Celcom Axiata MALAYSIA Open 2017 : Qualification-Quarterfinal (4th-7th April)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by Nine Tailed Fox, Apr 3, 2017.

1. indrg

indrg Regular Member

I am already full spent reading your post; one can imagine what LD must have felt reading this post too.

2. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Phew..I still have my roof.

3. Maurice MJC

Maurice MJC Regular Member

Not surprised at all tbh. Surprised by your surprise though lol. Akane is n°2 in the world and has beaten literally everyone on the circuit in the last two years. Including players like LXR and TTY, and several times, against whom Saina even at her top has always struggled. The only time these two met was in 2014 when Akane was 16 yo, nowhere near her level this past year.

The most challenging players for Akane are tall attacking players such Sun Yu and PVS who can create very steep cross court smash and very high clears. Saina's fast paced game style is exactly the game that Akane loves to play.

#223 Maurice MJC, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  4. Maurice MJC

The TV court scheduling of this year's tournament makes no sense...

5. Maurice MJC

I feel like Okuhara is getting back into a pretty good shape. She might have a chance to beat akane if she survives tomorrow

#225 Maurice MJC, Apr 5, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  6. Maurice MJC

Sindhu interview after her defeat in her grueling match today against Chen Yufei:

“It was a good game overall. I made some unforced errors in the second game; I had my chance to finish it in straight games. Then I gave her a lead in the beginning of the third. She played well; there were a lot of long rallies. I couldn’t control the shuttle on a couple of big points. It wasn’t that I was tired after the India Open; I was ready for the Malaysia Open. It was her day today. She’s a good player, she’d taken me to three games in Macau last year.”

Very mature statement

7. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

ROUND OF 16 (10.00am) => https://www.tournamentsoftware.com/sport/matches.aspx?id=820BC412-0F19-4861-81CC-85895DA4F30D

First round of main draw saw many upsets, a normal circumstances in Premier tournament where all best players are taking part.

Reigning World Junior Champion Chen Yufei scored big headline when she defeated prominent name, Pusarla V. Sindhu in three games. Sindhu who won IND Superseries last Sunday got unexpected outing here, losing in very early round. Chen will take on local hopeful, former WJC Goh Jin Wei, this tie will be televised later on the evening. Other seeded player who crumbled yesterday, the off-form He Bingjiao lost meekly to Cheung Ngan Yi, 13-21 / 12-21. The frontrunners, Tai Tzu Ying, Carolina Marin, Sung Ji Hyun, Ratchanok Intanon passed their rivals comfortably while Akane Yamaguchi fought hard to dispose Indian jewel Saina Nehwal in rubber-sets. Marin is surrounded by Thai shuttlers in her path to semifinal, Nitchaon Jindapol and most likely former World Champion Intanon tomorrow. Yamaguchi-Nozomi Okuhara rematch may happen once again in quarterfinal. On top-half of draw, Sung Ji Hyun-Sun Yu clash is possible last eight scenario and strong contender Tai TY will face either Chen YF or Goh JW.

Badminton greats, eleven-time champion Lee Chong Wei and his long-time foe Lin Dan had trouble to check into last sixteen. Lee was trailed behind 13-17 at second game against Rajiv Ouseph before he's back to rhythm to seal the match, 21-18. Home hero is expected to overcome Hu Yun today. Lin experienced tougher match to eliminate the stubborn Sai Praneeth B. in 71 minutes of play and the explosive Tanongsak Saensomboonsuk will await him today. The Olympic Champion Chen Long looks on his superb form, he destroyed Wei Nan in single digit scoreline, 21-4 / 21-9 and will see younger compatriot Huang Yuxiang next. All Hong Kong affairs will pit Angus Ng Ka Long against Vincent Wong Wing Ki, both of them involved in tight contest to eliminate two rising stars, Wang Tzu Wei and Shi Yuqi respectively. Viktor Axelsen continues his winning streak, outclassed Liew Daren with 21-12 / 21-13 and will face Indian opponent Ajay Jayaram next. Two qualifiers, Brice Leverdez and Jeon Hyeok Jin will face off to eye quarterfinal berth, Leverdez downed 6th seed Tian Houwei while Jeon edged out his senior Lee Dong Keun.

