Post videos of yourself playing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by GTAveteran, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Whoops, sorry!

Your reactions are quite fast.

I see two things that can immediately help your game.

Service action is rather uncontrolled. You are not thinking about it properly. If you look at the racquet head when it hits the shuttle, you see the follow through come off at a tangent. Try making the follow through the same as the direction of the shuttle. Your service action will shorten naturally as a result making it feel uncomfortable.

You can bounce a bit more actively to speed up even more.

2. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

Thanks for the input. I assume you're talking about the second video (camera aimed down net) when you said I have good reactions. I was quite on with intercepting that game (including that one full power smash I returned at the service line).

I've tried adjusting my serves in different ways. I've tried slicing, I've tried rolling the racket over the top of the bird (I don't know how to describe it but it seems to make it drop faster), etc... I never had good coaching for anything so I kind of figure it out on my own. I'm not sure what you mean by making the follow through go in the same direction. If I bend at the elbow, my hand travels in an arc, how can I make it go straight to follow the bird? Do you mean like push my arm forward more than pivoting at the elbow?

I also never learned to split step (bad/minimal coaching) so that would explain the bounce irregularity. I think I do sort of split step sometimes. Like many things, it just feels right, but I have no consistency with it because it was not practiced.

3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

slow down the video. Compare your serve to your opponenet who is wearing the black T shirt.

Yup

4. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

I'll just get him to show me tonight, he's the one who owns the camera filming us and my doubles partner for a tournament on Friday.

At least the short serves I can practice in my basement. I'd practice other things if I had space but it's hard to find badminton court dimensions/flat ground to practice on (like for footwork).

5. gerry

gerry Regular Member

I was just about to reply after watching some of the vid from the net but Cheung beat me to it, they were the 2 stand out points from a brief look at the vid.

In the serve you use a lot of arm rather than than just push through as described by Cheung or you can have a short tap action using the wrist only, this is good for deceptive flicks.

not just the bounce step but you seem to be on your heels a lot, would help if you get some practices to keep you lighter on your feet, this will speed up your readiness for the next movement. it may mean lots of work but when you get it, it's something that never leaves you.

6. LordGopu

LordGopu Regular Member

I'll keep an eye on how I stand to confirm, but I don't think I'm normally on my heels. Even if my heels are down, I think my weight is shifted forward in my shoes, but like I said, I'll check when I play on Friday. I might have got lazy during that match and done it though, it wasn't a fair match with balanced teams.

I still didn't get my partner to show me how he serves. I'll ask him when I see him next Monday. I always used a lot of arm movement because I found it easier to push like that rather than smack the bird by accident with a short movement. But that was when I was first learning, so I think I can probably manage a short tapping motion now without losing control. Like I said, at least that I can practice in my basement.

7. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Testing the N9-ii right now, it's a really fun racket so far. This is some footage of me playing singles - not something I do well at the moment, in my own opinion, but I also think I've been improving after 4 years of not playing it in competition at all :D
    Still have some issues with the footwork backwards and keeping the pressure up when I have an advantage within the rally, I play too many risky shots and give away advantages by taking it easy too often. I also need a week more or so to get back from some back issues, which prevented me from training properly for almost a month :/

Part 2 is on its way. I'm the one in blue. Any comment are appreciated very much, especially if it's constructive criticism :)

8. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    The rallies are really short, and it's really hard to provide feedback as a result. You both look very unprepared for your opponent's next shot. Very few of the rallies are going past the 10 shot mark :/

9. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

That's my singles play for ya :D I never really rally a lot. Usually, it's because I play a lot of disguised/risky shots that tend to decide rallies (not entirely intentional, it's just what I do instinctively), but in this case, it's also because I have trouble with this particular guy. He plays pretty unconventionally and it throws me off, he also has a sick cut drop that lands short of the service line. I think in the first game you'll see me fail to retrieve it :D

My main problem right now preventing me from playing longer rallies - as I see it, at least - is problematic footwork. I feel like I lack a bit of explosiveness, but maybe there's some technical issues with it as well - wrong positioning, faulty 'pattern', lack of preparation,....that I can't spot...

10. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    In singles, returning to base reliably is much more important than in doubles.

I notice you have some big issues with your net game, largely with taking the shuttle too low. You have the distance, but your posture lets you down, and you end up taking the shuttle lower than you need to in this case. Watch your posture, you lean into the shot, and your non-racket arm isn't used for balance at all.

Your defensive position also wants to drop way down, because it seems like when you're caught off guard you don't have a stable place to push off from.

I think part of your difficulties with footwork is that it lacks the full range and variety available; you're still hoping for a full forehand position on RTH, you aren't able to use step out shots, and there aren't really any China jumps from what I see. This is resulting in difficult recovery, and some clumsy footwork when you don't quite make distance.

All of these things scream doubles player to me :D

j4ckie likes this.
  11. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

My singles in a nutshell :D Thanks for the input!

12. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Part 2 - same night, different opponent. Tbh, even though I won both games here, I don't think I played better. He suits me more, style-wise, and struggled to find his shots all throughout the night. We played some better or at least more amusing rallies though :D

13. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    upload_2017-5-8_12-52-2.png

14. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

I'm having the songs removed, should be available shortly. My own editing is limited to "keep all audio in" and "remove all audio", so I'm hoping the YT removal function does its job properly :D

Edit: should be visible now!

#2594 j4ckie, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
  15. BadBadmintonPlayer

BadBadmintonPlayer Regular Member

Better than game one! Cant say much to your game, but thanks to (team) Smoof. Just got my freshly strung rackets with LiNing No.1 for my match tonight. :)

j4ckie likes this.
  16. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I also noticed that you take some shots lower than you should/could. Especially on the return of low serve you let the shuttle fall down quite low. I know you are going for little deceptions on most of those shots, but if you move faster towards the shuttle you can take the shuttle earlier and still go for deceptive shots without having to let the shuttle drop that much.

j4ckie likes this.
  17. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant

I'm in the yellow.
    Rear court racket prep has improved, still needs more work.
    Got caught out on serves a couple of times.
    Feedback welcome, be gentle, I'm not actually left handed ;)

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

When you raise your left arm for the overhead, the racquet is horizontal and sometimes pointing outwards. This makes is a bit slower in your preparation. Try to raise the racquet head at the same time as your arm. Bringing the racquet head closer to your body as it comes up will help.

19. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    Yeah I'm horribly guilty of that, it's improved since the last video a little, but I need to keep it in mind.

20. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    @Cheung With what you've said in mind, would you recommend just throwing the elbow up instead of back to come across? Because at the moment it feels like I draw my elbow back, I'm watching some LD at the moment, and I can't really decide what he's doing.

@j4ckie rip my doubles apart? ;)