Which machine to buy for personal use?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by minidragon, Apr 26, 2017.

1. minidragon

minidragon New Member

Student
    Hello all,
    I been researching for a few months already. still haven't having a hard time on deciding which machine to get.
    it seems like some people say Eagnas and Pro's Pro are not good, because their quality is bad (Can anyone who own any of these machine confirm again?)

I am buying from USA, so I don't really have a lot of options when it comes to Europe Machines like the Superstringer S70. I can't order it unless I pay a heavy shipping cost.
    Even with Pro's Pro I would have to order from racquetdepot.co.uk, any Pro's Pro from a US site is almost always overpriced.

I tried looking on Ebay, and Craigslist but, it been a few months and I still haven't be able to find a good deal for a used machine. I am looking around LA area.

I narrowed down to a few options, but I can't seem to decide which is better. if anyone can give me more inputs that would be very helpful.

Pro's Pro Pilot. $450 from racquetdepot.co.uk. (I considered this machine is because of the price is very good, but the question is can I string badminton rackets from this machine without buying additional parts? And People are saying don't buy PP, because their quality is bad, anyone own the machine, can confirm again please?
    Gamma X-6FC - $550 from midwestsports.com (I hear good things about Gamma's quality, but this machine comes with a 5 teeth Clamps, I emailed gamma about it, they said I can use it to string badminton rackets fine, can anyone also confirm this? or do I need to buy 4 teeth clamps? which cost more money. Another issue for me is that this is a Drop Weights Machine, I would prefer a Crank machine like the PP)
    Gamma X-ST. $800 from midwestsports.com (The only problem for me which this machine is that it's kind of pricy, more than 200+ just to upgrade from DW to a crank. Can anyone confirm that it's worth it to spend the money for this crank machine?).

Last Option is that I see some people buy a cheap base like Pro's Pro Shuttle Express Plus a Wise Tension Head thats about $800 (I think also need to upgrade to Michal Chukel's Support? is that a must?) The only problem I have with that is that it doesn't have fixed clamps. So my question would be, is there a big different in Fixed Clamps and Flying Clamps when you have an electronic puller?

Sorry if my post is kind of all over the place, I really just want to invest in the right machine, because it's not cheap for me. I am just looking for a machine to string my own badminton rackets, not trying to make a living on stringing. If anyone can give me your opinions, or options that would be very helpful. Thank you in advance.

2. DarthHowie

DarthHowie Regular Member

Software Developer & Assistant Coach @ GBC
    Since you are in the USA you should also consider Alpha for a stringing machine. http://alphatennis.webstarts.com/

The Revo 4000 is a comparable. Best to speak to Mark at Alpha. Provides terrific customer service.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

3. minidragon

minidragon New Member

Student
    Thank you DarthHowie for your suggestion.

I did not know about Alpha Machines.

so the Revo 4000 is $700 Crank machine. comparing to Pro's Pro Pilot and Gamma X-ST. The side support looks like PP Pilot and the fixed clamps looks like Gamma X-ST.

4. MikaelK

MikaelK Regular Member

IT Network engineer
    You write in the header, that the purpose for buying a machine is for your "own personal" use...

For reference, I do have the Pro's Pro Pilot, yet it is the one on the stand (Pro's Pro XP Plus).
    Bought this with same reasoning as you, on a budget, and that I would most likely only be stringing my own rackets... Just maybe, if I became good enough, I considered I might be starting to offer restringing for my Fellow players in the local Club.

At present time, 2½ year later, I have now been thru 135 rackets... I started with my own, and quickly got the hang of it, and within long (4-5 month) I started to string for Fellow players, and now even for players from other nearby Clubs.
    And this is still done on the Pro's Pro today... (yet improved with Michal Dudeck's side-support, better clamps and latest a Wise Tensionhead)

That said, I would probably NOT buy this machine Again as a first machine, knowing what I know today.

From start, you WILL HAVE have to buy specific badmintonclamps, as the supplied is strictly for tennis-stringing.. And the cheaper one from Pro's Pro just ain't that good.
    Next, you will quickly feel the need to replace the sidesupport, as the default ones seem to always make access those grommets that they sits upon very difficult (= time-consuming)...
    Lastly, the crank-head would be my last option today, as it operates by the "lock-out" method, and not by constant pull as both dropweight and Wise does. And specially the crankhead from Pro's Pro is a part that seems to suffer from the low price. The consistency between each job simply varies to much, so I had to calibrate with a digital scale before each job.
    In addition, the overall build-quality, and the used design-choices, does make it obvious that they are able to sell at such lower pricepoint. It is just not the good/fluent in use.. There is wobling in the base, no ballbearing for the turntable, but only tube-in-tube. The baseclamps need frequent tightening/adjusting or they will eventually not hold the Lock but release themselves or by light accidental knock. The operation of the clamps themself needs extra force to set/release.. even the brake on the turntable is very poor/simple in design/materials, and need carefull adjustment of the "brakedisc" to not make noices when turning the table...
    All such small details that will annoy you in daily use, specially at a higher number/more frequent stringing-jobs, and that will cost extra in time to finish each job.

