Slightly more forgiving Yonex Duora Z-Strike?

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Dave_Mc, May 31, 2017.

1. Dave_Mc

Dave_Mc Regular Member

Hello,

I was hoping you could give me some advice regarding badminton rackets. I recently bought a Yonex Duora Z-Strike for my sister for her birthday (for the completely selfless reason that if she liked it, great, but if she didn’t, I would take it :D). She pretty much likes it; however she thinks she would prefer something which is a little more forgiving.

Based on what I’ve read online, I would guess that this means:

- A bit less stiff of a shaft- the Z-Strike is extra stiff

- A slightly larger head (the head is actually a similar size to our older Carlton rackets when you hold them next to each other, but it feels smaller for some reason- the isometric thing, maybe?)

- Maybe a slightly longer racket overall- assuming that’s possible

- A little more power for smashes- but not so much that you’re getting into those “smash-only” type rackets

- Slightly lower string tension- current racket is strung at 24lbs (which I naively thought was bet-hedging territory, having read more online I don’t think that’s the case!), I was thinking ~21-22lbs perhaps?

- I think the weight and balance are more or less fine.

As I said, we do pretty much like the racket, so I think we’d ideally want something which is broadly similar rather than totally different, just a little easier to use. Any suggestions or advice you can give me would be much appreciated.

As a related question, do you have any tips on strings? The Z-Strike is currently strung with Nanogy 99s, which I basically picked (again, probably naively) because it seemed to be an all-round string according to the Yonex brochure. Again, we like it but we haven’t compared it to anything else.

Thanks very much in advance for your help.

Dave.

2. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    the Z series of yonex are of the compact isometric format for the head of the racquet, resulting in a smaller sweetspot.
    this usually takes a while to get used to if you have not experienced it, and some never do get used to it.

the cheapest option is to try lowering the string tension and see if that improves her feel for the racquet, or get several hours into the string and see if it settles to a comfortable level.

nbg 99 is a fine string.

if you enjoy that type of overall weight and balance, consider testing a duora10 from yonex which should play a little more forgiving with a normal isometric head and less shaft stiffness.

http://www.yonex.com/_assets/images/cache/autoxauto/10594.jpg
    [​IMG]

Dave_Mc likes this.
  3. Dave_Mc

Dave_Mc Regular Member

We're both getting more used to it- it's got to the point that whoever uses it wins (with the other person using the older Carlton rackets) and that both of us prefer it to our old rackets. The shuttle also seems to come back a lot faster when it's been hit by the Z-Strike, too.

We do pretty much need another racket anyway, both of our old rackets are from the mid to late 90s, lol, we didn't play for several years but have taken it up again.

The Duora 10 was one I had considered, but I didn't want to mention it in case that biased responses- also I wasn't sure it would be any easier to use since it says in the Yonex brochure "Advanced model for hard-hitters." But maybe that's just the marketing, so if it is a bit easier, then I'll definitely consider it. Knowing it's from the same range etc. would hopefully mean that we'd like it, too.

4. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    your older carltons may benefit from a restring if you feel the shuttle is being more floaty, or perhaps they are too flexible in the shaft.

some caution: many of the models that yonex advertises as "intermediate" (such as vt70, vtfb, duo7) are popular on the pro circuit.
    so really it's just about whatever you feel comfortable with, and i wouldn't get caught up in perceived racquet prestige.

5. Dave_Mc

Dave_Mc Regular Member

Oh yeah they'd definitely need a restring, but mine at least is totally chipped and I'm not sure it's worth a restring, especially if I'm thinking of getting a new one anyway- I'm not playing terribly seriously, I'd only keep the old racket around as a spare in case I broke a string (and IIRC that was a fairly rare occurrence back when I used to play).

And thanks for that info, that's useful to know. I'm well away from the pro circuit, lol.

6. Zen Zi

Zen Zi Regular Member

#6 Zen Zi, Jun 1, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2017
    Dave_Mc likes this.
  7. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    I don't think DZS is that unforgiving that someone can't adjust to it. Most issues I've come across are with incompatible string and while most will disagree I think DZS doesn't perform it's best with thick strings that lack repulsion.

I personally love mine when it's done with a .65 string. Would highly suggest Li Ning No.1 from personal experience with an increase in tension. It might seem weird but just try atleast 26/27 lbs. 24 is too low and the stringbed feels horrendous. It doesn't give you power by itself and you have to take it from it so a thinner / really repulsive string helps. Would highly recommend nangoy 98 as well. I think all you need is a fresh stringjob ;)

Dave_Mc likes this.
  8. Dave_Mc

Dave_Mc Regular Member

Thanks very much for the replies :) I've got a question I'd like to ask first, and then I'll get on to answering the replies.

The Duora 10 is available in Lee Chong Wei Limited Editions- are they the exact same racket as the regular version except in different colours (and with a different case)? It'd be nice to have a colour choice, but obviously only if the racket is genuinely identical apart from the colour.

