwork/speed on court.

Thanks in advane :)

2. Daniel2207

Daniel2207 Regular Member

Something I do daily is racket swing but with either a squash racket or heavy badminton racket. You can also do shuttle drills such as practice your footwork but focus on picking up a shuttle and moving it to another corner I will try to link the video I watched ;)

3. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

Very helpful video, thanks :) Now I just need to find a place,where I have enough space to do all this :D

But I have one question: Whats the benefit of doing dry swings with a heavy racket? Wouldnt it make more sense to use your normal racket in order to adjust your swing motion/timing to the speed of your racket?

4. Daniel2207

Daniel2207 Regular Member

A heavy racket increase overall strength which in turns improve your ability to play shot by controlling the racket better plus it feels great to pick up a normal racket after using heavy one it feels so light ;)

5. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Agility ladder exercises and skipping

6. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    Gyro powerball to strengthen your arm

this can be done by watching TV and reading

7. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    Organize to play in a center with some from your club mates. We did this the past years and it worked fine. When everybody pays, nobody will hang around or do lousy stuff.

I don't recommend to do drills and shadow footwork and jumps on concrete or stone plates floors like in the video. Much more impact on your joints compared to decent gym floor and it could be slippy. If you get injured because of that, you don't gain anything. Especially at fast pace with changing directions. Some kind of mat is helpful. I use a puzzle mat with applied PVC floor in a garage. You can get smaller PVC pieced at a DIY market. It also reduce combined with the puzzle mat the noise if you need to use it in your living room. If you don't have money for that some "Spielplätze" have a red/bordeaux floors. It's cushioned for e.g. Basketball or general play around of the kids to avoid fractures if the fall down. If you clean them, they are also decent for drills outside.

In general everything which helps to built up your fitness and stay in shape is useful. Crunches, side crunches, leg raise variations and russian twist are also easy to do at home and will be beneficial for badminton. You can also add @paulstewart64 's armchair exercises.

And doing a different kind of sports or just resting a bit before the season starts is also good thing. Much don't always help much.

8. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    [QUOTE="ucantseeme, post: 2566938, member: 59291" When everybody pays, nobody will hang around or do lousy stuff.

[/QUOTE]

Make sure everybody pays upfront, There are some experiences of only a little or just one coming and have to pay all the fees