Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. ghooga

ghooga Regular Member

Bean Counter, Student
    From this incident, two things came to mind.

i) LCW might not want to give up yet and we may see him for a few more years.

ii) What his status would be if in the next few years, BAM is able to groom a world or Olympics champion. Don't think he'll be forgotten like KKK/TBH but it'll be interesting to see.

2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

Lee Chong Wei : Cool down ? No way.

“If BAM want me to cool down and make peace with Morten, I don’t think so,” said Chong Wei.

“This is not about ego. This is about what Morten has done to me and everybody has their limits.”

I cannot work with Morten, so it’s hard for me to stay,” he said.

“If I quit, I will just leave BAM, but I will continue to play.”

The world No 1 then added his row with Frost will be discussed with BAM.

“I will discuss the issues, including my plans to leave BAM with Norza soon,” said Chong Wei.

“I will discuss the best way to settle the matter for the betterment of the sport. But for me to be friends with Morten again, ‘no’.”

.http://www.themalaymailonline.com/sports/article/chong-wei-rules-out-reconciliation

volcom likes this.
  3. Nine Tailed Fox

Bravo Chong Wei! Bravo ! Bravo!

volcom likes this.
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

Them fighting words. So he set the ultimatum, either him or Frost.

5. Nine Tailed Fox

Greatest Malaysian Athlete of All Time vs A Danish Coach....Hmm!

volcom likes this.
  6. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    I wonder what is the reaction of the badminton community to this?

What is Gill Clarke thinking? Is she defending her little LCW, or defending her admired compatriot MF?

buibui2 and volcom like this.
  7. visor

visor Regular Member

Not just a Danish coach, but one who helped bring in 2 other OG silvers and some strong team performances.

Too bad so sad that it has come to this, especially when MF is supposed to have strongly supported LCW in his early years.

8. Nine Tailed Fox

Can Morten Frost dismiss Chong Wei for publicly humiliating him in the Media questioning his dignity and intentions ?

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, he's a foreigner after all. Even though he has achieved much, but I have a feeling LCW's lifetime achievements will significantly overshadow Morten's in BAM and the public's eyes.

volcom and Nine Tailed Fox like this.
  10. Devendra

Devendra Regular Member

Student
    Not supposed to, until the moment he was commentating, he used to swoon over LCW.

You need to watch the world championship final of 2011. Despite LD, beating LCW, he goes on to say, that LD's win doesn't mean much, and that LCW is still the best.

11. livewire

livewire Regular Member

in my opinion... LCW should go independent just after the olympic 2012

setup your own team to take care of yourself. focusing on you 100%... learn a thing or two from tennis, something like federer,nadal, djokovic, murray have been doing. LCW has a lot of money and with plenty of sponsorship, there should not be any problem on paying them all... manager, physio, trainer, sparring partner... even chef to ensure specific calori and nutrient intake

and the best part of it... LCW can put the best coach in the coach chair to advise him during the game. not someone mediocore like rashid, tsb, or hendrawan. federer has stefen edberg... djokovic has boris becker... so, LCW can hire peter gade if both of them agree... and if language is the barrier there are chenhong, sunjun, zhaojianhua, guobao... to name a few

really hope LCW leave BAM... so, BAM can focus on new players development

buibui2 likes this.
  12. Nine Tailed Fox

"It's coming It's coming It's coming.............................Yo Yo Yo Yo"

My most favourite lines of Badminton commentary.

13. visor

visor Regular Member

Nah, you have to remember, Frost was supposedly the one who "discovered" LCW when he was in his early teens playing regionals.

buibui2 likes this.
  14. samkool

samkool Regular Member

too pre-occupied to work
    you need a reality check. this is a lcw's career earnings: http://bwfbadminton.com/rankings/2/bwf-world-rankings/6/men-s-singles/2017/5?rows=25&page_no=1 ... the top tennis players make that for winning 1 tournament. add up your suggestions and tell me you still think lcw can afford it, and have enough left over to maintain his lifestyle. for individual sports (tennis, badminton, golf), at the very least your prize money needs to support your team, your endorsement money supports your family. if you have to dip into your endorsement money to support your team, it's a sign your career is ending.

