Losing games.

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by Neosakai, Jun 5, 2005.

1. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    I notice I'm having trouble wining games. In my group training, I do fine with the drills. I can drop, I can lift, I can net.

But when it comes to playing a game, like half court singles for example.. I just can't keep up with the shuttle.

Today there were 3 games of half court singles, I manage to win one... But I lost the other two badly. I lost by 10+ points..

What should I do to prevent losing games like these?

2. Dave18

Dave18 Regular Member

Student
    Your time will come when you have enough experience to win games. Nothing wrong with losing, just keep practicing and in time, you'll win with your experience.

I personally do not like half court singles, it's lame.

3. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    lol, thanks for the reply. However, today I lost to someone who I beat before.

I lost 15 points to him, I dunno if I'm too tired or if I really suck

4. alexg

alexg Regular Member

There are times that your game will be off in any sports and people that you have consitently beaten before will win.

Ask my wife. ;)

5. smash_master

smash_master Regular Member

player/coach/student
    dont worry so much i mean it happens to people you just have to accept it and move on, i remember one of my friends whos in elite training and when we play the games are really close like 13-15 or 15-13 but one day he beat me 15-2 and 15-6 i was like wtf to myself i would never do that bad against him. but you know what i did not let it get me down i just said oh well it happens and moved on, i trained harder and well actually loosing that bad motivated me to train harder and well it has paid off because it has never happened again. oh just FYI i dont think playing halfcourt singles proves anything cause you cant really make them run around so dont worry about it.

6. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I would worry about it more. Playing half-court means you don't have so much court to cover. So what you need is technique and consistency. If you have those then you also need fitness, because with less court to cover the rallies should be going on longer.

7. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    So... What do you guys think I should do from now on to help me stop losing game and to improve?

I wanna practice skipping but I'm having trouble looking for a rope :crying:

8. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

I missed that bit before. You did win one.
    Think about how and why you won.

And it doesn't really matter how many points you lost by. Why did you lose?
    What were you doing differently from when you won?
    Did you make a lot of mistakes that lost points, or was the opponent playing winners?
    It's hard to fix a problem if you don't know what the problem is.
    Even harder for us to give advice.

If the opponent is hitting lots of winners, you may need to work on footwork and reactions. Split-step EVERY time.

If you are making mistakes you may need to work on technique and consistency.

You say you can play the shots OK in the drills, so maybe it's a psychological thing. Forget about winning or losing in the half-court singles. Just concentrate on moving well and hitting well. The longer you can keep the ralies going the more confidence you should get.

And don't expect a magical quick-fix. It needs hard work and practice.

9. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I think you're missing an important component of your mental game which is self-actualizing.

You're at an age where you're going to make lots of progress in the game every year so, you should try to maximize your potential in growing by introducing other elements than just, winning and losing.

The fact that you won or lost doesn't really matter, people can be upset with either scenarios because they compare their present performance to past performance.

From what you've stated, you only focused on the aspects of winning and losing, and shifted the blame to fatigue. You're going to have to focus on other things like, was I doing dumb shots over and over again without realizing it? Was my pattern rather noticeable, always dropping on the serve? Am I just very inconsistent? etc...

10. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Thanks again for the replies... I guess I have alot of thinking to do.

I lost the last game because I was very tired after the second game....

I was playing againest the coach on the second game so I wasn't looking forward to win, but rather to score as many points as possible.

But yeah, I should focus on other stuff instead of just winning.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    1. You won over him before, does not mean u can always win easily without any effort / improvement. He might improved faster over time, than u. Of course, he caught u on a bad day might be a value reason as well.

2. Sports could be competitive, but win/lose record is not everything about the game. You need to fight hard, but just losing several games is not the end of the world. Try to do some "after game analysis", see why u win or why u lose, what's ur weakness, and make a plan for how to work hard and improve.

12. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    I think stamina has something to do with the last game, as I couldn't even return a normal serve because I was so tired.

I'm currently working with the skipping rope, slowly.

13. raptorman

raptorman Regular Member

A very important question you should answer for yourself is how good your opponents were?
    The last 10 singles sets I've played I never managed to get more then 5 points, but that was not because I'm bad, but because my opponents were good competition players.

