Grommet defect? Grommet falling out....

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by Neosakai, Jun 14, 2005.

1. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Just yesterday I picked up my new MP99 from the stringer. When I got home I noticed there's a grommet that looks like it's falling out.... I have a 6 months warrenty on this, but does this count as a defect? Or will the stringer say it's my fault? The racquet was strung with BG85 at 25x27.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was kinda in a hurry so the pics are crappy, but you can see a grommet that's not properly placed....

[​IMG]

It sticks out....

[​IMG]

and on here you can see that it's not fully inserted..... The one I'm talking about is the 8th grommet from the left

Should I just leave it as it is or should I tell the stringer about it?

2. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I'd probably bring it back to the stringer and tell them about it. You know what they say, it's better to be safe than sorry

3. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I wouldn't worry too much about it.

What's this though?

Attached Files:

4. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Look like the knots, just the tail piece is a bit too long, i think. ;)

5. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    If the gromment is not fully inserted, usually it will damage the gromment faster than it should be (bent). However, just replace a gromment should not be a big deal.

If missing way too much (i.e. string still cutting the edge) then it could be serious, as not only the string will snap faster, the carbon might be cut as well.

6. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Neil: That's a knot, sry for the bad pics.. Not good with cameras..
    Is the tail of the knot too big? Should I cut abit of it? :rolleyes:

Btw... I managed to take a better pic of this problem

[​IMG]

Now we can clearly see which grommet is going to fall out. Question IS...

Is this a serious problem? I hope not, I mean... I just got the racquet. I haven't even play with it. Or should I not worry about it?

Or like Yodums say, it's better to be safe than sorry? So should I tell the stringer about it anyways?

7. bluejeff

bluejeff Regular Member

Developer
    Just push it in and you are good to go :)

8. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Lol I tried that for half an hour... Then I started using a hammar to slightly tap it in. But it's still like this....(this as in the pic right above your post, since I just took that pic)

9. theasiandude88

theasiandude88 Regular Member

student YAY!!!
    i bought a ns8k and a lot of the gourmets look even worse then that. They really look like they will fall off. I just bought it as well, prestrung. Anyone know where I can purchase some gourmets?

10. Jinryu

Jinryu Regular Member

Librarian, RacketsportsMontreal.ca owner
    If you're looking to buy grommets, the cheapest place I,ve seen so far is www.mybadmintonstore.com .

As to the danger of grommets like that-- it's as the others say, if it's too far out that the string will be in direct contact with the carbon, this is bad. A grommet that is in the wrong place is pretty much good for nothing. You should ask your stringer about it-- sometimes grommets go places they shouldn't go (or worse, they get split) because of a hasty stringing job where they use their tools to gouge at it to get the string to pass faster.

I'd take it to the stringer and ask him what's up with that-- it says wonders about the care they put into their jobs.

As to the tail ends of the knots being long, it's a matter of personal preference-- I've never seen it make a functional difference since you're not supposed to be hitting birds up there anyhow. Tails too long do catch on clothing and stuff though:rolleyes:

11. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    I think the stringer tied the knot in the wrong hole therefore pushing the grommet outwards. Knot tying grommets are specially designed to be fat and flatter. Stringer is to blame

12. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    So the stringer strung the racquet incorrectly?!?! :eek::eek::eek:

That was the last thing I could have suspected... Since the store I got it from is a reputable club...

13. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Judging from the pics, do you think the problem is very serious? Or should I not worry too much about it as it happens alot?

14. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

At the risk of sounding bleeding obvious, if it bothers you, why don't you consider taking it back to the shop, telling the stringer your problem with the stringing job and asking her/him to redo it at no charge. If it were my job, I'd redo it for free because it's obviously not supposed to look like that.

Just my $0.02.

15. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    I will, but for the time being I wanna know if this is a serious problem or a minor one...

Now I'm paranoid from what Jinryu said about the racquet not being strung properly :X

16. Quasimodo

Quasimodo Regular Member

If you've got another racquet to play with and you're worried that this one's not been strung properly, then cut the string. That'd relieve the tension on the racquet head.

In the future, if you're concerned about whether or not your (Yonex) racquet is properly strung, insist that the stringer uses the Yonex recommended pattern which is downloadable from the their UK website. Some stringers have their own signature patterns, but I think most would accomodate such reasonable requests (i.e., following manufacturers' recommendations).

HTH.

P.S.: FWIW, I personally don't think it's a serious problem. Cosmetically annoying, yes. Detrimental to your racquet's well-being, no. But, it's your decision.

17. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    I think you just need to push the grommet in. However since its already strung, you may need to push harder or wait until your string snap.

18. Magic Orco

Magic Orco Regular Member

I think this shouldn't be a problem. I've seen worse cases of tube-positions (tubes "falling out" i.e.) and they worked out perfectly fine. The string is still touching only the tube, not the frame, so the string won't be damaged anymore then normal. Tubes are somewhat flexible and will form along the string path, maybe even deform, but that's o.k. I'm a stringer myself. If it were my stringjob I would say the string would hold normally and if not within two months: restring for free.

19. Magic Orco

Magic Orco Regular Member

If you are not sure, talk to your stringer and see what he has to say about it. Maybe he'll restring anyway...Good luck :)

20. splitstep

splitstep Regular Member

IT Consaultant
    There are many different stringing techniques, some stringers tend to tie the knot to the closest hole to save string. But they really should follow the yonex guidlines where the knots should be tied at the 6th and 8th holes. Counting up from the shaft. Otherwise the knot will damage the grommet and they may charge u to get it replaced. I only trust myself and a ERSA qualified stringer or i wont trust them with my precious racket :)