Improve my clear shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by The challenger, Sep 13, 2016.

1. The challenger

The challenger New Member

Hey all!

I'm having difficulty in improving my clear shots. Though my friends are not much better than me, I still have the weakest clear and smash. I can hardly hit a cross-court clear.

I'm 21 years old, weigh 51 kg, 165cm long and can do 30 push ups and 10 normal pull ups.I play with plastic shuttles.

So if I want to improve, should I do just more practising or focus more on muscle improving?

Any advice would help.

#1 The challenger, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2016
  2. opikbidin

opikbidin Regular Member

Student
    1. improve your techniques first.
    2. Get a coach to coach you

3. The challenger

The challenger New Member

1)I can't get a coach. They are too expensive for me.
    2) improve my technique by practice?
    3)Do I have enough muscles Required for my height and weight?

4. druss

druss Regular Member

The right technique will let you clear effortlessly. How are you swinging? How do you hold your racket? Look up some grip and swing videos on youtube to see if you're doing it right.

5. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

This is Badminton Englands video. Not perfect in that there is a lot of video and only scant instructions. But it is a start. (Note how the instructor reminds to tighten the grip at impact for that extra oomph.)

As for your muscle mass, you have a body mass index of 18kg/m2 -- which in layman's terms means "scrawny".;)
    But it doesn't mean you're not strong enough to clear. So it must be a technique issue.
    If these kids can do it, so can you. :)

Keep trying, and good luck!

The challenger likes this.
  6. visor

visor Regular Member

7. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

Strangely, I also feel I need to use a lot of strength to clear my shots. When I serve by hitting the shuttle at the lower angle, I can easily bring the shuttle to the base. So, it seems the problem lies on the timing and angle of the impact with the shuttle?

8. Borkya

Borkya Regular Member

teacher
    I might suggest looking at your grip too. Because you want more speed and power you might be unconsciously really gripping your racket hard at the moment of impact which won't help. Try relaxing your grip.

I also tried to get away with "I'm too weak to make that shot" but almost every shot in badminton doesn't need mega muscles to perform well, it needs proper technique. If you can't get a coach, then ask a friend who is good at what you want to improve.

9. Obito

Obito Regular Member

If you feel that when you need to work harder to make a clear shot, there are two reason:
    First, your technique, you can look how to perform online but remember you need to be behind the shuttle!!! you push it toward not upward ( yeap the result is that the bird going upward to the far end but you need to "push" them up. If you let the bird fly over your head, you will need a lot more power to make a clear shot. Footwork is a key here.
    Second, your string tension, If the string tension is too high, you need a lot more power to tame it, but first make sure that your techniques are correct.

The way I practiced is that I perform clear shots 4-5 times a week till I m able to clear it effortlessly. Find a partner to feed the shuttle for you. Good luck.

10. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    I agree with Obito.

Technique
    When you use a lot of strength to hit a clear shot, that's a sign you're not doing it right (not effectively). It could be the position of your body (are you behind the birdie), the contact point of the racket, the way you swing your racket and follow through, etc. While I agree that not everyone is blessed to have a coach service, but it is the most effective way of improving your technique. You could watch different training videos for guidance, but there are none the same as someone who can directly guide you.

Other factors:
    Strings
    The higher the tensions, the harder you have to hit the birdie, and the smaller the sweet spot you have on your racket.
    For beginners, it is advisable to have lower tension as opposed to higher tension.

Birdie
    In my opinion, plastic birdie will often require more power to travel from baseline to baseline as compare to feather ones.

Still, having the proper technique is always crucial in ensuring a good and effective clear shots.

11. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    IMO this isn't an equipment thing. I can clear with any racket at any tension (up to my personal limit) with every shuttle effortless. I suggest following:

You should learn the clear in a relaxed way first, before you can hit it under pressure. Shots under pressure don't let you be focused on your technique. You just do what is familiar. So please start with clears in a relaxed way. You should be more focused on the stroke instead of the length at first. You are learning and can't get valid results asap.

FME most people tend to hasty movements because they want to put too much into a power shot and waste more than they put in.

1. You must be in the right position

This is the most important point for any shot. When the shot is familiar you can also do it secure when you are caught a bit off, but for learning, it's the key.

2. Be focused on the technique and not the result

I know many people who hit backhands and any other shots with a bad or wrong technique and since it work they are happy and don't improve and stuck. Also good players with a great technique practice the basics. I also do and be more focuse on that what I'm doing instead of the result. If you do it right the result will be valid. 100%

3. Don't compare you with others. You can't escape your body.

This will keep you small. Especially when you think about the things which they can do better. You have also quality, maybe in other aspects, but you have. Trust me. :) Always compare you to your prime-version.

4. It's not your body

Regardless how fit you are, this doesn't mean anything. I trained today in a different club and the had the soccer team of their coach's son there. Fit and agile guys, playing soccer at a decent level. With the wrong technique no chance in badminton.

5. Powerful shots like it smooth

If a shot looks raw and beasty, it always has a smoothness and a controlled stroke. You should start easy and smooth. Try to hit a smooth and relaxed clear and smash. Mostly you hit relaxed in badminton. Even if it doesn't look like. Any pressure is bad for the strokes.