Places to play in Adelaide

Discussion in 'Australia / New Zealand' started by tk009, Mar 17, 2004.

1. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Supposedly at uni studying
    Hiya, well I just inquired about badminton competition to my university badminton since I was planning on joining this year. However to my horror they have just finished selecting teams :eek: :( and so I am facing the prospect of no badminton competitions again this year. So Im just wondering if anyone else from Adelaide know's where I can play badminton tourny's and how (If I could rate myself Id put myself down as a crappy C-grade player).

Also while Im here I think Ill put down the places where you can play recreational badminton in Adelaide for those of you who also live in SA but might not know all the places, and feel free to put in any places I miss.

Sunday's
    3:30-6:00 you can play at Magill Primary School (My old primary school, but I went there before they built the gym with the baddy courts) They people there are pretty good not the best place if your really good but still worth a try I think. P.S I just started coming here myself :D. However the courts here are a bit slippery and are smaller than regulation size (probably for the little kiddies) so its not exactly the best venue. $3AUS per visit

6:00-9:00
    CBC or Christian Brother Colledge, Ive never played here before but I believe this is where Adelaide Uni people train (I was hoping to join this year... owell). $5AUS per visit and $35 for yearly membership however this may only apply for Adelaide Uni students so if your not a student be prepared to pay more.

Monday's
    7:30-10:00
    Glenunga International High School, I only started playing here recently and partly due to this my enthusiam for badminton has been revived. It's a good place to play for people of all levels, however they impose a strict rotation rule. It's also one of the cheapest place I know off. $2AUS per visit

7:30-9:30
    Univeristy of South Australia, Magill Campus. Used to play here until I found out about badminton at Glenunga International High School. It's crowded, no rotation, no shuttles supplied buy your own, and level of play is generally pretty low. About my level in fact :D. The price I forget I dont even think of going here anymore =P.

Tuesday's
    Glenunga International High School, Ive been here once. I do not recconmend this place for beginners like myself. Most of these guys are good (heck they all are), and mainly oldies too, so getting whooped 15-0 by someone old enough to be your gramps is really fun :p. They have spare courts here they wouldnt let us take out Im not sure why but you could prolly have a hit of solo if you do. Not too crowded, and if you dont mind rubbing shoulders with your seniors and stuff its a nice place to play if your good with the shuttle. They use feathered shuttles here unlike the others Ive mention that use plastic. Only downside is that its a bit pricy $5AUS a visit, my advice is go and judge it yourself.

Wednesday's
    Haven't been to any on this day.

Thursday's
    Glenunga International High School again... apart from Lockley's this is one of the better places to play I think. Again not the best place to play if your a beginner like myself, but there was me and a pair of beginners last time I came (Only been here once have to try and lure my friends more often, by the way some of my friends own me at baddy :( ). Also unlike many other baddy places I mentioned you can play singles here which is great :D without waiting for free courts. Also $2AUS a visit

Friday's
    7:30-9:30
    Univeristy of South Australia, Magill Campus. I have to say this now, this is a really crap place to play no other words for it, unless I want a reply about my bad language. There is no rotation and its more like certain groups/families hog certain courts and there are kids running around all the time eg. its overcrowded. Most players here are beginners, with a few that are actually good. I've been going here once a week since 1999, and its gone progressivly worse, and because I cant find a better palce I still do :( . It's $3 a visit and $10 a month, if you know off a better place that is nearby do tell.

Saturday's
    Dont know of any :(

Well that's it from me, but I do know that the best badminton place is at Lockley's or so I keep hearing from my friends. Its the only place in SA that have proper baddy courts where the lights are on the sides, and not above so you dont get blinded by the lights everytime you look up for a clear. Level of play is high I also hear, and this is the place where most if not all baddy tourny's competitions are played in SA so I hear also. However it is heaps far from my place or any of my baddy playing friends and none of us are willing to drive that far so Im not talking first hand just from friends who used to go, and these friends are much better than me. So unless you think you are hot stuff or at least good go, otherwise you can go to get some training the kind where you have to pay money. I have no idea how much it costs. So if you dont like the places Ive mentioned above go to Lockleys, or if you can drive or get someone to drive you there, unless of course your lucky and live walking distance.

