Racket Recommendation Please

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by philipyh, Apr 29, 2017.

1. philipyh

philipyh New Member

Have been using the ZFII 4ug5 for a year now with bg80p @28lbs and im having problems with the racket so I would like to try something new. Good racket, just not so good player.

I play doubles and my service has become so bad its laughable ( always too high and get raped immediately; always short) Im unable to have a consistent service and I never had this problem in the past. I find it difficult to do slice drops which I had no problem doing and in general I feel like its harder to control the shuttle( flat drives, cross nets). My shoulder tends to hurt especially after games but I gotta say that the smashes are stronger with this racket. Horrible Tradeoff but I thought of giving it a try since it has godly reviews but turns out not for me.

Could someone recommend me a racket thats less stiff and more flex (i think stiffness & flex affects the shoulder?) so I don't lose my arm. Im more of the front guy as I would like to think that im pretty ok at the net. I also like to smash so I tend to tie the racket on the higher end of the tension spectrum. I would shamelessly label myself as a noob advance. Also string wise anyone knows the difference between 80 & 80p ??

currently conidering ; arc11, js10

Willing to spend my life savings, just want to get a suitable racket for my game. Thanks in advance to everyone for their advice. :)

2. white91

white91 Regular Member

Voltric Lin Dan Force springs to mind

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

ZFII + BG80(P) is really hard feeling. Do you have try another string and tension? Try NBG98, BG66Ulti or LiNing No.1 with 25-27lbs?

Arc11 and js10 both good.

4. Babar

Babar Regular Member

JS10 is super stiff, I wouldn't recommend it to you. You should try something easier to tame. Some ideas : BS12, JS12, tk Onigiri, duora 10 or 7, voltric 7, voltric glanz, Wilson recon px7600, SOTX lg800p, lining n9ii, n80ii, n50iii...

5. philipyh

philipyh New Member

I have only tried nbg99 and the thicker strings because I was worried that thin strings will snap especially easy during cold winters but now that i'm back home ill give it try. Whats the main difference between 66 and the 98 ? All i know is 66 is thin and it snaps easily under high tension

6. philipyh

philipyh New Member

Any opinions on the arc11 ? I never really looked into any of these, will do some reading on them. Thank you :)

7. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    ARC11 is a balanced all around racquet with good representation among pros.
    slightly head heavy leaning toward even, stiff shaft. it can do a lot of things well.
    it is the opposite of what you are currently using in many regards.

but yeah i agree-- you coupled a hard feeling string at high tension with an extra stiff shaft on a very head heavy racquet. none of those are ideal parameters for a beginner player.

if you enjoy the VTZF2 for the most part, maybe try the budget minded VTF which is rated slightly easier to wield by yonex.

otherwise, VT70 with some head heaviness and mid-stiff shaft is a nice easy to use racquet with lots of power
    DUO10 is a head heavier and slightly stiffer ARC11
    VT80 and VTLDF are nearly equivalent in terms of head heaviness and shaft.

if you find yourself awful at short serve because of your height, maybe consider taking a couple steps back.

you should probably loosen your tension to about 25 or so and see how that plays for you, and then maybe select a more neutral string such as BG65Ti-- which is a lot cheaper than buying another racquet.
    NBG98 and BG66UM are both .66 gauge. the NBG series i have found more durable in general.

8. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    As the front guy you should go for even balance to head light racket coz you need to be fast and control the game..let the back guy do the smashing most the time.
    I think nanoray 900 will suit you.. great at the net.. decent smashing power should you need to assist back court partner sometime..

9. philipyh

philipyh New Member

I guess I should try a softer string like the 66U before I dump the racket for another one. it's funny because I never had problems with my service before and after I switched to this racket, I can't stop making errors. Maybe because I'm not good enough . I'm 175 so I don't think I'm that short too. I tend to think that 25 is kinda low and the power and control will not be as good but the 66u breaks easily right when tied at a high tension?

I'll definitely go do some reading on the rackets you recommended. Thank you

10. philipyh

philipyh New Member

I saw alot of good things about this racket but I was worried that the smashing power might be lacking considering that Im not that strong. So many good recommendations but cant get to try them all. it would cost me a few thousand to buy all of them considering the ringgit is so weak now :(

Would you happen to know anywhere in Msia / SG shop that people get to test before buying.

11. LightSaber

LightSaber Regular Member

Smasher
    For me nr900 more towards even balance racket.. not a head light so smashing will not compromised too much. But still..it might not suit everyone.

Im not sure which shop offer testing yonex racket in malaysia.. one shop here provide testing racket but protech brand.

Ive been playing using vt ld force now.. and i think its a fast racket from voltric family (u seems to interested in voltric i believe). U might want to try it

12. Babar

Babar Regular Member

Arc11 stiffness is manageable. It's not an easy racquet to play nonetheless.
    You didn't really talk about your badminton skills. If you are a beginner I wouldn't reccomend the arc11. Look for something with medium flex, and neutral or slighlty head heavy.
    I know it is tempting to buy the best gear available, but more than often, people don't realize that a cheaper racquet would make them play better. I made the same mistake, buying a JS10 after a 8 years break from badminton. Even though I could play with it, it was way too harsh for my body and I experienced elbow and wrist pain. Now I feel a lot better, and play better with flexier racquets.

13. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

What Babar said above is very true, abt not using a hi-end racket unless you are at least a decent/good intermediate player. I had played in Singapore U-18 finals in SBH in 1981, as a single player for my JC then, yet i preferred YY Ti-7 instead of Ti-10, Armotec 300 instead of AT900P. Esp now that i'm in my 50's, i play better with mid-end products because i can handle them better. Get a flexier shaft and even balance racket and practise better techniques. As your physique and skills improve you can get more benefits from stiffer and heavier rackets.

Esp in modern doubles, we don't need powerful rackets as much as we need fast rackets. The power comes from us the players, it doesn't come from the rackets.

Also, in doubles more points are made not from the smashes from the back of the court, they are made in intercepts, drives and "weak returns" smashes

#13 sautom88, May 1, 2017
    Last edited: May 1, 2017
  14. philipyh

philipyh New Member

Yes, naturally I tend to lean towards voltric because I see people giving it good reviews for its power. Will definitely consider the 900 , thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. philipyh

philipyh New Member

I used to represent state back when I was in high school. And I'm now in my early 20s. Although it's one of the weaker states but I would say that I'm quite decent at the game. I will probably try another string before getting a new racket. The thing Is nowadays people only have the high end rackets and reviews are only geared towards them so even if I did wanna try I probably can't find it unless I buy them.

16. philipyh

philipyh New Member

Can't agree more with you, will definitely look towards getting a lighter and faster racket.

17. offbad

offbad Regular Member

student
    NR900 would not be a good starting point, it is rated extra stiff.

18. philipyh

philipyh New Member

Extra stiff seems like not the cuppa tea for my shoulder. But compared to the zf2 it should be less stiff right? I'm seriously considering the z speed also

#18 philipyh, May 2, 2017
    Last edited: May 2, 2017
  19. swsh

swsh Regular Member

Student
    If you're label of a noob advance is true, then why not an apacs virtuso performance? Or even apacs virtuso performance ii? Might not be the first contender on your list but give it a shot maybe?

I don't see the reason to throw so much money out there and find another racket that doesn't suit you. May I also suggest you move strings from 80p to 80?

20. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Not really, head light rackets feel stiffer because there's less weight on the other end of the stick to bend the shaft.

dave010 likes this.