Mathias Boe & Carsten Mogensen

Discussion in 'Denmark Professional Players' started by dubber, Feb 6, 2009.

1. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Sigh...I don't think any of you are thinking on the right path. Cai Yun is a damn experienced player and has influenced the Chinese team in quite a lot of major decisions. Cai Yun could clearly pair with Boe if he wanted to, but I think he doesn't.

Having Boe gain Cai's knowledge would hurt China's chances at the Olympics as Boe/Mo is still one of the top combinations. It seems obvious to me the act of Cai Yun 'asking' CBA is a politically correct way of saying no without offending Boe personally. Cai Yun could have just said yes if he wanted to. CBA now understands why permission was asked and could then say no.

Compare this to a case where the general asks for permission to fight on the battlefield. A general on the field has the right to disregard orders from the emperor. Asking is pretty much a sign indicating he does not want to fight, and the correct decision by the emperor is reject the order.

Don't know if this makes any sense to any of you westerners, but this seems like basic tactical politics to me.

2. blabl

blabl Regular Member

The explanation above makes sense.

3. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    A bit late to say this now that the olympic games are over. But from a brain aneurysm to actually competing in the olympics, all I can say is that he certainly proved me and a lot of others wrong with his miraculous rate of recovery. He certainly didn't play at the level we're all used to, but he and boe went 2-1 in the group stages, winning against the eventual GBR bronze medalists as well (but didn't advance).

Well done to his rehab, coaching, fitness team, and carsten mogensen himself to get to that stage.

ytam1 likes this.
  4. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Cai would not have much to teach to Boe, and Boe could have taught as much to Cai, so Cai would have brought back knowledge to his team.
    This "close-the-door" policies you favour is just the kind of thinking that drives China down.
    By-the-way, the general not listening to the emperor would have his balls chopped.

5. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Disagree, extremely strongly with that.

This is beyond common sense at least to me, and being a HKer you have no excuses for not understanding how the basics work.
    China won 5/5 golds, so clearly they were the best team. If you are the best, why would you hand over your knowledge to someone else on a silver platter? Sounds suicide to me.
    Preparation against specific opponents is evident ALL the time, can be clearly highlighted by lcw ld, i'm sure the same stories apply to md.
    OK, working together has benefits, but the disadvantage outweighed the advantage in the case (cai's not playing the olympics).

The last part is irrelevant, but you can go read some chinese history books.

6. renbo

renbo Regular Member

Why don't you read them yourself?

For the knowledge-protection scheme you are talking about, it is too far-fetch. Cai and Fu were better then Boe-Morgensen, but they were much more talented. Bye and Mo made up by their tactical skills and by the quality of their preparation.

The recent fate of CHN team in WS, WD and MD shows that what other countries' approach to the game is worth knowing. Beside, many different countries do train together ; a lot of european countries train in Denmark, players of Thailand and Europe play in Indonesia, etc.

If Cai has knowledge that could be harmful to transmit to other nations, I am certain he is big enough to keep this for himself.

But perhaps some people above him are control freaks?

Maybe you don't know that anyone with a high position in China is monitored very closely in his contact with foreign affairs?

7. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    how did you know renbo is a HK citizen? He might have grown up in another country and live in HK as a place to work....

Living in a location doesn't mean a person has grown up there. For example, 30,000 French nationals live in HK. Are they HKers?

8. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Okay guys, I've been in several fights with many people on the BC threads, the Victor bias one being the only one I actually feel a bit angry; I feel frustrated at this one but not mad.

There needs to be a readjustment in terms of the level of consideration in:
    1. virtually zero chance of happening
    2. impact being too small
    3. motive/lack of motive

If something is statistically so unlikely of happening and has low impact, the factor should be given extremely little weight. Or else, you won't draw any conclusions if you leave everything as a possibility. People do things for a motive; at the highest level in anything (badminton, politics-when I mean politics, I don't mean people protesting on the streets, I mean people who make the big decisions for the country), people try to get an advantage. Full stop.

Growing up in DBS, it's literally fight, strategize and kill yourself if you have to in order to gain a financial/academic/career advantage. This concept was handed to me at 5 years old.

9. renbo

renbo Regular Member

I believe more then 30,000 now, I see them arriving by big loads! hi
    But anyway, whatever nationality, even a mainland Chinese one, would not ensure correct knowledge of inner circles of high state organisations' politics! We can only make informed guess, at best! Xiaoqiao's guess is not without value, but what I suggest is equally possible.
    No need to call disagreement "a fight".
    Where is DBS?
    Perhaps one have to grow past 5 years old.

#169 renbo, Sep 12, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Off topic - I think DBS is a reference to a school in HK.

11. xiaoqiao

xiaoqiao Regular Member

Oh, DBS is a competitive school, I had experience seeing people in the top level for many things; and being in the top level for a few things. People there do anything to gain an advantage in order to win.

Politics is hard to discuss; I have seen what goes behind the doors in the mainland, but I can't say anything here. Which kind of makes my point moot. But still, the same advantage rule applies, although selfishness can play a role.

I'm 90+% confident my scenario is more likely than yours.

12. Larsmd

Larsmd Regular Member

Hi, anyone knows what racket Mogensen is using in the Denmark and French Open? Its white and very goodlooking i think. Just repainted Duora 10?

13. visor

visor Regular Member

VT70 E-Tune.

And amazing comeback for Mogensen from his brain aneurysm surgery to lose in SF to the eventual winners in Denmark open and winning in French open.

14. Sundis

Sundis Regular Member

Watching and playing badminton
    When will they retire?

15. Smash-Tajam

Smash-Tajam Regular Member

IT
    Does anyone know what is the latest rackets in their hands ? Thanks !

16. SoNoLux

SoNoLux Regular Member

Boe is using Yonex DUORA 10, while Mogensen was last seen using the Yonex VOLTRIC 70

17. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

Yeah, Mogensen has been using the original black VT70 back when it was launched, then he's changed a few times, but gone back to the VT70 a couple of times.

Now it's correctly the white VT70 E-Tune as SoNoLux is writing.

SoNoLux likes this.
  18. Severus Bolton

Severus Bolton Regular Member

Programmer/Developer
    Congrats guys for winning OUE Singapore! More importantly, kudos for systematically dismantling Kevin Sanjaya And Marcus Gideon.
    You just showed everybody that superior skills in Badminton can be beaten by tactical brilliance. Defense is the new Meta!

boon_keng likes this.
  19. Beta2k

Beta2k Regular Member

do you know that the players dont read this forum?

20. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Clearly you read it!

Also nice win for them too. Good to see mogensen in good form