Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. soami

soami Regular Member

^^ Staring at your opponent is also no big deal. In fact, other than taking drugs, I wonder if he has done anything illegitimate at all. After all, wouldnt he be punished for it if he did.
    The point is that we werent talking about legitimacy but attitude and spirit. For some unknown reason people are happy to shift the goalposts and place LCW on pedestal no matter what he does.

2. FeatherBlaster

FeatherBlaster Regular Member

A) We are talking about shots where the opponent has given up and turned his back to the net, some examples show VA being a few steps away from the net.

B) We're not talking about entertaining anyone, we're talking about humiliating them. Exactly as a Neymar had a tendency to do in Barcelona/Brasilien, causing a few opposing sides to want to kick his ass...

I can add, that the opinions expressed by VA and HKV is NOT caused by the current MF row. It has been a long standing opinion in Denmark between other players and experts/commentators as well. I don’t want to mention them here, because I can't be a 100% sure I'd get the list correct.

As I said before, it may be caused by a different training culture / culture as a whole. It's not like the Danes hate him or anything, they have tremendous respect for his achievements and persistence/work ethics. This is another cultural difference, we may say something like this, and really not mean to add too much weight to it. More like an observation. VA and HKV don't like to face LCW on homecourt and they think about these things when they play him. It can wind them up during games, so they tell it like it is.

Cheers,
    FB

justinloong and khoai like this.
  3. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Thanks for clarification. One thing I know about Danish people is that they are very forthright with their comments (but not in a brash sense like many Americans) but not hold it on a personal level.

justinloong likes this.
  4. soami

soami Regular Member

There is nothing cultural about it. No one likes to be humiliated or stared at after losing a point. What you don't like, you don do to others. It's that simple.

Thr Chinese don't do it. They are thoroughly professional. I remember a point where lcw was staring at cl after winning a point and cl was handing him back the shuttle.
    LCW has a character flaw. But it's no big deal. Many people do.

#12984 soami, Mar 8, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    visor likes this.
  5. renbo

renbo Regular Member

LCW very rarely shows his satisfaction/annoyance with himself when playing, but he shows moods towards opponents. Danes often are loud about the way they play, but rarely show anything regarding their opponents. They are in contrast.
    I think LCW forces himself on court so to be aggressive, because it is not his nature and has to pretend to be determined just to nurture determination. That is the feeling he gives me.

6. visor

visor Regular Member

^ Agree.

It's called over compensation. Some people with naturally laid back nature need to psych up themselves to be aggressive in order to achieve a competitive performance mindset. Those stares at opponents are more likely for such a player to work himself up instead of intimidating the opponent.

7. pcll99

pcll99 Regular Member

Cylon
    Carolina's behavior is the worst.

ugendar likes this.
  8. yayachico

yayachico Regular Member

I realise he only stares at opponent after winning a point when opponent is not facing him. Once the opponent looks at him, he will immediately look down (chickened out) n walk back. idw, maybe its the timing or he's scared to do it in their face. As if he is doing it for the sake of the audiences, to show the world "who's the boss?'

9. ugendar

ugendar New Member

10. mb111

mb111 Regular Member

Information Technology
    I agree with Renbo and Visor. In any sport, particularly men singles Badminton, if you lack the aggressiveness, you have already lost the attitude to attack, to win and to dominate the game. It doesn't matter who you play with, either they are stronger or weaker, as a professional player, you have gone through tons of brutal training hours. When you step onto the court, you have already set your mindset to play the best game you want to be ('zone'). Every player has their own style / characteristics of playing. If their action is deemed not appropriate by opponents, they will justify themselves by winning.

11. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm actually quite curious to know if she only developed this shouting behaviour recently in the past few years as she advanced on the international stage. Was she like that in her teens during her national years? I'm thinking her coach Rivas may have encouraged her to be aggressive that way.

12. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

Are both of you talking about the same player? :D:D

Vijay P. likes this.
  13. soami

soami Regular Member

^^ Perhaps you can point out the contradiction in the two -
    "tries to make eye contact"
    "Once the opponent looks at him, he will immediately look down (chickened out)"

14. esppy

esppy Regular Member

All this talk about his stare:

1:33, charismatic as f**k, and the camera is in the right place and angle to capture that stare after he wins the point.

15. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

..... and LCW action will make his opponent felt insulted. Yeah right.

Just ask any sane thinking male, "If a stranger is staring at you and then when you look back at him he then look down and chicken out. How does you feel?" Any sane male will answer "I will feel good man, like I'm a Alpha dominant male."

LOL

#12995 Micheal8, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  16. soami

soami Regular Member

Apparently, this happens after a rally that LCW has won. He turns away mostly, perhaps, because he will get a card for boorish behaviour if he doesnt.
    Taking this all out of context and saying what a good thing such actions are is rather amusing.
    Enjoy.

17. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Still not worse than Carolina Marin. If LCW's action is considered "more humiliating" than Marin's crazy shout, you all should take some break from this.

18. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Lu Ching Yao/Yang Po Han's loud shout also should be humiliating, but you see anyone complaining? No. Then you shouldn't too. Just an eyelook and you all feel "Oh no! He look in my eye! I feel violated and humiliated!"

#12998 CIA-99, Mar 10, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  19. CIA-99

CIA-99 Regular Member

Or when when VA clearly pump up his fist in front of other player when he get points?

20. Micheal8

Micheal8 Regular Member

Wow, an eye contact will caused LCW to get a card. Wow just Wow.