Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. rattos

rattos Regular Member

Did they get Zlatan to do the voice over for that video? :O

2. pjswift

pjswift Regular Member

On the contrary, I believe LCW, lately, has been selfish, ungrateful and if I may say so, stupid.
    Selfish because he gets the lion share of coach time and the juniors have to support him at the expense of their own training. If the juniors get to spar with him often, it would show up in their tournament performance. That has not been the case. If LCW wants 3 vs 1 and ' feeding shuttles' support, BAM should arrange outside help and not use his juniors. If BAM is not willing to pay for it, then LCW should. The money is peanuts as a percentage of his earnings. If LCW thinks outside help may not be good enough, these people can be offered incentives to put in their best effort, like getting a bonus when LCW wins the next title, because the 3vs1 and feeding shuttles is a mindless job.

Ungrateful because he doesn't realise what MF has done for him. If it had not been for MF convincing BAM about LCW s talent and going to Penang to get him back to KL, LCW wouldn't be in badminton today. ( He could have been a gangster, contractor or shopkeeper, who knows.) If it had not been for MF assigning Hendrawan to coach LCW, Rashid would still be coaching him. As for the media claim about MF asking him to retire, well, LCW should reflect on what was actually meant. MF speaking to Hendrawan in English, Hendrawan translating it into Bahasa to LCW and LCW figuring it out in Hokkien. Make a guess how much is warped in the triple translation.

Stupid because he refuses to change the way he trains. He expects MF to do it his way instead of changing and learning from MF s way. Would LCW be able to win WC? Unlikely unless MF is his tournament coach. At his level, matches are won on tactics and MF is a tactics expert.

nokh88 likes this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Wow, strong words. Impressive.

Bit surprised you write like this when you wrote the following about me before.

4. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    I think pjswift made some good points.

LCW would have been more successful if he had MF sitting at the coaches' chair at some of his previous important matches rather than Rashid or TSB.

5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Even I am impressed, really a surprise coming from her. Not only this post but also the previous one about MF, so sensible, rational and judicious.:):D

6. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Definitely a different perspective. More successful is very hard to say.

7. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

MF actually have done a very good jobs in motivating LCW as can be seen in AE.

Btw, MF was not hired by malaysia gov to be anyone coach. That is not within his jobs scope.
    His official title is "Technical Director" for BAM , not "Coach" nor "Chief Coach'. All the coaches are reporting to him. Asking MF to be a coach is like demoting MF.

#13227 Micheal8, Mar 25, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
    Cheung likes this.
  8. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
  9. lurker

lurker Regular Member

gasp! u mean that is a form or motivation? getting your player injured and asking him to retire?

Sundis likes this.
  10. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Nice try to twist words

11. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

Q: That declaration has quashed all talk of you retiring after the world Championships in August. Can you keep going?

A: No one needs to tell me when my time is up. I’m still fired up to play. The All-England victory showed me that I can do it if I put my mind to it. I was determined to prove a point to some people at the All-England. I won. I’m still the world No. 1. And I may even push myself until Tokyo. Why should I even think of retiring now? I’ll know when it’s time to stop … a player will know. I’ll stop when there is no more fire in me.

http://www.badmintonfreak.com/lee-chong-wei-will-be-back-for-all-england-2018/

PS: That is what i call motivation. I hope MF can stay until at least Tokyo 2020.

visor likes this.
  12. VSiva

VSiva Regular Member

There is a lot of talk regarding LCW's retirement (or thereof) in this thread. One needs to understand the immense hardwork and personal sacrifices an individual has to make to reach the top of a competitive sport and to stay there for so many years. And it requires bloody single minded focus, mind you badminton (singles) is an individual sport and one has to fend for himself while on the court. Sometimes in a team sport it is much easier to force a decision on someone owing to the team's requirement, nothing of the sort in badminton singles. LCW is out there to win for himself and in that process bring glory to his country. Developing the sport will come after he decides to hang up his sports. Until then he is just a player working hard to earn his next victory in the court.

Just look at Roger Federer, at 36 he is way past the tennis shelf life. Do you want him to retire?

If you think otherwise, you do not understand the mind being the performance machine.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

13. badlove

badlove Regular Member

Court Cowboys
    The only Malaysian through to the quarterfinal of a SSP in front of home crowd is yet again a sole 35 years old LCW.

LCW so deserves an apology from MF, it's once again Dato who saved Malaysian face on their home soil!

Helix99 and lasalleguy like this.
  14. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    the career of a badminton:tennis athlete analogy is not apples to apples. federer does not play for a team, nor is he financially supported by a team. tennis players are free to act in their best interest without ever having to consider anyone else.
    the individual mind of the athlete is a different can of worms. is your mindset that of an individual or team player?

justinloong likes this.
  15. VSiva

VSiva Regular Member

When I called it an individual sport, I meant the fact that it is only *your* skills that will win your battles on the court, you are out there battling for yourself.

I don't know about can of worms, but I know for a fact that you need to be BLOODY single minded to train for so long and remain world no. 1 for so many years :)

Ironically the head to head of LCW and LD was 24-11 at the start of MSP finals. Very very similar to RF & RN. And LCW has been having a good run over LD of late. Ah, the beauty of sports!

16. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Congrats LD for winning his first MO. DLCW gave his best but LD was better.

I don't care who won frankly speaking as this 2 players are legends and in the league of their own. Having a dream final was everything people wanted.....and we got it. How many finals there are out there where 2 close nemesis with age combined is near to your grandfather age but still wackiing young players like what they usually did 10 years ago....but that what makes them both true legends......still playing at their best even when they can retire at any time now....but it is unlikely very soon and if such final is something that both players tend to do more in this many months to come and if DLCW decide to go to the Olympics......LD will damn sure follows...

17. visor

visor Regular Member

Surely one of the main reasons LD wanted to beat LCW so badly at MAS open in front of his home crowd is to make sure LCW doesn't get any funny ideas of continuing to play till Tokyo OG 2020...

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

#13237 visor, Apr 9, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    shooting stroke likes this.
  18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

You'd think that the victory over LD at the Rio Olympics was a psychological breakthrough against his nemesis... - no, not at all! :(

19. visor

visor Regular Member

Just finished watching the MAS dream final... don't know what happened to LCW, but he had absolutely no urgency at all as compared to his QF and SF matches. Totally outplayed by LD.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

justinloong likes this.
  20. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    maybe winning the gold medal would've made the differencce.