Looking for a new racket!

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by birdbird, Feb 24, 2017.

1. birdbird

birdbird Regular Member

As the title suggests, I'm looking for a new racket to play with. I don't play many competitive tournaments, so it's mostly for recreational play. I would consider myself an intermediate/"low" advanced player.

Currently using the Armortec Tour (aka Armortec 600) and have for the past ... 5 years I'd say, very old racket I know haha :p

I mostly play doubles these days and don't have the greatest smash so if a racket can help amplify that aspect of my game without compromising defensive play too much (or at all) would be great. I'm more of the touch/finesse player (drops, pushes, drives etc.), but being able to smash in doubles is pretty important :rolleyes::rolleyes:

What would you guys recommend me?

Thanks!

#1 birdbird, Feb 24, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2017
  2. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor

Hello brother, as for now there is no such racquet that has the ability to amplify one's smash by a great extent. Only way your skash could be improved is by improving your own technique. So focus on improving your technique instead of getting a new racquet. Hope this helps.

Thank you,
    Vivek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. birdbird

birdbird Regular Member

Oh I know. I was just referring to probably a head heavy racket for just that extra bit of power. No racket or string is going to do much to my smash.

Vivek Bagadhi likes this.
  4. Vivek Bagadhi

Vivek Bagadhi Regular Member

Doctor
    For doubles play head heavy racquet without compromising defense there is simply none. You have to train up your arms and your defense and that will take a lot of time for getting used to.

So if you would tell me about the current racquet you are using then may be depending upon that I might be able to suggest you a racquet that might be some what a little heavier than that, that might aid you in your smashing part.

UPDATE:- Sorry brother I completely missed the part that you are an AT600 user. My bad. Try the Yonex Z Force 2(4U). It is a Head Heavy racquet, has ample of power quality, only thing about it is the compact head, takes a little time to get used to but I am definite you will . Hope that helps

Vivek

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Victor68

Victor68 Regular Member

Read your post and recommendation. I have stop playing badminton for 30 years when I switched to squash. Recently I am back trying to pick up the game again. I am still using my Carbonate 8 racket. Yes, 40 years old racket and it finally broke. Having played squash for more than 30 years, the badminton racket is definitely light to me.

I have used my friend's Lethal 66, not sure of the brand but I think it has an 'a'. I am happy with the feel and I find it quite 'powerful' and light. What would you recommend for a reasonable priced racket of this range? I was looking at the buy and sell section, I am totally lost with so many brands and models.

In short, I think I am comfortable with most rackets and I am looking for one that I can have at least 25 lbs string. I suppose that takes care of power a bit? Thank you

6. UnlimitedPower

UnlimitedPower New Member

I would not dare to recoment ZF2 for doubles player. It is to stiff to heavy... i would suggest looking to Victor Jetspeed 10. Amazing quick racket. And also has a good power.

birdbird and Shenvi like this.
  7. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

I'd also say that ZFII would not be a good fit, if you don't want to compromise your defensive play too much. The racket is surely amazing, but for doubles it's simply too head heavy, unless you have super good reactions and you're really really skilled at the net area.

I'd suggest to try Li Ning N90 III. It's definitely head heavy and has quite a lot of power, but for a head heavy racket it's relatively light (mine weighs 94g with strings and overgrip) and it has that Break-Free frame design (basically Li Ning's version of a bravesword frame^^) which makes it really quick and it gives you amazing control.

dave010 and birdbird like this.
  8. birdbird

birdbird Regular Member

Was actually looking at this racket and the racket Zhang Nan currently uses (N70 II Windstorm I believe?) as well as options.

How is the Yonex Nanoray line in comparison? If anyone knows.

#8 birdbird, Mar 9, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  9. AreYouEvenMad

AreYouEvenMad Regular Member

I have not played any Nanoray racket yet, but as far as I know they're more head light and more of a defensive racket, so you'd probably miss some power that a N90 III could give you.

10. BirdieBeater

BirdieBeater New Member

Hi BirdBird,

I would not recommend the ZF2 as you play more doubles and the ZF2 is head heavy and has a smaller head. The Lin Dan Force would be much more suitable for what you are looking for.