Maybe you are playing against people who have much more experience?

14. macca

macca Regular Member

its all well and good being able to play the shots well in drills, but if you dont use these shots at the right time you will loose almost every match you play. Shot selection is extremely important.

I personally dont like half court singles, but heres a few ideas. Try putting in a long clear, right to the back. This forces your opponent to the back of the court, then when he returns the shot if its a poor clear/smash/drive/drop shot you can simply play a block/netshot right in tight to the net. And if they get it back, whack it to the back of the court again.

Basically, be smart on court, hit it where your opponent isnt - the same applies for any game of badminton whether it be doubles or singles. Obviously if your only playing half court you cant really move your opponent around too much, once you start playing full court singles/doubles the opportunity to play into space really shows itself. If you are playing a match and you always lift it to half court you can expect to loose them

15. heyphilip

heyphilip Regular Member

Student
    i think once the basics are covered, then it is time when you can truly enjoy badminton. its all about STRATEGIES now. i think some peeps here has mentioned it.

besides better techniques, better fitness, i think experience is vital to winning any game in sports. and you only get those by playing better players. taking losing as a learning experience.

practise better footwork, court cover, think two strokes ahead, technique and importantly consistency

studying badminton videos is the best- everyone can pull of the basics, off course some better than others, but watch how they play and adopt some ideas.

Half court singles is very good for practice... my first impression of it was 'this is sooo lame' but i soon relise.. it is an important fundamental when playing singles, and it will take you much longer to see why and how to play if you were playing full court.

#15 heyphilip, Jun 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2005
  16. macca

macca Regular Member

i cant say i agree with you on that one, it gets players into a habit of not using the full width of the court as cross court shots will not be used at all. Sure for practising clears or something then its ok, but not for playing actual singles matches

17. heyphilip

heyphilip Regular Member

Student
    i disagree
    because you want to focus on one aspect of the game, at a time, and playing half court focuses on covering the full length of the court (front and back), aswell as clears, as if you are practising at the net drop shots.. you do not play the whole court.. you just play at the net, or practising with backhand.. you dont use your forehand. this will not effect your game play in proper matches. I HOPE you understand where i am going with this.

you are saying earlier to force your opponent to the back of the court and hoping for a weak returns...now what if the situation is REVERSE, how would you play someone who keeps clearing to back of the line with a mixture of drop shots??? the purpose of being able to cover the full length of the court is not to be put in that situation and make weak returns. this is defence.

I agree playing full court is good and should be played as often as possible, when you have the basics covered, then you can work on strategies.. game play. but in my opinion half court..can help with covering the full length of the court, footwork and defence i.e. " the important fundamentals"

18. tinkerbella122

tinkerbella122 Regular Member

Student
    maybe it's footwork ? I mean if you are doing drills like clear , drop , net , you know easily where the net shot would land so you could just go there without going back to your base or whatever . But in a real game , its more unpredictable so you won't always know where to go . If you can anticipate correctly , it will REALLY HELP during the games and but if you anticipate incorrectly , well the result will be vice versa . So yeah ... I think what you should do is practice , practice , PRACTICE , footwork , footwork , FOOTWORK :D

19. Neosakai

Neosakai Regular Member

Unemployed =(
    Up do this point it's probably my footwork, experience, and strategie that made me do bad in a game.

I would like to hear more about what to do if someone were to keep whacking the shuttle to my baseline and does a net and repeat..

What should I do to change the situation to the point where I can do that to him?

And for footwork, is skipping enough? What else should I start doing?

20. Robin (SWE)

Robin (SWE) Regular Member

Student
    :D
    There is an article here some where which says something like this: If you play without thinking then you will loose and not know why you lost.

I like that line since it shows how important the mental aspect of the game is. Maybe you need to check out how he got you in the situation, and after you know that try to take control of the game and do the same to him.:D good luck

If you keep getting pushed to the base line, as you wrote, then try to do a short serve which would give you the offence imediately. Otherwise do some offensive shot, like a fast drop of something, which disables your opponent to do consecutive clears. Try to interfer his plans and remove his chance of controlling the rally

#20 Robin (SWE), Jun 7, 2005
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2005