Gideon Marcus Fernaldi / Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Espírito Santo, Apr 29, 2015.

1. R20190

R20190 Regular Member

Chartered Civil Engineer
    I think the tactic of lifting high and deep is not a bad idea against the Indonesians but only if your defence and counter attack is strong enough. Fu was clearly rusty and Zheng doesn't have a strong enough defence so it wasn't always going to work out. But by lifting high and deep, they are essentially taking Kevin out the rally and as Gideon's smashes are not particularly strong, and limited in angle due to his height, he is more prone to hitting it long or into the net if he tries too hard to do something with it. He can only essentially vary the lateral placement and the speed.

If it were an on form FHF and ZN it may have been a different story.

You can say timing plays a part, but you don't have a choice when it comes to age. Look at the MS category, there is a huge abundance of talent, it couldn't be any tighter, any one in the top 25 has a chance of winning a tournament yet you still see only a select few picking up the titles consistently. I agree that this just simply accentuates how great LCW and LD are - to be able to stand up to a very crowded pool of talent at a time that is post their prime.

For me, despite their achievements it still remains to be seen whether Gideon/Kevin will be considered in the same light as the former great MD players but so far, it is looking good.

2. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Well saying that rise of kevin/gideon due to many MD retiring or broken up . OFCourse its true. Its like saying that the chinese were once so dominant in women single and women double because no other countries are good enough to challenge them and its wrong for them to win the titles and to seize opportunities at that time.lol. and is it wrong for players to retire? are they gonna play till like Lin or Lee (even so i dont think they will be good already)

3. Alex_Xu

Alex_Xu Regular Member

NON
    what I see...
    It seems like Kevin always seeks the net. give an example you never see him or Gideon take more than 3 shots at the back continuously. when you do Kevin's 3rd shot is always a driving shot. which then allows him to get forward back into their strongest formation.
    just saying ...

4. SpursIndonesia

SpursIndonesia Regular Member

Jung Jae Sung is not known for his height yet he was a great puncher from the back court in his hay day alongside Lee Yong Dae. Yes being taller & stronger with great athleticism is much better for that role, but if the player is good enough, then he IS good enough. No, i have not put the minions on such high pedestal right now, even with the whirlwind of success they've been having as of late. But you can't just dismiss their great level of play by saying that with this particular strategy, then their effectiveness & winning play can be easily muted & stopped.

melon94 likes this.
  5. Alex_Xu

Alex_Xu Regular Member

NON
    I am not dismissing kev and gid's success all i am saying is that for pairs to have a CHANCE they must try and keep kev at the back cause thats the ONLY small weakness overall in their play. By saying this i dont mean hes not good at the back (because he does have the flair and awareness) just not as strong as him at the front... when you get to that level there is no major weakness just strongest formation...
    if you were someone playing against them you wouldnt delibrately move kevin at the front...
    a good example would be ivanov and sozonov... strong pair but sozonov will always try to get forward for ivanov cause ivanov has more angles to play with at that height

6. SpursIndonesia

LOL, actually i am not really addressing or replying your post mate, it was the few posts before that seems a bit disrespectful. :D

Cheer up, i think your observation is plenty fair, regards. :)

7. Alex_Xu

Alex_Xu Regular Member

NON
    Haha didn't mean to be moody just that i thought you are aiming shuttles at me so I have to drive them back lol.

Yongdaez likes this.
  8. badMania

badMania Regular Member

Given that Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo/Marcus Fernaldi Gideon have successfully defended their 5,040 pts from last year, any additional progress will be a bonus that will consolidate their position at the top of the World Ranking.

I wouldn't be that much concerned even if they lose in the QF of the Singapore Open SS 2017 to Lee Jhe-Huei/Lee Yang today, yet another pair who has beaten them last year.

9. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

Yes, Lee Duo very tricky opponents indeed. Would have preferred kevin/markus versus the Mads Duo, the tougher the better. Hope if they go through they face kamura/sonoda in SF.

10. winzerer

winzerer Regular Member

Interesting match begin on SF for them Againts Jap pair or Den

11. joycock

joycock New Member

They are strong against taller hard smash pair but against pair with typical style of play, like the Lees, its like how low can you go. And the cock often get caught in the net, luckily they can pass on to the semifinal.

12. GingerCorslette

GingerCorslette Regular Member

It's amazing to me how sometimes when Marcus is at the back, Kevin is in the front court with his racquet down - and still not get into trouble.

They're a little ahead of the other pairs right now. Let's see how they will fare at the WC.

These two have skill, no doubt, but they gotta steer clear of showing signs of cockiness when blowing out the opponents.

13. GingerCorslette

Wonder how they would've fared against LYD/YYS (or JJS), CY/FHF, MA/HS...

14. Yoji

Yoji Regular Member

WC is not the only title worth of winning. Its played every year so i can say every tour is just as worthy as WC, although i can remember ahsan/hendra as the only pair that has never been beaten @ WC because of not playing in 2014WC. It will be very tough in WC, any pair can win it.

on the case, i think they will have problems against boe/mogensen. seeing how these danes are super neat vs japanese with almost same type of play like kevin/markus and they are the most experience pair on the tour by far.

15. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    Sanjaya/Fernaldi rich boys now , they just got tons of bonus from PBSI, clubs, sponsors and stake holders for their All England victory, Superseries hattrick and being world number 1. All just within this year, a meteoric rise.

Sanjaya spotted showing his new McLaren on his IG.

16. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Wow..can get this amount of income/rewards from badminton?

17. GingerCorslette

Wow, good for them. I do however hope they save/d for the future; you never what happens. Put some away for at least ten years. :)

18. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  19. SpursIndonesia

I don't think it was his, most likely just rent the car or is lent from a fan/friend over there. The guy is young & living his dream, so it's quite understandable, as long as the professionalism is kept at the top of priority.

melon94 and GingerCorslette like this.
  20. joycock

joycock New Member

Hahaha... don't worry, i don't think there is any professional badminton players can afford to buy it. Young and wild yes, a McLaren no...