Lee Chong Wei ( 李宗伟 )

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by tbleong, Jan 8, 2007.

1. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Malaysia's situation is much worse than China's or Denmark's, imo. China still has Chen Long and Denmark have JOJ and VA.

Devendra likes this.
  2. Nine Tailed Fox

Nine Tailed Fox Regular Member

The Malaysian Bomb - Iskandar Zukarnain Zainuddin.

3. Nine Tailed Fox

Lee Chong Wei blasts careless BAM for his Injury

This injury could have been avoided,” said a frustrated Chong Wei.

“I told my coach Hendrawan about the slippery condition after Chong Yee Han fell last week. I wasn’t comfortable playing on it and so did the other players.

“Hendrawan informed Morten Frost (technical director) and Lawrence (Chew, general manager) but nothing was done then.”

Chong Wei added that the BAM only changed the mats on three of the 18 courts on Sunday.

“They waited for an incident to happen before they did something about it ... this shouldn’t be the way,” he said.

“I wouldn’t be angry if it happened in a different scenario ... but I suffered an injury because the national body failed to take immediate actions.”

The three-time All-England champion was sad to miss the oldest tournament which had attracted his two biggest threat China’s Lin Dan and Chen Long.

Chong Wei also said that he had feared for his career when he fell.

“My first thought was I didn’t want to end my career like this. I went for an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) immediately and they told me I had a torn MCL. Thankfully it’s not as serious as I thought but I still need some time to recover.”

visor likes this.
  4. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I can understand his frustration, though. How this condition is possible at a professional training facility and not be fixed immediately is beyond me. Very unprofessional indeed.

5. Calvin Lee Wei Zhong

Calvin Lee Wei Zhong Regular Member

What is BAM?

6. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Badminton Association Malaysia

Calvin Lee Wei Zhong likes this.
  7. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Since it will take another 20 or 30 yrs as told by DLCW for BAM to possibly find another breed of player such as him then I would suggest BAM to continue to ask Datuk to play or be part of BAM official till age of 65 since here in Malaysia, the compulsory age for retirement for a public servant is at that age also.................20 to 30 years.....unbeleivable.......but yet very true.

BAM should be very ashamed to realize that despite such frustrated sound like opinion is very honestly true but yet they knew that there are nothing can be done to change this as far as referring and relating it to the existing fleet of MS players in the BAM squad is concern.

All of the MS dept players are also to be blame for their current lack of consistent and proud achievement.......so it is very logical for DLCW to give such prediction.

8. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

IMHO, Lee CW, whether to repay BAM and the country or duty-bound, should try his best unreservedly to train, coach, and impart all his skills, knowledge and experience to the younger cohort of players. Frankly, he ought to have done that years ago when BAM devoted so much resources on him alone, then perhaps the MS situation in MAS may not be that dire today. Just saying.

9. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Why should he train and teach all his skills to his compatriots when he is still playing? The reason why he is still on top of his game is mainly because he is so disciplined in his training regime.

10. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Why not in the last few years when he is so sure no one can touch him in MAS ? After all he's benefited a lot from BAM. That's just my opinion.

11. esppy

esppy Regular Member

I'm surprised the English text missed out/omitted the content that "someone (ie. employee of BAM) made fun of LCW at the time when he slipped".

The galls of that joker. Maybe he set up those Victor court mats, who knows.

12. Nine Tailed Fox

Limited budget was the reason the ultra slippery court mats were not changed Acc. to a source.

13. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Because he should be focused on getting better himself and staying in good shape. Does LD train the youngsters in China? Or Chen Long? I don't think so.

14. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Yes, as far as I know, Lin Dan and Chen Long do train regularly with their younger teammates, except that they don't train with each other as they are archrivals, with the approval of Li Yongbo who understands their situation and personal consideration. I've read that Guo Kai used to be one of Lin Dan's sparring partners.

I remember years back where I posted an article relating to Wang Xin personally approaching Lin Dan for pointers and he obliged, even occasionally watching her train and giving her his advice.

15. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Okay then. But how do you know that LCW doesn't do the same? I mean, how do you think he trains playing singles? Alone?

j4ckie likes this.
  16. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Its specifically mentioned in an earlier post that he plays with the rest of the squad. If they dont learn from that, how are they ever going to...you can lead a horse to the water, but you cant force it to drink. Please dont apply your double standards here, its pretty certain LCW doesnt do less than LD to help his team mates, and blaming a star player for the failings of the association or other players is ridiculous.
    If you werent a hypocrite as well, you'd blame LD for the less than impressive performance of the Chinese MS squad outside of himself and CL who doesnt train with him....and that leaves the likes of THW, Zhang WM etc who havent done much to impress so far considering they probably have the best coaching staff and best team to train with.

Please note that this isnt meant to criticise the players, but rather pointing out the obvious flaws in your biased argument.

Edit: I'm also pretty sure LD would name LCW his archrival, not CL. He just didnt want CL to play him too many times so that he wouldnt get better at reading him, and it worked for a long time, CL playing like a headless chicken without a coach designing his game plan and not being trained to counter LD's game specifically. Wasnt until later years that he managed to play well against LD.

#12616 j4ckie, Feb 7, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2017
    buibui2, soulpx, nokh88 and 1 other person like this.
  17. Justin L

Justin L Regular Member

Why are you guys so defensive and reading too much into my view that LCW can and should do more for MAS badminton beyond just sparring with some of his teammates as if I'm really blaming him for the dire situation that MAS MS has fallen into ?

And, j4ckie, your argument always tends to get too personal, with name-calling, unwarranted accusations, etc, what for ?