Shocking exit for home favourite, Goh VS/Tan WK who didn't get it right and lost to HKG pair Or CC/Tang CM but good result was produced by home back-ups in MD discipline, Ong YS/Teo EY stunned the established pair Conrad/Kolding in three games, Chooi KM/Low JS also through to second round. Last week beaten finalist, Pratama/Suwardi couldn't maintain consistency, sent packing by Thai combination Isara/Phuangphuapet. It's bad day for Malaysia mixed doubles pairs, Rio silver medalists Chan PS/Goh LY lost three sets to Indonesian underdogs Subaktiar/Widjaja, a setback also happened in last match of the day, Tan KM/Lai PJ also failed to clear opening hurdle, Kazuno/Kurihara.

LIVE TV COVERAGE (Court 1, 05.00pm) :

1) Nitchaon Jindapol (THA) v Carolina Marin (ESP)
    2) Joachim Fischer Nielsen/Christinna Pedersen (DEN) v Kenta Kazuno/Ayane Kurihara (JPN)
    3) Lee Chong Wei (MAS) v Hu Yun (HKG)
    4) Chen Yufei (CHN) v Goh Jin Wei (MAS)
    5) Liu Cheng/Zhang Nan (CHN) v Marcus Fernaldi Gideon/Kevin Sanjaya Sukamuljo (INA)

badmuse, nokh88 and Maurice MJC like this.
  8. Maurice MJC

TANAKA/ YONEMOTO finding their rythm after a very patchy start

SJH in deep trouble in G2

9. Woffle

Woffle Regular Member

Student
    both CHN WD pairs with a 'huang' manage to win.

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

WWow! Jonatan Christie Wwow!

From 15-19 down in the Decider, to 21-19 . Hats off !.

What a player. Superb.

Did I mention against the class of Chou Tien Chen?

gelopisan likes this.
  11. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

A roller-coaster pattern between Chou Tien Chen and Jonatan Christie in close-contested 69 minutes match. Christie had healthy leading in first game but Chou nailed the opening set, 23-21 then it reversed in second game, 21-17 favoured to Christie. At decider, the Indonesian managed 11-5 at interval break then the Taiwanese regained his confidence to catched up even he's just two points away to secure last eight spot. At 15-19 down Christie got momentum to grab 6 consecutive points and clinched the match, 21-19 leaving Chou in big disappointment. 19 years old Jonatan Christie who dubbed as Taufik Hidayat successor by most Indonesian badminton fans stole the limelight in same event last year when he almost knocked out two-time World Champion Chen Long in semifinal, we'll see whether he could repeat excellent run here.

gelopisan and otidh like this.
  12. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Saw GJW played last night. Can't see how she can progress further. No special arsenal that could trouble the season players.

13. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Nice performance by Christie. Hopefully, he could perform better than last year.

14. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    Lin Dan just walk in the park while facing one of the most promising Thai MS player, Tanongsak. LD won it straight set.

15. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Really Impressive from Lin Dan today. Hope he can continue his good form.

16. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    What a tight WD match.

17. boon_keng

boon_keng Regular Member

WOW ! WD match of MATSUTOMO/TAKAHASHI win over AWANDA/ISTARANI was really exciting.
    WD is evolving to be played this way with a little mix of the flat game......good for the game and couch patotoes (like me)

18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Lin Dan wiped the floor with his opponent, a total demolition job, had he not let up a bit in G2, it'd be single digit score in both sets. Tanongsak was dictated to from beginning to end, simply not allowed to play his own game, his favourite tight nets, lifts and thunderous smash setup.

Instead TS was completely outplayed, bamboozled, clueless, lost, his body language telling, simply a beaten man.

19. VSri

VSri New Member

Live Streaming is too slow in the sites that's been mentioned few pages back. Anybody facing issues?

20. winzerer

winzerer Regular Member

nice to see lilyana natsir and tontowi coaching Praveen and deby