What do you do when you're 10-0 Down ??

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by winstonchan, Jun 1, 2005.

1. charzord

charzord Regular Member

Student
    For me, I think to my self "one mroe point, one more point!". It feels such a great satisfaction to be able to claw my way back to the top. As Dorry would say "just keep playing, just keep playing" :p

2. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

If I play against a much better player, I play as it is and take it as a training. If I play against a same level player, I will fight for it. It is one shot at a time. I can crawl back Fight back with everything I can. He not at 13 pt yet. If it is against a weaker palyer, take a deep breath and try to explore his weakness. 2 out of 3 times for me, fight it, stay alert, and take deep breath often in between points so the oppenent think I am tired and can't catch up.

3. DaN_fAn

DaN_fAn Regular Member

Does it also not depend on which game it is??If it is the decisive game then i will obviously go all out,but if it is just the 1st game i think i would play conservatively,sap my opponent's energy while i myself dont move much.

4. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I had a couple of situations yesterday.
    From 0-8 down (in the 3rd game) I got myself back to 12-12. To get 0-8 down I was attacking too much and too early. To get back to 12-12 I was more patient and waited for better attacking opportunities. At 12-12 I remember thinking "right, now lets win this game", at which point my serve became inconsistent and I ended up losing 15-12.

Next match: won the first game fairly easily 15-5 by attacking a lot.
    Second game: went from 4-4 to 5-13 down. My opponent had got used to my game and my rhythm. So I changed it (should have changed before 5-13 :rolleyes: ) to mix in more attacking clears, then around 10-13 I saw him get slower so I went back to all out attack to finish it off.

5. FEND.

FEND. Regular Member

Full Time Badmintoncentral.com/forums camper. Part
    Stop the pace of the game. Change racquet take a sip of drink say ******* prayer and then go back on the court for some retribution ^^ and usually that works :D

#25 FEND., Jun 5, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 5, 2005
  6. sessyargc

sessyargc Regular Member

software engineer
    talking from a doubles game perspective here. a few mos back I was able to play against one of the owners of the badminton club where I play. I was partnered with a very very new acquaintance.

regarding my partner. this was the first time we saw each other. first time I saw his style of play which is true for him also. our opponents, i believe have regularly played together as partners. this puts us in a very bad situation.

I forgot how we pulled it off but we won the first game! I think me and my partner have sound double's games basics thats why we won. (keep hitting the shuttle to the middle)

The 2nd game was a different story, our opponents raced to a scorching 13-2 start. Me and my partner just played it cool and wise. Just played as simple as possible. Hit to the middle. Clear to the back. Force lifts. Keep out services in the box. Using the basics we clawed our way back the game. 14-14. We eventually won in the race to 17.

IMO, the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!) mentality works well in doubles, maybe it also works in singles. Also simple words of encouragement from a partner can go a long way. Don't tense up. Trust that your partner will get the shots on his side of the court.

I do notice that when I tense up I tend to clash rackets with my partner. When I (or we) loose focus and trust we end up going for the shuttle at the same time. When that occurs I know I'm tensed or under the pressure. I don't like that when it happens, but, sadly, it still do happen every now and then.

7. prophet

prophet Regular Member

teacher
    Just remember that there are no 10 point rallies in badminton. By that I mean that you can't hope to score all 10 points at once. For me, I would focus on just getting one point at a time, especially that first point. Obviously you can only score one point at a time so why worry about the next point until it comes up? So if I get that first point, score is 10-1, I know that I won't get blanked for this game. I'm feeling better and playing looser. Usually your opponent is also taking it a little easier, maybe not playing as hard thinking this game is over, so maybe you score a couple more points, brings the score to 10-4. Now your opponent starts getting worried and presses and makes a few mistakes, and you score a couple more, say to 10-7. Now you are right back in the game! Just remember one point leads to another point, but you have to score that first point first.

8. badplayer2004

badplayer2004 Regular Member

me and partner are use to this...and sometimes we do win the game :D..as we kinda start slow usually..especially the very first game of the day....10 points away...you find us still slugging it all out....

9. wirre

wirre Regular Member

Think Cheung gave the best answer. I find myself to be a "slowstarter" so I often gets behind in the first set. But I will always first concentrate to find my own game, not bothering too much about the score. In the end I seldom loose a game that goes to a tie-breaker :D So don't panic if it is the first set and you know that you should be about the same level (or better) as your opponent.

My regular partner (opponent) doesn't have any game plan and sometimes I will trail him by 8-10 points in a set. Half of the points might be my own easy mistakes. But when I've found my game I will 9 out of 10 times turn it around to win the set. The difference between us is that I know why I am losing rallies and he doesn't know why he is winning points in the beginning. Most of the time he says "good game" when losing 15-12, but actually it can have been a totally lousy set in which I've been hitting the net 6-7 times trying to get my drop shots to work and also giving away the other points by clearing to short (not even reaching the double service line). But when I got my act together I will win without much trouble. In total the shuttle might never pass the net more than 2-3 times in any rally, I wouldn't call that a "good game" since there hasn't really been any kind of play worth talking about.

The scoring doesn't neccessary tell anything about the quality of the play but my training partner doesn't realise this........that's why he seldom can manage to win no matter how big lead he's gotten. He doesn't have clue about how and why he wins his points, did *he* play well (in what way?) or did *I* just made the (unforced) mistake? So when I start the come back he never can figure out what to do:)

/ mats

10. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Hmm, I think you should refer to your mentality before your physical attributes of the game.

When you're down 0-10, it becomes more of a mental game than anything else. Some people just continue to crash and burn because they feel a need to force things. Not saying it doesn't work but, I just think you start being careless when you start introducing elements of the game that you're unfarmiliar with or never applied.

The best thing to do is stay consistent and break up the lead. i.e. 10 points down but, if I get 5 there's only 5 left.

11. IvanM

IvanM Regular Member

This happens pretty much with me with a partner who is not quite good

Quite often i use the following tactics...

instead of playing offensive (which is my first choice, to scare my opponents)

i will switch to a lot of drop shots...

the proporsion will probably became something like this

1/10 DRIVING SMASHES

7/10 DROP SHOTS/NET SHOTS

1/10 HIGH LONG SHOTS TO THEIR BACK(inorder to waste theior steamina)

1/10 Smash/ Attacking clear

12. LeoTheBearMan

LeoTheBearMan Regular Member

Student
    if i were down 0-10 in the first set i would try to save my energy for the next set. i would try to forget about the score. something mentally must have been wrong with me that day if i could not even score one point (or my opponent is just really that much better than i am :p ). i would play more conservatively and wait for the second set, where i would give it my all out, both mentally and physically.

if i were down in the second then there really isnt much hope unless my opponent is fatigued. i would try to fight back with a warrior's spirit but if he has
    0-10, things are not looking that happy. i would forget about my previous mistakes and play my best.

13. quicksilver_07

quicksilver_07 Regular Member

Student
    thnks for the tips!

Wow! Great explanation. I really like the way you explained yourself clearly. You have given me some good tips that i am sure to put to use one of these badminton days. Thanks!:eek: