SG open - what times are the matches

Discussion in 'Singapore Open 2005 / Malaysia Open 2005' started by storkbill, Jun 2, 2005.

1. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

Hi, wondering what times are the matches for the Singapore open?

I don't have leave so hopefully the weekday matches are in the evening... 7pm? 8 pm? (the website doesn't give match times yet).

2. Arcos

Arcos Regular Member

depends, prelims should be throughout the day, lasting till night

3. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    There is no way weekday matches can start in the evening. There are simply too many matches to cover. Prelim days start at 9 am. Friday, begin at 3 pm, Sat 2 pm and Sun 1 pm.

4. storkbill

storkbill Regular Member

thanks for the info

5. hunghing

hunghing Regular Member

where can i get the tic?
    i first timer..pls advice
    eheheee

6. hcyong

hcyong Regular Member

Software Engineer
    www.sistic.com.sg

7. magical_phoenix

magical_phoenix Regular Member

Hello, guys! I'm in quite a desperate condition. I need to know exactly where do the athletes stay during the 2005 Aviva Open. I also want to ask whether there is only one type of ticket? I mean are there any VIP seats (those seats right next to the badminton court) because here in Indonesia there are two types, the VIP and the regular seats. Is there such thing in the Singapore Indoor Stadium? And if we buy the Season ticket, which seats would we get? I would really appreciate it if someone can tell me about these. Thanks a lot!! :) :)

8. Fook90

Fook90 Regular Member

Student
    The players would be staying at Copthorne King's Hotel (at Havelock Road). And there is no VIP seats, meaning free seating (for both season and day tickets holders). If you want the "VIP seats", just be early and take the first few rows. :p

9. Deano

Deano Regular Member

Student
  10. Kai91

Kai91 Regular Member

Student
    The tickets are of the same price. It's free sitting so you can pick your own seat. For the "VIP" seat, just be an early bird and get that sit..

11. magical_phoenix

Thanks Kai91!! That really helps.. If so, I'll be the earliest bird ever! Hahaha. Btw, do u know whether the seeded players usually play during the qualifying round? I'm planning to attend the Aviva Open, so I want to know when do the the seeded players like Lin Dan, etc play to save the hotel fares :p

12. ants

ants Regular Member

Entrepreneur , Modern Nomad
    Tournament Schedule

Round(s) Date Time
    Qualifying 27 June 2005 1 pm to 7 pm
    28 June 2005 9 am to 2 pm

Preliminary 29 June 2005 9 am to 11 pm
    30 June 2005 9 am to 11 pm

Quarter Finals 1 July 2005 3 pm to 10 pm

Semi Finals 2 July 2005 2 pm to 7 pm

Finals 3 July 2005 1 pm to 6.30 pm

13. magical_phoenix

If we're going to watch live, do they usually give the detailed schedule for the matches?? e.g, when is fu/cai playing against whoever?

14. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    The Draw

You can find out all the details from the Worldbadminton website as follows by looking at the right hand column and clicking on the Singapore Open Draw:

http://www.worldbadminton.net/Portal/DesktopDefault.aspx

Good Luck! :)

15. magical_phoenix

Thanks a lot Loh!! But do they usually tell what is the exact time when fu/cai is going to play against the particular opponent during the Preliminary Round? 'Cause I don't want to stay the whole day in the stadium to watch some players that I don't know just to wait for his turn.. Hehehe.. Thanks!

16. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Normally the detailed schedule with the times shown will be available nearer the competition date at the venue itself. Go to the relevant website again for the results and other details.

It is not a bad idea to watch other players as well. I was surprised to 'discover' Lee Chong Wei to be such a good player, certainly with great potential, when he played here as a "nobody" sometime ago. Similarly with Simon Santoso who is now ranked third after Taufik and Sony in Indonesia.

You may find the following SISTIC website to be helpful:

http://www.sistic.com/SOPApp/SOPPortal/portal_proxy?uri=zcq.8!DzFGe2k0uY@prtkQshI3PlMs5JAzsJFM

17. magical_phoenix

Yeah.. u r definitely right.. Other players are worth watching too!! I just wanna make sure that I don't miss the match that I've been waiting for though.. Hahaha.. A lot of thanks to you!!! Btw, is it possible to get close to the players in SIS? And is there like hugeeee crowd coming to watch? And are the tickets going to be sold out very fast?? My first time watching sg open live, so I don't have any idea about it.. Perhaps u can help me? Thanks!

18. Loh

Loh Regular Member

Semi-Retired
    Yes you can get quite close to the players if you are very early and go right down to as near to the court level. For security reasons, they will have a barrier to prevent an invasion into the courts but you may be able to get your autograph signed by stretching out your hand across the barrier.

The free seating enables early fans to get to the 'best' seats although certain sections of the SIS are cordoned off for VIPs, the Press, Players, Officials, etc. The SIS is relatively huge for a badminton event and therefore you should be able to get tickets.

If you dislike the cold, bring along a jacket or a wind breaker for the aircon could be quite strong. Cameras without flash are normally permitted. Food is strictly probibited in the seating area but can be bought and eaten at the boundaries specially allocated for this purpose. I think they may continue with providing free games, etc, at the lobby. So, it should be an exciting and fun-filled day or evening for you and your friends at the SIS! :D

19. magical_phoenix

Wow, Loh! Are u a tour guide or what?? Thanks for the incredibly excellent background info :cool: !!! It tells me about almost everything that I want to know except for a few things.. Hehe (sorry for having so many questions, but I'm so excited about going and want to make the fullest of it :D ) So, you are implying that it's not possible to take pictures with the players in the stadium? Such a pity if not ><.. Is the security really tight? If like in Indo it's a bit disorderly, so it's a li' bit easy to get near the players. Hehehe. If yes, how do ppl usually take pics with the players.. (OMG, sorry for going a lil' bit out of topic) Thanks again!!

20. chika

chika Regular Member

student
    hohoho magical_ phoenix so ur going to sg open?? waaaoww.. gudluck!! hope u can meet fu/cai n other players and also get many pictures of them kekeke.. dont forget to post them here.. :D :D