Anyway Id like anyone from SA to add to the list of baddy places they know off here, and any tournys that are run along with dates, addresses, and price (I know I havent got any addresses, beacuse I dont know them)

2. manabu

manabu Regular Member

Dr
    r u asian tk009?? I'm sure there r more if u r one :D

3. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Yeah Im asian, Im Viet :D . Im sure there are other places too, but I dont know them which is partly why Im posting this thread :p

4. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

You can get more than that from Badminton SA's website. Can't say I've played at most of these places I've played at Parks once, and it's bring your own shuttles and there were like 2 people that could hit properly.

http://www.badmintonsa.org.au/venuespage.htm

5. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Well remind me not to go there, which Park is it? :confused: Im not sure if any of those places are worth rocking up to, (Im a busy and lazy guy) :rolleyes: Pecheur where do you normally play at? Is it anygood?

Thanks

6. Pecheur

Pecheur Regular Member

Melbourne?

7. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Oh! well I wont be seeing you around then :(

Lataz

8. OveRHeaDCleaR

OveRHeaDCleaR New Member

i add one

u can also play on friday nights 6:30-9:30 at seymour girls college, might be quite pricey altho Under 15 state squad coach, teaches stuff there, and some state players go there, my friends say its pretty good there

and do u still play at some of those places cause maybe i know u from these places

ah yeh theres also marryatville high skool on sundays 3-6 i think 2 dollars for me but i think prolly 3 for u, dunno :S ah well yeh

9. metalmon1188

metalmon1188 Regular Member

hmm

friday badminton at UniSa magill campus just got renovated..so the guy looks great and courts r just shiny ..lol.. the poles r still rusty ..and u gotta pay like $10 per hour for a court..so that sux.,.too expensive

10. metalmon1188

metalmon1188 Regular Member

where else can i play on friday night besides at magill unisa (too expensive ) and seymour? (too far)

11. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

Where do you live? If Seymour is too far for you I suppose Urbrae, Glenunga, and Marryatteville are too far for you also. That leaves St Peters (for Adelaide Uni club members gotta talk to them), Prince Alfred Colledge (dont know when or how it works there I believe they use feather tho not sure) and Lockleys.

12. tk009

tk009 Regular Member

oh and the Parks... which isnt as good as the others

13. andy_s

andy_s Regular Member

Bill Payer
    Prince Alfred College operates on sunday morning/afternoon. Former state junior and senior coach takes morning kids session 10-11 and then seniors play from 11-1. Its all feather shuttles (provided) and costs about $5 for a social visit.

Level of play varies, from beginners and social players all the way through to senior state players. So it caters well for all abilities.

I am a regular and member of this club so if your interested stop by. Be good to have a game!

Cheers,
    Andy

14. bhope

bhope New Member

I am going to be in Adelaide from the 15th till 20th of March. We will put up at Oaks Plaza in Glenelg. Is there a place nearby where I could come and play on Friday night or Monday night or both? I could bring my own racket all the way from Russia but really prefer to hire one. I am also looking for a place where there will be other players because I need a partner. Can somebody help please?

15. Oinkers

Oinkers Regular Member

Pharmacy Student
  16. clive conway

clive conway New Member

Information Designer
    Friday night badminton in Adelaide

The place to play badminton on Friday nights in Adelaide is as the Ranges Badminton Club in Heathfield in the lovely Adelaide Hills. It's only 20 minutes up the freeway from Adelaide, the people are friendly, we cater for Juniors and Adults and the standard is such that you should get a reasonable game whether you're a beginner or more experienced.

Juniors 7 to 8:30
    Adults 8:30 till late

Full details at our shiny new website: www.rangesbadminton.net

I hope to see you there!

Clive.