Thanks very much for the reply. I was also actually considering the Lin Dan Force, based on this review (http://badminton-coach.co.uk/8077/yonex-voltric-lin-dan-force-badminton-racket-review/), however, I had discounted it because reading down into the comments it seemed like this year's version had different, less-forgiving specs. However, I just noticed a few days ago (I was actually going to post today about it, believe it or not, but you beat me to it :D ) that the shop I'd most likely buy from seemed to have got some more of the 2016 model into stock (http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/...in-dan-force-badminton-racket?ProductID=26366 ) so it would seem to be an option again- as long as it actually is the 2016 version (it is, right?).

Also I was wondering, is it too much of a smasher-only racket? Reading that review it doesn't seem to be, but that's just one person's opinion (and he seems to like rackets like that).

The Arcsaber 11 was actually one I was considering too at the start, before I bought the Z-strike. It's fairly similar to the Z-strike apart from being a bit less head-heavy and a slightly bigger head, right? Also, why would you pick it over the Duora 10 (as it's also a bit less head-heavy than the Z-Strike, I think)?

Again, thanks very much for the reply. I agree with you- we definitely are getting used to it. I'm more or less happy with it as it is, and if my sister gets another racket I'd be totally happy to keep the ZS myself. :D As I said, though, we do eventually need 2 rackets... I know it's maybe silly, but buying the same racket twice feels a little boring (though we have strongly considered it as the safer option), especially when other rackets exist which (on paper, anyway) seem to fit everything she wants (the Duora 10 possibly, and maybe even the LDF and Arcsaber 11). When we need another racket anyway, is it wise to perservere with the current racket when another one might suit her better? Of course, the reverse could be true as the new racket is an unknown quantity and she might well like it less! :D

How does the Nanogy 98 differ from the 99? I definitely do like the way that the way it's currently strung, the shuttle seems to go where I want it (that's the way it feels, I'm not saying every shot goes exactly where it's meant to! :D ). But whether that's the racket or the string, or both, I don't know. Also, it already feels like I just set the racket there and the shuttle bounces off it crazy fast compared to what I was used to with my old racket (I assume that's what repulsion is? I'm not that well up on the technical terms) so I'm not sure I'd want any more of that until I get a bit more used to it at least.

And 26/27 lbs sounds very taut, at least reading the opinions of Paul Stewart on his website (but obviously that's just his opinion).

9. Ferrerkiko

Ferrerkiko Regular Member

audit assistant
    Duora z strike so far not many players use it .

Recent update:

1) Axelsen
    2) Marin
    3) Chou Tien Chen
    4) Lin Dan
    5) Momota

#9 Ferrerkiko, Jun 2, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    Dave_Mc likes this.
  10. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

- Duora Z Strike is tough for a woman
    - 27lbs is for woman-pro-players... 24lbs is much!
    - Duora Z Strike is better for single play
    -> A good racket for a men with good skills.

I would look:
    - medium or stiff NOT extra stiff
    - U4
    - 20-22lbs

Best to try some rackets...
    Duora77 / 7
    Nanoray750
    Voltric GlanZ
    Voltric 7

11. Dave_Mc

Dave_Mc Regular Member

^ Thanks for the reply. We'd pretty much figured that so far about the specs- less stiff, lower tension on the strings. Though I think the weight is fine, it's lighter than her old racket, but I think the Duora 10 (90g), LDF and Arcsaber 11 (both 91g) are marginally lighter than the Z-Strike (92g) if the Direct Sports weighting is to be believed.

How do you try rackets? I could be wrong, but most of these rackets seem to come unstrung- if I went to a shop, would I only get to waft them about in the air without strings on them?

How do those rackets you suggested differ from the ones already listed?

12. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

In Germany, there are 4 online shops where I can order test racquets. 5€ per racket and i get the money back when I order a new racket there...

Test from teammates are another option.

13. Dave_Mc

Dave_Mc Regular Member

I don't think that's an option here, unfortunately. I didn't notice it mentioned as an option in any of the online shops here.

Also I don't have any teammates, lol.

14. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    NBG 98 is a repulsion only string. I think it's one of the most repulsive string in the market but is very slippery so net shots aren't that tight. The main pro of it to me is the insane durability however. Mine lasted me more than a month above 30lbs and didn't snap. I think I cut it off because I was bored.

The whole this tension is for pro players thing is really just personal. I find the most enjoyment from my racket at 30lbs when most would consider anything above 26 a big sin here. With a string that has oodles of power you don't need to string that low. I'd still hold firm at trying 26lbs before knocking it off. Feels more like a trampoline than a racket. Besides, the tension drop will take care of it in few days most if you don't like it for example.

I'd suggest going with 4U LDF in the end instead of duora 10. Loads of girls here use it and love it for it's ease of use. 4U ZF2 or Z strike tho tires them out rather quickly.

Dave_Mc likes this.
  15. Dave_Mc

Dave_Mc Regular Member

I'm not sure I only want repulsion from the string, and your saying net shots aren't that tight makes me think I'd probably prefer the current strings.