So my recommendation, without even having touched a Gamma, Superstringer or the like, would be to dive in with the extra $100 and go for the next step and the better build-quality. And I do recommend to go with dropweight as first choice. It just gives you a better chance to do consistent jobs. The speed gained by crank, in case of an inconsistent one, is not that worth

Regards
    Mikael K

#4 MikaelK, Apr 27, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
    Cheung and minidragon like this.
  5. MikaelK

MikaelK Regular Member

IT Network engineer
    Sorry... double posting... deleted

6. minidragon

minidragon New Member

Student
    Thank you Mikael for your inputs. That was very helpful. I will stay away from pros pro.
    I think I will probably go with the drop weight.

7. sautom88

sautom88 Regular Member

Btw, just out of curiousity how much are average charges per racket? Pls separate the margins on strings, because one needs to profit from stocking strings n cost of unsold strings

8. minidragon

minidragon New Member

Student
    Stringing Labor cost, I would say it ranges from $7 to $15 dollar per racket, depends on how much the person is charging of course.

9. Rimano

Rimano Regular Member

I would second Mikael opinion. Just upgraded my machine and it's true what they say, you never really know how bad a machine is until you try something better.
    Saying that the Pro's Pro Challenger is the equivalent machine to the Gamma X-6FC and has a much lower entry point.

10. penguinarchon

penguinarchon New Member

How is the build quality of the Gamma X-6FC? Is it a good base machine to put upgrades on?

11. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

USRSA MRT & Certification Tester
    Wise words from Mikael, avoid Eagnas and Pro's Pro.

The X-6 FC is a good quality machine that you'd even be able to slowly upgrade up to a semi professional machine over time. It's a solid option but if I was you, I'd spend a little more for the X-ST / Progression STII for the crank system.

12. penguinarchon

penguinarchon New Member

I'm planning to buy a WISE alongside with it, would this be my best option? Should I buy a stand for the X-6FC?

13. shoppingbeebee

shoppingbeebee New Member

14. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Never buy an Eagnas machine, even if it's only for personal use.

15. shoppingbeebee

shoppingbeebee New Member

which one should I go for , I live in vancouver bc, canada. I've looked into Gamma. But I don't want to get into changing parts for transforming badmintion stringing clamp version.

16. yan.v

yan.v Regular Member

Most Gamma machines come with universal clamps and supports now, so you don't have to buy anything else for badminton.

Alpha is a decent choice too.

If you want to go for cheaper/lower quality, Pro's pro is the better alternative to Eagnas. The machine will be as rough, but at least you'll get everything functional and in a good state. But I recommend that you pick up the higher quality machines like Gamma and Alpha, because whatever more you end up spending on them, you'll get back if/when you resell the machine. If you don't plan on reselling the machine ever, at least you'll have the confidence that the machine will hold up for years and you won't be afraid to string other people's rackets on it if it comes to that.

Cheung and shoppingbeebee like this.
  17. fanfaron

fanfaron Regular Member

I wouldn't buy eagnas just because they are too rude.http://www.eagnasinc.com/maxline/bad.html

example: people looking for parts, yes they don't have a eagnas machine, but they are still potential customer, why refuse to help and be so rude.
    "you can't measure one for me, it would take 3 seconds. I need 6 inch clamps, so how do you propose that I find out weather or not they are 5 1/2 or 6 inches. Talk about good customer service.......Measuring a clamp is so basic and simple. Thanks so very much for your efforts.
    "
    maxline reply:
    "If you would like us to measure the parts, the labor charge is $45.00.
    "

Come on, he is still a potential customer willing to buy the parts if it fits...

If I call a store asking if they have number 9 shoes in store, will the owner has me 45 just to check the inventory? Yes maybe measuring is more complicated but still.

And the owner finds it funny so he post it on his website. Thank you maxline for letting me know I should never buy from you :)

Some will agree with the owner, some who don't...

#17 fanfaron, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017