Am I too late to become an International level players???

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Darma Sucipto, Dec 5, 2004.

1. redkingjoe

redkingjoe Guest

CPA
    To be realistic, in a country where Badminton is encouraged, the skills and level of play of a Under 12 are of extremely high level. Please go and visit the Junior National Competition and try to estimate how long does it take for you catch up to reach the National Level. Don't forget, there are a lot of older guys who have been in the Natioanl Team long

To represent your country, you might need to be top 5-10 in your country.

OK. If you are very very serious on "become an international level player" my question is: Where can you move to Top 10 easier with your level of skills? Which Natioanl Team do you think you have better confidence to beat in order to represent that Nation: China, Mal, Indo, HK, UK, Canada, USA, BVI, Sahara Desert,....

By the way, a lot of Hong Kong Team Members are from China and if they stayed in China I really doubt their chance of representing a place to play a match internationally.

2. Darma Sucipto

Darma Sucipto Regular Member

ohh okay...thanks for your advice~~~~anyway if i wanna reach to state level..is it enough for me to train twice a day???(1x fitness training in early in the morning and 1x court training in the afternoon) i mean i am gonna train like this everyday...

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    do you have a coach? it is most appropriate to ask your coach instead of us here as he should know your ability and progress best.

4. Dill

Dill Regular Member

Lazy git (my coach can verify this)
    In your other thread you say you are good in comparison in your school but you have a competition in 5 months where you need to progress further to make it into your squad.

As far as training goes you are looking to train about 20 hours per week, that is what the national juniors do in the UK until they are at a level where they can commit more time, this training is supervised by coaches for the badminton related and trainers for things like running and weights.

For these individuals there are many coaches involved each making notes and comparing and each helping out in their area of expertise where as if there was only the one coach they might not notice mistakes or might not be good in a certain area.

Training on your own needs to be structured towards an aim and also needs to be done properly so you do not let bad habbits creep in to your game or it could do more harm than good, you can train all day but it is no good if you don't know what you are doing technically or what you are aiming for.

At the age of 15 they are already expected to be winning their age group competitions and sometimes the one up from that, so they will be good (top 5) in under 15's and under 17's to have a chance of being selected for squads. At this age they are also preparing for National titles and have an eye on the European juniors as well.

So when you say good, you have to be a bit more than good. The best thing to do at the moment is to get the advice of a coach and formulate some kind of training plan.

So can you give us a bit more information about what you want?

5. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Yes I understand what you are saying, but you need to train to that high level first, and then if you cant make that country, then move to another.

I Think you proved my point by saying HK players are from China- they were trained in a "badminton country" and then moved.

6. wilfredlgf

wilfredlgf Regular Member

Security Engineer
    "... whatever the talent, without the desire... is nothing".
    - Hiko Seijuro 13th, Rurouni Kenshin 'Trust' OAV -

#26 wilfredlgf, Dec 7, 2004
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2004
  7. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    No one can disagreee with that.

8. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    I think a lot of youngsters fall into the trap of asking

"can I be no.1?" "can I still make international?"

Even amongst international youngsters the percentage that will make a genuine transistion to international senior is small, maybe only 1 or 2 in a school year when maybe 20 will be involved with a national squad.

There are no guarantees, many of the most talented juniors fail to even continue the game to their peak. Even if you are no.1 for your country for 5 years in a row at junior this will only increase your chances of senior success, many factors outside your control may prevent it: injury, education, politics, finance, partnerships,

It is fine to have the dream of being no.1 or international but the steps inbetween are more important. Are you training on your own doing everyting you can, are you putting yourself on the line against the best opposition at every chance.

9. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    erm..btw..darma , how much do you weigh?

10. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hmm

hey darma.. im exactly like you.. i'm training on my own and hopefully i can make it big one day.. but im already 18 so i need to get my talents recognised before its too late.. its just that i'm kinda lazy to go for those local tournaments to get spotted, try to go for your national trials and hopefully u can get in..

11. Darma Sucipto

ermmm.......you mean my weight?? I am 63 kg

12. cappy75

cappy75 Regular Member

Depot Support Representative
    You don't wanting it bad enough, it's not gonna happen for you. People who want it bad enough will make it happen. Too lazy to go for local tournaments? That's like saying you're hungry and yet don't want to take a few extra steps to the fridge to look for food. Get into tournaments as early as you can, that's the only way to gain experience and get used to making shots at moments that really counts. Also, you can't claim to beat someone good until you beat him/her in a tournament where everybody plays at 100%.

If your fundamentals are not sound, 18 is abit late to start for that:(.

13. Furqan

Furqan Regular Member

student
    means ur health is quite good.....ie ur fit as far as physical fitness is concerned...i am 16.5...erm...and im only 43 kg. but still i won the tournament in my skool yesterday..lost the first match.badly.won second and third..

14. Darma Sucipto

Do I Have The Chance To Be A proffesional Player?

Hi Guys..Just a question. I have an ambition to become a proffesional badminton player. I am turning to 16 years old this August. And my standard in badminton is like this:

(Singles)
    level A: International players ( Like Taufik, Lin Dan and all those pro players)
    level B: Backup International Players ( Like the subtitute of a national team)
    level C: State Players
    level D: Players which is little bit lower standard from state players (District Level)
    level E: My standard (School Level)

I hope you guys understand the table above. i live in Malaysia. Im training everyday to improve my game with coach and sometimes no coach. So you guys now know my age and my standard. So, do i still have chance to be international player? If not, what should i do? And if yes, how? Thanks.....

15. loverush

loverush Regular Member

Well if you have the dedication and talent, then it is possible.
    I recall someone posting before that one professional player started as late as 17.
    Just work hard and develop good habits

16. Simp84

Simp84 Regular Member

Student
    I dont understand your table :p
    But i can tell u some fact... I have a friend#1 who went hard on badminton when he was 14 and when he reach 16.... he mange to made it into level D only depite his hardcore training everyday...
    And theres another friend#2 who started about 15yo manage to catch up to friend #1 and beat him
    Anyway... I believe some are born with extra ordinary talent... hehe

17. checkthemc

checkthemc Regular Member

None/Student
    everything you do has to be part of training then. No longer can you afford to mostly play for "fun". I hear pros do more than 40 hours or footwork drills before playing a single game. Only if you want it that bad, can you make it work.:eek:. I know i cant do it, but maybe you can.

18. Darma Sucipto

oh okay. Actually i only started holding badminton racket when i was 13. And this is the 4th year of my training and i can beat most of the players in my clubs. Im also actually the best badminton player in school. My coach said that im just 2 or 3 step lower than state players. i really wanna achive to the highest level. So, is it possible? if yes, why, and if no, why?

19. JumpingSmash

JumpingSmash Regular Member

Until now, I still believe that "nothing is impossible" when you have real motivation. Maybe a lot of ppl will say that you are a dreamer, but always think the dream as a tool to lift you higher. Don't reach your dream by dreaming, reach it by training hard and then you will find that impossible is nothing (just like henin-hardenne said:D :D ). Good luck !!!

20. i_two_net

i_two_net Regular Member

Darma,
    it is really quite difficult for folk in this forum, who have never met you or seen you play, to offer an opinion on whether you can make it as a professional. Likewise, I suggest that you take any advice dispensed here on your likelihood of success with a big pinch of salt. Being the best in a school doesn't mean much, as there must be hundreds of schools across Malaysia for 17 year olds. Your best bet of knowing your standard is to sign up for a state or national youth training programme, and have some of the coaches there assess your potential. All this discussion on a forum is really quite useless and may in fact be misleading to you.

Good luck!