Yep I know what you mean by the personal preference thing regarding the tension. It's very annoying to be told there's a right way to do things when you know you prefer it differently. That being said, she thinks the current 24lbs (probably a bit less now since it's been used several times) is too tight, so I'm not sure going higher is a good idea? And I sort of LOLed when I saw that I had two replies regarding tension- one suggesting I go higher, and one suggesting I go lower. There's that personal preference thing again, I guess. :D

I don't think I can get the 3U LDF here, the one I linked to is 4U. Would you say it's still a little easier than the Duora 10?

16. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    It is which is why I recommended the 4u LDF. While 3u can be great for men I don't see the reason for forcing it upon women who might prefer something lighter which is why I recommended it.

The girl that recently bought a z strike (she was looking for it for awhile but I went to Sadar Market and bought it few days before her LOL) also owns a LDF in 4u and loves it to death. It's her go to racket and now the racket she can depend upon whenever the z strike tires her out. I think it'll suit your sister perfectly since there's nothing really similar to it.

Given how she thinks 24 is too tight it's no wonder she wouldn't be thrilled to have to use an extra stiff racket that isn't really head heavy. I mean it is but obviously not like zf2 so it's harder to bend sometimes. LDF would be a great substitute since even at 4u it can generate really good power due to its head heaviness and still offer a solid hitting feel. I was originally recommending a more repulsive string because of the reason you mentioned. I myself don't feel good playing 4-5 hours with a not so repulsive string because it tires you out to oblivion so a more repulsive string on her newer racket whatever it be would fair well and help her out with driving / smashing / lifting. DZS at times feels much stiffer than a ZF2 because of the lack of head weight.

Another racket I'd like you look at despite it's cheaper price is Voltric Force. It costs 1/3rd of what LDF does but is basically a more flexible 4u ZF2. I used to own one and it was a fantastic racket. Well I still do but it has a massive crack in the frame on two sides thanks to the absurd tensions I was pulling on it which obviously wouldn't be the case with you. It's a great racket which could save you a bunch of money if you so wished.

17. Dave_Mc

Dave_Mc Regular Member

Sorry, I got my wires crossed there- it's the 4U version of the LDF we can't get here, the one I linked to is 3U (the heavier one). :oops:

(I don't see why they can't just list the weight in grams, lol, that'd be way handier than having to remember some arcane weighing system which is actually backwards compared to the weights it describes. :D )

We'd not be playing for 4-5 hours at the same time, about an hour at a time (with a rest for several days, if not a week) is about what we're currently playing.

Considering that, is there any reason for the LDF over the Duora 10 when they're both more or less the same weight (in fact the Duora 10 is 1g lighter)? My feeling with the Duora 10 is that, on paper at least, it seems to be exactly what she wants considering she knows she already more or less likes the Duora concept, but it seems to be just a bit more forgiving all round than the Z-Strike version (without being massively different). As I said, though, that's on paper since I haven't tried it. (I know this sounds like I've made my mind up about the Duora 10; I haven't, I'm more or less 50:50 between it and the LDF (3U).)

I'd seen the Voltric Force recommended in other threads I think. I guess I'd just be a bit concerned that it's not as good as the Japanese ones (I appreciate that that might be silly). At £84 it's actually almost 60% of the cost of the LDF (£148) here (and bang on 60% of the cost of the non-LCW version of the Duora 10 (£140)) so it's not actually that much of a saving, especially since budget isn't really that much of a concern- and especially since you have to pay £9 with it for a restring (restrings are free with the dearer Japanese ones), so it's actually more like 65% (actually a little more with the Duora 10) of the cost of the LDF or Duora 10. So while not nothing, it's not a massive saving, either.

Again, sorry for getting mixed up above. :oops: And thanks for all your help so far.

EDIT: Huh, that's funny. The Voltric Force you suggested is supposedly a 4U racket- yet on the Direct Sports site where they weigh the rackets themselves, they say it's 90g, which is the same weight as the Duora 10 which is supposedly 3U. Unless they made a mistake with their weighing, or it's a typo on the website, I guess. Any thoughts on that?

Links: http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/...oltric-force-badminton-racket?ProductID=21163

http://www.directsportseshop.co.uk/product?ProductID=23386&FromSearchPage=Yes#TabContainer_Anchor

(The weight's at the very bottom of the information.)

#17 Dave_Mc, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
  18. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
  19. Dave_Mc

Dave_Mc Regular Member

I don't understand what you mean. :oops:

20. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    You can order from there I meant. And even if you don't wish to, there are so many better alternatives compared to duora 10. After using it very recently I'd say it's a major letdown compared to my DZS and that was when my racket had vs890 with low repulsion and the d10 had 66UM.

Talked someone out of getting it recently and the coach as well suggested Arc11 instead of that. I'd still go with a 3u LDF compared to a 3U D10 since D10 felt relatively stiff and wouldn't really help.

#20 swsh, Jun 3, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2017
    Dave_Mc likes this.