Pro Players doubles players can't do short serve!

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by London_Player, Dec 10, 2016.

1. London_Player

London_Player Regular Member

admin
    Hello Folks,

Have you guys noticed that they're international high ranking players who can't do short serve, only flick serve. I am looking at English XD player Gaby and few others. There was a Taiwanese lady who must have retired now who was playing with a man who wear glasses, she was also flicking her serve but both we are excellent players apart from their ability to do a good short serve, which is vital in doubles.

Every time Gaby serves, I hold my breath as the opposing player is either ready to pounce or steps a bit back for her usual flick serve. I bet if she could serve well, the pair would be doing much better.

Last few years, I had been struggling with my short serve, as I had lost confidence and I think the Pro top players also lack confidence, even if you practice a lot. Badminton must be the only game where the short serve is difficult to master and maintain!

#1 London_Player, Dec 10, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
    racketman123 and Cheung like this.
  2. Charlie-SWUK

Charlie-SWUK Regular Member

N90 sycophant
    Funnily enough I had a conversation with a few people last night about the state of the England team. I don't think Gabby matches her partner in skill level, and I think if Chris had a better partner we would've gotten a medal and may even be present in SS.

3. London_Player

admin
    Gabby is talented but her short serve lets her husband down, even with her poor serve still they are the best English XD and top Ten Mixed doubles pair and look what they have achieved so far. If only Gabby could do good short serve, they could have been World no.1

4. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    I actually think she's a very mediocre player with strong synergy with a really strong mixed doubles player.

5. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

I don't think she's unable to do a good short serve in practice. I think it's psychological pressure in matches. Anyways, she needs to get this sorted out.

visor likes this.
  6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I agree with you all - I think this was one of Gail Emms' strongest points - the ability to serve low extremely well under pressure. It makes all the difference. You cannot win a game of badminton unless you get a run of points on serve, and I do not believe flick serves are the way to do this.

7. lurker

lurker Regular Member

I think under pressure the current msia top MD also got trouble with short serve

8. London_Player

admin
    The short serve must be perfect in doubles in the International circuit, no wonder some Pro players are struggling, as the rival player is standing right at the front, the server can't flick as they're often faulted by the service judge, so they're must be perfect.

Recently I saw Malaysian XD male player Chan was also struggling with his short serve.

9. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

This is funny because my short serve is good IMO but my flick is much too short. I hate playing people that flick consistently with good length AND in the tramlines, those serves are annoying.

10. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
    I think that Gabi does it not because of insecure service. It has an advantage. The service is always diagonally, so Chris gets the straight replies like smashs etc. A flick to a woman can be a real advantage, but I agree that she uses it to frequent.

Chris is often struggeling at the rear court due his shot selection and they often keep the front/back formation for too long. He is often commited to one side and struggle. A short service could lead pretty fast to pressure to the man. I know we are talking about professionals but everybody, regardless which level, has a weakness.

I doubt that Gabi is unable. I think there is something behind it. We all know in level doubles that service and return of service lead to hard fights about the attack. Especially smaller players can be a real pain for taller players, so I think there is more about the flick than just "She can't do it."

Maybe the OP can open next time the thread "Pro Players doubles players don't know the rules" when we see a game where all players get frequent "Service fault called".

Husdo, alien9113 and dave010 like this.
  11. racketman123

racketman123 Regular Member

Dentist in training...
    Honestly it's a bit embarrassing now.
    I honestly believe that on their day the Adcock's can challenge with the very best, but I don't know what the thinking is with the flick serves.
    This is something I see at recreational level, an annoying player flicking every time. Eventually the opponents realise and just take half a step back, or just commit to the flick and then any advantage they may have had is gone.
    I don't know how this is still happening.

London_Player likes this.
  12. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I agree that the serve should be have a variance instead of beeing always the same. Gabbys flick don't get punished always and hard. They can work from this base.

Take note: Alot players who are known for nearly never flicking, they serve can also guessed. This is why 100% of doublrs player stand at the line.

I think as long any choices don't get punished immediately or in 1-3 hits, it's not the worst one. I would never want to play with a girl which flicks all the time, but as long as they don't get blast away just because of the flick, their must be something okay.

13. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

95% of the time I serve to the T, and the rest are wide serves. I think that when it is done well, the short serve to the T cannot be attacked in a way that gives an advantage to the receiving side. Even if it is anticipated by the receiver every time, the trajectory of the shuttle limits the range of return shots and the angle at which the shuttle comes back. Flicks are very rarely played by the top MD players, and I think they have their reasons why.

14. dave010

dave010 Regular Member

Double post

15. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    You are comparing oranges with apples. MD is a very different game compared to XD. Two men are physical strong, so you don't need to include much tactics about bringing the woman into the game. You also rarely to don't see any attacking rotation in mixed. The woman should stand cross to the attack etc. It's a complete different game with different areas for each person, different areas to exploit, different positioning on court.

IMO the serve to the T is a good standard, but if you ever played against fast rushers you can get a push to the chest of the backcourt player. Some players can do this, regardless how tight you serve to the T will be. A variation of angle etc. can break their routine. I don't want to say that serve to the T is a bad option, but I also had moments when a variation worked better and I robbed them a fraction of a second to react. I think that the option with the serve to the T are limited, but a decent player will find a way to attack it. You refered top MD, so take a look at it and keep in mind that our abilities and strength are lower to return the push.

IMO as long something work fine, it should be used. Regardless flatter smash angle are shots which are normally taboo like a clear. If you gain something, it's okay, but your opponents are not mine and top player opponents are not ours, so the experiences of players are different. I agree that some things are taboo to use them frequent, but rarely used and at the same moment they can be a good thing to add variance to your game and gain something. Just my 2 cents.

dave010 likes this.
  16. London_Player

admin
    Not sure if you saw her games, she can't do short serve, simple as that. If she knew a good short serve, she would have served them on court, on several occasions, she did do some short serve, and it was pounced on by opponent. 95 percent of her serve is flick.

Serving a flick serve to a man, which is expected by the opponent, is hardly an advantage. However, Chris has adapted his game for defending the smashes on his wife's serves. No amount practice can equip a player who had lost his/her confidence, to perform in tense match situations.

17. Jun Wei

Jun Wei Regular Member

I feel the same way too. not only she can't serve. She needs to beef up her defence as well.
    Just look at the defence of Natsir and Zhao yunlei.

18. Rob3rt

Rob3rt Regular Member

Well, Natsir and ZY are setting a very high standard. :D

19. ucantseeme

Z-Force II
    I have met Gabby and Chris in real life, seen their games in real life and as stream, but I don't follow them much, because I like other XD pairs much better. Sometimes I stumble about a match where they are involved.

I can't imagine that she can't do a short serve. Anyway I agree that the everytime flicking is not the way I would go, I would give my XD partner a few harsh words and all you guys will agree that this flicking is disturbing and not the way for a XD. But you say she can't do. I never saw your short serve and can say that you can't do it, too. IMO it's a big rumour. It would be nice if you post a selection how she failed to give your words some strength. She is not a shining star on the XD pairs, but far away from a mediocre player.

20. Charlie-SWUK

N90 sycophant
    If they're both strong why do they continuously fail to make any significant headway or mark in the badminton world? I mean she's surely not so oblivious as to think the short serve is pointless right? This is her profession, I find it really hard to believe someone that does this for a living would make such a foolish error.