let's look at your tennis model as it applies to badminton... tennis players usually pay for their coach's travel expenses + 4%-8% of their prize winnings.

lcw can make $75,000 for winning dubai ss finals. federer just won australian open - $2,061,290... lcw hasn't made that much in his career. federer's coach makes way more than lcw. see why it's hard for badminton players to be independent? there's no significant money in badminton. tennis players make 15x to 25x more than badminton players.

if lcw has a good year and win's $200,000, start subtracting his travel, his coach's travel for at least 10 tournaments and his coach's fee. now subtract however much you think the rest of his 'team' would cost. what do you have left?

here's a thought: take a good earnings year for a top 5 tennis player (federer/murray/djokovic/serena williams/etc.). they will have made more money in 1 year than the entire bwf prize pool for 1 year (ss/gpg/gp/ic).

what were we talking about, livewire? oh yeah, lcw going independent... you think it's a good idea?

buibui2, khoai and visor like this.
  15. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

This can only come from a heartless LD fan... :(

buibui2, khoai, j4ckie and 3 others like this.
  16. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

I feel that LCW at this stage should restrain himself a bit more, letting it all out in such an adversarial manner is showing disrespect to Morten Frost, the technical director, who is once his benefactor, sort of, and staunch fan as well, but also to BAM itself who already promised to look into his complaints.

Personally, I'm somewhat put off by LCW's behaviour, so unbecoming of him, perhaps we don't really know him, his public persona is very different, even misleading. Morten not taking action quickly enough about the new slippery floor mat could be an oversight (maybe he's instructed the person in-charge to contact the supplier or requested for something to be done about it but it takes time, short of changing the floor mat) and his asking Hendrawan if LCW is going to retire could be just wondering aloud,if not an innocent question.

Apparently, their relationship was already frosty for some time, as we now know, Norza, the deputy BAM president was aware of it and has been trying to mediate but to no avail. It appears to me the unintentional floor mat incident leading to LCW's MCL injury and the seemingly insensitive question by Morten constitute the straw that broke the camel's back for LCW.

I can't help thinking that LCW is acting like he's the one calling the shots in BAM, so confrontational, unyielding, threatening and giving ultimatum, leaving no room for compromise. How is BAM going to settle the matter in the best possible manner to negotiate a win-win outcome when one side has adopted such an uncompromising stance ? Big headache for BAM officials being forced to face an either-or situation, thanks to LCW.

Despite this unfortunate imbroglio, Morten Frost should be credited for all that he's done for BAM so far, not least of which is his talent-scouting of LCW, and he deserves nearly just as much recognition as everything the great Mighty LCW has contributed tremendously to MAS badminton for which he (LCW) has also gained enormously from the system and the state in return for a long time.

The last thing MAS badminton needs now is another scandal. Let's hope LCW can calm down, soften his stance and work with BAM, if not with Morten Frost directly, to arrive at a reasonable settlement acceptable to all the parties concerned.

#12736 Justin L, Feb 10, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    visor likes this.
  17. Nine Tailed Fox

Sometimes, I wonder if Morten jinxed LCW right there. :p:D

buibui2 likes this.
  18. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Seriously, I can't think of anybody talking so openly like that as LCW when he's still with the association - it's not as if he's been kicked out or left of his own accord and giving his side of the story - to me, it's tantamount to burning one's bridges but, of course, he is not just anybody to BAM, he is LCW, the one and only. He seems so sure of getting his own way.

19. Nine Tailed Fox

LCW earns much more money than tournament earning. Samsung, Yonex, so many sponsors...I think he will be fine going Independent.

20. livewire

livewire Regular Member

well, last time i checked... LCW worth around 45Million (https://www.outsideonline.com/2107021/20-richest-olympic-athletes) unless the article is lying which l doubt

besides, if KKK/TBH can manage 2M for sponsorship (http://www.serimutiara.com.my/web/2015/04/13/sponsorship-of-malaysian-badminton-mens-doubles-team/) Definitely LCW can get more than that as LCW is much better and consistent player

logically, if the prize money is high... of course the maintenance of the team is high... but if the prize money is not that high... surely the maintenance of the team is manageable within the budget too

so, the way l see it... with LCW current worth going independent with his own team... shouldn't be a problem