what do you eat or drink..

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by sanjay, Jun 6, 2005.

1. sanjay

sanjay Regular Member

...before and after a match?

2. Robin (SWE)

Robin (SWE) Regular Member

Student
    my food intake

Great question, I was about to write something similar since I'm unsure myself.

Overall I can eat whatever I like and not gain/loose weight which is a real drag!:mad: Esp. if you wanna gain weight(prefferably muscles:D )
    A day or two before I eat alot of protein and less carbohydrates. The day before and the day I have court time I cram alot of carb's and some other green stuff.

After the games, or whatever, I'm so finished I eat just about anything:) , I guess it's something like 60% protein and 40% carb's and some other stuff.
    I eat more and more protein since I understand it helps to build your muscles, which I need to do, and carb's to give you more energy. I also use pleaty of butter and fat in my meals but I keep mixing up which of the fats are the good one and that one which is not as good for you...hmmm?

I'm not sure what to drink during(I sweat profusely) the games/practices. I drink water, of course, but would like to know what else is important to have. someone said body salts and minerals or something during the sun jun vs. rasmussen game in '97(AWESOME game). someone plz help me out w that.

Before I started to cram carb's before games i didn't know what I was missing... a tip for you all to try out:)

Oh, and by proteins I mean meat, eggs and stufff like that. For carb's I like rice or pasta, preferably mixed with all kinds of green stuff.

3. pengu1ns

pengu1ns Regular Member

er...
    In between matches etc I just drink a bottle of water with some ribena in it for the flavour and some sugar. Plus its refreshing. Blackcurrant pwns!:D
    The simplest route to success is through simplicity.

4. Jan_BE

Jan_BE Regular Member

IT Support Desk
    Between games, at tournaments I drink water and Isostar
    I ussually eat pasta with tomato-sauce :D

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Mmm?

Well for my friday night sessions, it's always one subway 1 foot long sub which I eat around 3 in the afternoon (gives time to digest).

Usually it's Meatball with 2 layers of cheese and all the salad minus the cucumber and jalepenos no salt and pepper with sweet chilli sauce on italian herb and cheese.

Or 1 foot long sweet onion chicken terriyaki with all the salad and one layer of cheese minus the cucumber and jalepenos, no salt and pepper with honey mustard sauce.

Oh yea with a big mug of milo + milk :D:D:D.

For games I bring gatorade (powder with water mixed at home) and play.

****WARNING****

IF you take a heavy meal and consume drinks like gatorade or powerade which pump your body with glucose it will take longer for your food to digest.

Don't say I didn't warn you

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I'm not too serious about my meal and diet plans but, I generally don't consume any soft drinks, maybe once or twice a week maximum. I try not to consume so much fat and before a game, I try not to intake anything that may give me a stomach ache! I hate that feeling when the john is calling your name in the middle of a match ;)

Milk is definitely NOT preferred on any day of badminton or a tournament. That thing just makes my stomach turn.

I consume lots of water or powerade during a match or tournament, depends.

I also take a multi-vitamin after an intense workout or game.

7. ctjcad

ctjcad Regular Member

For those interested or probably have known already, try to eat plenty/enough of zinc prior to any strenous activities(ie. badminton)..zinc provides energy for your body..you can go to this link

http://health.yahoo.com/news/62722

also, sodium, which is a main ingredient in most sports drinks (ie. powerade, gatorade etc.), it basically acts a "water retainer", nothing more, which means it will hold water from being wasted quickly from your body..i'm sure some of you guys know about this..

8. ruth1

ruth1 Regular Member

Student Athlete
    Carbs, carbs, carbs. I try to eat "Good" carbs as opposed to bad ones. Good carbs would include wheat bread and wheat pasta and brown rice instead of white. But sometimes those options aren't always available, so I'll eat white just to get in a good amoutn of carbs. Protein in important to build/rebuild muscles. Also, greens and fruit are good too.

I try to stay away from sugar as much as possible. I do tend to have a sweet tooth but I've gotten better at resisting sweets when I saw how much leaner I look. It was a surefire way to lose 3 pounds of pure fat. When I cannot resist the craving, I satisfy it with a small portion of chocolate or sweet. It takes away the craving without doing as much harm to your body as would a big fat milkshake. mmmmmm....

Anyway, I also don't eat fried foods (except french fries on occassion, which I justify is a potato which has carbs...hahaha) and I don't drink sodas.

I have a container of ice water with me all day to remind me to keep hydrated even when off-court. I refill it a few times throughout the day.

9. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

This is what I eat when playing a tournament: chocolat, low-fat fish like cod, ham, hazelnuts, bananas and dextrose. When the tournament is over I eat cheese.

10. winstonchan

winstonchan Regular Member

CBO (Chief Babysitting Officer)
    Badminton club nights are usually 6-9pm so I doubt I can grab much to eat after work, but will get something like a bun or a bowl of noodles just to fill my stomach a bit. After games, dinner with friends. But be careful with social dinner after a club nights. You tend to eat and absorb twice as much after exercise as you would without, so dont eat too much and certainly dont eat fat and greasy food. It's very torturing sitting in the restaurant watching my friends eat like pigs.

For matches or higher level standard club nights, I will try eat at least 1.5 hours before match starts, eat to 60-70% full only, but will eat balance diet like carbohydrates, vegetable and meat. Drink plenty of water during match as I sweat a lot. I still think water is the most balanced and healthy drink for me. I rarely drink fancy stuff like Gatorade, Pocari, or any isotonic drinks. Really can't see much difference, and they are costly. Water at no cost. After match, i go home and eat a light sandwich, as after a heavy evening of exercise, my stomach don't seem to want to take in much food.

In-between games, I eat bananas, chocolate, banana chocolate, chocolate bananas....

oooooops sorry :D OK sometime chocolate, sometime bananas.

11. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    Fend.. buddy.. you're such a teaser!! i had to walk home today cause i got out early and forgot my wallet at home :crying: .. no , lunch!! and i usually don't have breaky so :(

12. macca

macca Regular Member

im probably wrong in this but i tend to eat just as i normaly would before a match (except maybe having a meal a bit earlier to avoid playing on a full stomach), then during a match i'll drink just water. After a match i'll just eat as normal again. I should probably pay more attention to the food i eat but ive not had any problems so far :eek:

13. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Lol. Poor you. But I still reckon subway is one good meal to have before a game. Has all the carbos, meat and vege in it. Quite balanced I'd say but I warn you guys again, please eat your food 2 hours before you play if not you're gonna feel bloated and especially for those who take gatorade / powearde those isotnic drinks soon after eating.

14. ErrBerr

ErrBerr Regular Member

Student
    italian hurbs n cheese with chicken fillet.. bit of all vegies except for olives.. personally don't like olives.. so.. so.. olive-y :mad:

15. chinek

chinek Regular Member

Technical Administrator
    normally don't eat before a match. after the match, good old chinese food...:)