Will it happens? LCW v LD. Final encounter(s)

Discussion in '2017 Tournaments' started by latecomer, Mar 10, 2017.

1. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    I, for one certainly hope so. Whoever comes out on top is not the issue. All England's head to head record, 2-1 in favour of LD(final only). LD won 6 times in 9 trips whereas LCW winning 3 times in 6 tries. Past performance has no bearing this time if they do meet.

2. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    seems likely... why don't you start a poll!!!

3. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    Don't know how.

4. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
  5. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Isn't it amazing ? It's a decade now and we are still talking about a Lin Dan - Lee CW Dream Final.

Shouldn't it be high time we see some new blood take over the scenes?

I myself am guilty of wanting to see another Lin Dan - Lee CW Dream Final.:):D

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Well, LCW is through to the final. It's on LD now to make it a dream final.

7. ronk

ronk Regular Member

Mr Dan did not make it. No dream final among the two greats.

8. latecomer

latecomer Regular Member

selfemploy
    LD is not ready. LCW 1 LD 0. We need to be patient.

9. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I guess, as somebody rightly pointed out, Lin Dan didn't want to start that match half-spent as he would've been if he raised his game to overcome his young but very determined teammate, Shi Yuqi, in the semifinal.

Yeah, hope there is a next time. Btw, Lin Dan still has to play at the Swiss Open next week. Can't believe he signed up for three consecutive tournaments back-to-back.

10. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

11. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Frankly, I don't care too much about the result between Lin Dan and Lee CW now, simply want to see them play each other before they fade from the badminton scene.

I mean, the man Lin Dan has denied LCW so many times in the majors, we shouldn't grudge LCW one or two wins in the non-majors. Most importantly, time is no longer on the side of these two super maestros. The fact that these two still pose a real threat to the younger generation is itself a rare phenomenon and a testament to how great Lin Dan's era is or was.

Previous eras aren't like that. Objectively speaking, we really need new blood to step up to the plate and take over the old guards, it's long overdue for the sake of world badminton, its long term growth and development. We simply cannot depend on these two all-time greats for too long to generate interests in competitive badminton. They can still contribute as sport ambassadors without being active competitors themselves to promote its worldwide participation as a recreational sport, whether as casual or amateur players leading to a few taking up the sport as a career choice in the normal course of development.

I myself have to learn to get used to the days without Lin Dan and Lee CW soon.

#11 Justin L, Mar 12, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
  12. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

True, there is Chen Long to take over from Lin Dan and Lee CW but it is not enough as Chen Long's stature is not yet on par with the two luminaries.

13. FeatherDance

FeatherDance Regular Member

Damn :"(

14. indrg

indrg Regular Member

same-old excuse "Lin Dan didn't want to start that match half-spent as he would've been if he raised his game to overcome his young but very determined teammate, Shi Yuqi, in the semifinal."

kiran borkar likes this.
  15. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    One thing for sure, everyone looks forward to any matches between the two. It's like arranging boxing matches.

16. indrg

indrg Regular Member

Yep we shouldn't grudge LCW one or two wins in the non-majors. Let LCW win the AE, the oldest badminton tournament in the world while LD win the major like Swiss Open GP.

kiran borkar likes this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

You mean there's no such thing as a valid excuse? You never gave one in your life and will never accept any excuses from anybody? Really ?!
    You twisted my point, I thought I was making a neutral, unbiased statement unlike some people who can't accept LCW beating Lin Dan in any tournament. Instead, you sounded grouchy and sore about it.

18. Ginsan95

Ginsan95 Regular Member

Tbh you don't sound very unbiased to me. I've come across a lot of your comments, I don't know why but for some reason you had to throw shade or using backhanded compliment when it comes to Lee. For example, this is what you said a few post above you,
    "the man Lin Dan has denied LCW so many times in the majors, we shouldn't grudge LCW one or two wins in the non-majors"
    I mean, what does that even mean? Lee wins the non-majors, Lin could deny Lee all day all night in any of the major tournaments, is that it? Make no mistake, Lin Dan at his peak is not matchable by anyone, but you simply can't let go of the fact that Lin Dan is far beyond his prime and isn't as invincible anymore, thus "haha Lin Dan lost this small tournament that holds no significance, well Lee won it so we shouldn't be too hard on him because Lin has always won against Lee, hahahaha". As a long time fan of Lee, this annoys the crap out of me.

Btw, just fyi, if I were to choose 3 players who could give Lee a run for his money in a series, I wouldn't have left out Lin Dan. Just thought I'd leave that out there, in case people wanna call me out for being a blind fanboy of Lee/hater of Lin.

I am not trying to instigate anything, but I really wouldn't say that you're totally unbiased or being neutral with those underhanded shades you're throwing out there. Just saying.

indrg likes this.
  19. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Your perception is like 'Is the glass half empty or half full?' and no, I don't mean 'Lin could deny Lee all day all night in any of the major tournaments, is that it?', that's for the facts to prove it; you forgot, Lee denied Lin at Rio'16 semifinal and, unmistakably, it is Chen Long now, not Lin Dan, who can deny Lee CW any majors as he did the last three times.

Well, some people who don't want to see Lin lose to Lee in any tournaments could view me the same way you do but from the opposite side. In which case, it can reasonably be argued my remark was aimed at them.

If you can choose to regard latecomer's "Whoever comes out on top is not the issue." as a neutral statement, I see little cause for you or anyone to read more into mine, unless you've some preconceived notions of me based on my other posts which should still be taken on their own merits. Remember, meanings are in people, not in words.

I'd have thought my opening statement alone "Frankly, I don't care too much about the result between Lin Dan and Lee CW now, simply want to see them play each other before they fade from the badminton scene." showed where I was coming from clearly, followed by "Most importantly..." after making that incidental remark which somehow "annoys the crap out of " you, a long-time fan of Lee.

In other words, that remark I made which you and indrg singled out wasn't the main point, obviously, in the context of the entire post #11 and it follows from the OP's statement which I'm in agreement with. In a way, it appears to be you who gave it an 'underhanded' shade of meaning, no matter. Just want to clarify it.

Sadly, every time the topic of Lin Dan and Lee CW comes up for discussion together, virtually nobody here in this forum can be seen to be fair or neutral or objective. Anyway, nice talking with you.

20. Ginsan95

Ginsan95 Regular Member

I wasn't trying to argue against everything you said, it's the little shade you occassionally throw here and there that shows true character, over a whole lot of "being neutral". I am not insinuating that it's a bad thing, you're a fan of the Chinese players, I am a fan of Lee CW, and we may sometime go overboard in those comparisons, but to claim that you're being neutral when you're not, it just doesn't rub me the right way. Sometimes action speaks louder than words. You also always seem to have to bring up Lee every time Lin's status is being threatened. (as in, put down Lee to make Lin look better, in a less obvious way)

Besides all that, I do agree with you, that if Lee CW and LD do face off, I don't even care who wins the match, I mean, I'd still rather Lee win it, but all I know is if Lin doesn't give up towards the end of the game, we most likely would have the best series of games from their matchup in the entire tournament, and I'd rather have a great competitive game over the one-sided slaughter like the AE final. (I don't like doubles)

Rob3rt and indrg like this.