I was just thinking since LCW is so worried about the pathetic state of MAS MS and for years he has been a huge beneficiary of the system/state more than anybody I can think of as well as confident no-one in MAS poses a threat to him, I'm sure BAM can rope him in to do more for MAS badminton, the more so when he's in his twilight years but still very capable competing actively. I mean ,who knows,once he retires, he may not want to go into coaching for as we know he has his own businesses or other attractive options in mind, then BAM would've missed a golden opportunity to avail themselves of his special abilities to contribute directly to fostering the younger cohort.

CHN badminton is different, there's Lin Dan, Chen Long , and a steady stream of young promising players and, more importantly, the high(est) coaching standard and talents to tap into whenever needed backed by rich and valuable resources which I needn't elaborate. In short, MAS badminton for the last nearly a decade has been all about LCW, the over-reliance and emphasis on him alone to deliver the goods for the nation for far too long has finally taken a toll on him and what about the rest of the team, their progress, growth and development, the issue of successorship, the putting in place a viable system of identifying and nurturing new blood to reinforce the old and outgoing, and so on and so forth ?

I say, both of you are taking too narrow a view of things by regarding what I said only as a blame game, pardon me for saying.

18. j4ckie

j4ckie Regular Member

Yep, definitely our fault for taking issue with you basically calling LCW selfish and in the same post stating LD 'helped' younger players by sparring or watching one match
    I'm not getting too personal, I'm saying your post is hypocritical. A person that says hypocritical things is a hypocrite. I'm also calling you biased, which is not even an insult and also clear as day to anyone who isnt a blind LD fanboy.
    Anyway, dont take this as me brushing your post off entirely, but please dont act hurt every time someone takes issue with your opinion and states so in unmistakable, if a bit harsh, terms.

Back to the topic at hand: personally I dont really see how LCW could help that much, unless he goes into coaching. Most of what makes him special as a player is probably not teachable - he is very fast and has superb defense, and later developed his attacking play, which is pretty standard though, benefitting mostly from his physicality rather than having something special he can teach. Tactically he doesnt seem that special to me, which would be something he could try and teach.

It would be different for LD, who has been a pretty stable player mentally and also played well tactically against many opponents, and I'd be interested to see whether it's something he can teach or if its just something innate, subconscious.

buibui2 and nokh88 like this.
  19. shooting stroke

shooting stroke Regular Member

Professional / Badminton Coach
    Chong Wei ready to quit BAM due to Dane’s ‘high-handed action’
    BY RAJES PAUL

image: http://www.thestar.com.my/~/media/o...hash=E1DD2C853C9F019AB1D4A1415322A4BA2E5AEE9E

[​IMG]

KUALA LUMPUR: World No. 1 Lee Chong Wei has had it with what he regards as the “high-handed action” of Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) technical director Morten Frost.

The two have had a very frosty relationship and it all boiled over yesterday – with Chong Wei saying he’s ready to quit BAM.

And the straw that broke the camel’s back was the knee injury that Chong Wei suffered when he slipped and fell at the newly-opened Academy Badminton Malaysia in Bukit Kiara on Saturday.

Chong Wei tore the medial collateral ligament (MCL) on his left knee and is ruled out of next month’s All-England.

ADVERTISEMENT

image: http://bcp.crwdcntrl.net/5/c=5593/b=37675474

[​IMG]
    “I’ve lost my patience with Morten. This injury is the last straw,” said Chong Wei.

“What’s even more hurtful was the way Morten handled my injury.

“Instead of asking about my condition, he asked my coach (Hendrawan) whether I would retire ... why?

“Doesn’t he want me to play on? I’m hurt.”

Chong Wei said that he had told Hendrawan to inform Frost and BAM general manager Lawrence Chew about the slippery mat at the new court.

The shuttler claims that the duo did not take action quick enough, thus resulting in him slipping and injuring himself.

But Chong Wei’s unhappiness with Frost began way before all this.

In fact, according to Chong Wei, it began during the build-up to the Rio Olympic Games when the Dane stopped the junior players from sparring with him.

The three-time Olympic silver medallist questioned the rationale behind Morten’s decision to divide the men’s singles players into two groups.

Hendrawan and Tey Seu Bock handle the first group, which includes Chong Wei, Indonesian coach Indra Wijaya handles the second group comprising juniors.

“Morten does not want me to spar with the juniors ... why? When I was a junior, I sparred with my seniors. He did this even before the Olympic Games,” said Chong Wei.

“And why break the team into two? Won’t the juniors benefit by sparring with the seniors?

“He does not want to listen. Sports and politics should not mix, but I think Morten is doing just that.

“There are other things too ... involving other players. Everyone is keeping quiet, but not me.

“I’ve been upset with him for some time, but I didn’t make a hue and cry because of Hendrawan.

“Hendrawan kept telling me to be patient and I respected that.

“Now, I’ve lost my patience and I’m angry ... if there’s no solution, I’ll quit BAM.”

Chong Wei later met BAM president Tan Sri Mohd Al-Amin Abdul Majid over dinner to discuss his future in the BAM.

When contacted, Frost – who joined BAM in January 2015 – said: “It’s best that I don’t comment.”

Read more at http://www.thestar.com.my/sport/bad...-danes-highhanded-action/#8VI2Il4DwrvU0Er1.99
    -------------------------------------------------------------------

Things has been getting worse for BAM as DLCW has expressed his anger about how he is treated regarding his current situation and that he will quit BAM if there is no solution in today's Star newspaper.

MFH when contacted said that it is best if I don't comment.

volcom likes this.
  20. volcom

volcom Regular Member

Morten Frost is like a cancer