Racket weight after stringing/gripped

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Rjman444, Mar 21, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Rjman444

Rjman444 New Member

Hi guys, I'm just wondering what rackets normally weigh after stringing and putting on grips/overgrips.
    As most of you probably know, racket manufacturers use weight classifications for their rackets, with yonex's being the most popular. However, when the racket is labelled 3U for example, is it not just the racket frame that weighs 85-90g? The "finished" racket will probably then be in the range of 90-100g. Does that make the racket heavy then? Or do most rackets that are 3U weigh that once strung/gripped?

I'm just asking as I recently got a 3U voltric 70 and it weighs 106g now and feeling slightly heavy, am wondering if I should have gotten the 4U version :confused:

2. jole73

jole73 Regular Member

The classifications are usually referring to dry weight, which means unstrung with factory grip and without the plastic wrap around the handle.
    I experienced Yonex to be quite accurate with this. Just to give you an impression, these are four examples from my collection:

3U - 99g wet (strings + overgrip applied, plastic still on)
    3U - 100g wet (setup as above)
    4U - 95g wet (setup as above)
    4U - 93g wet (setup as above)

For a rough estimate I subtract 11g (4g strings + 5g overgrip + 2g plastic), so all rackets are well within their respective range.

So 106g seems a bit heavy for a 3U at first, but that would depend to a considerable amount on your grip. As far as I remember, towel grips are heavier than overgrips (no personal experience, have read about that somewhere here on the forums). I know people who apply two overgrips or even a replacement grip on top of the factory grip for a softer feeling (there's one guy at our club who sports a handle almost as bulky as that of a tennis racket; looks pretty weird, but he swears by it).

3. webbingmania

webbingmania Regular Member

My racket was 85g (without string and with original grip).
    After stringing and wrap replacement pu grip (taken out the original grip) the weight is 95g.
    It depends on the string and grip thickness that will affect the end weight of the racket.